Booster pretty much calling out Bo

How many boosters did it take to get callahan and Peterson fired?

How many boosters are ticked off with Pelini?

Think about that.

Or, how many boosters did the writer, Olson, contact and actually speak with before he found one that provided a few observations that fit the agenda?

I know one particular booster who is still thrilled with Bo to this day. I guess it's 1 to 1.

If this was the first time Eric Olson had written an article like this, I'd say it's just Olson doing his job as a reporter.

If it was the second time, maybe.

Or the third.

Or the fourth.

Or the fifth.

But he's been throwing jabs at Pelini and the entire Husker program for years. Lately it's specifically been Pelini, as we've discussed on more than one occasion.

It is not the purview of an AP reporter to lead from the pulpit. He's there to report on things that happen, not create controversy to sell his articles.

Olson has made a career out of taking the worst possible angle out of every story. He's very good at couching his scorn in just enough pablum to make it appear he's at least trying to be balanced. But he isn't, not hardly.

Find me as many Olson articles discussing how Bo is quite secure in his position and I'll buy the "balance" argument from Olson. It's a good exercise for anyone who believes he's remotely fair in what he writes about Nebraska, or Pelini. When that attempt fails, there's only one conclusion to come to. The man's trade is muck. And he's trying to create a market for it any way he can.

• Fire 2
  • 3 years later...

Piecing this together in reverse, it would seem that this guy was one of the boosters who wanted to get rid of Bo but - as the story goes - was too in the minority for it to happen at that point.

Anyway, appears he's much happier with Riley. And still proud of himself.

“I know there have been complaints from people about why they should have to pay $2,000 for a 50-yard line seat,’’ Jacobson said. “Well, it’s because we need the money.

“It takes money to run a program. Schools have to generate it somehow. This has gotten more and more competitive.’’

Many people remain willing to support Nebraska athletics financially, he said, especially football.

“People are willing to pay it, and I’m happy they are,’’ Jacobson said. “Nebraska is not a huge state, but it’s amazing when I get around the country and when they know I’m from Nebraska, the first thing they want to talk about is Husker football and how impressed they are with our fan base.’’

Jacobson has high praise for current coach Mike Riley and A.D. Shawn Eichorst.

“From my standpoint, it’s not about wins and losses,’’ Jacobson said. “Sure, we want to win, and I’m convinced that we will. But it’s a lot more about how we get there and how the game is played and how we’re seen nationwide.

“I am incredibly optimistic about this season and beyond. We have got the right people in the right places doing the right things.’’

OWH

Piecing this together in reverse, it would seem that this guy was one of the boosters who wanted to get rid of Bo but - as the story goes - was too in the minority for it to happen at that point.

Anyway, appears he's much happier with Riley. And still proud of himself.

“I know there have been complaints from people about why they should have to pay $2,000 for a 50-yard line seat,’’ Jacobson said. “Well, it’s because we need the money.

“It takes money to run a program. Schools have to generate it somehow. This has gotten more and more competitive.’’

Many people remain willing to support Nebraska athletics financially, he said, especially football.

“People are willing to pay it, and I’m happy they are,’’ Jacobson said. “Nebraska is not a huge state, but it’s amazing when I get around the country and when they know I’m from Nebraska, the first thing they want to talk about is Husker football and how impressed they are with our fan base.’’

Jacobson has high praise for current coach Mike Riley and A.D. Shawn Eichorst.

“From my standpoint, it’s not about wins and losses,’’ Jacobson said. “Sure, we want to win, and I’m convinced that we will. But it’s a lot more about how we get there and how the game is played and how we’re seen nationwide.

“I am incredibly optimistic about this season and beyond. We have got the right people in the right places doing the right things.’’

OWH

There's a lot of truth here. It wasn't about 9 wins. It was the animosity with the fans and administration, the rants, the embarrassing behavior, and the overall sense that we'd reached our ceiling under Bo. I felt better about the direction of the program after last season than I did after any season under Bo post 2010.

I feel optimistic, too, and I was really, really hoping Bo would turn it around, a-hole or not. It's been a while since we had a fearsome team.

But I also want to see us do this like we used to: Play to all of our potential with minimal mistakes. If we do that and the other team wins, the other team was simply better and we need some improvement. There are numerous games in the past several years where I felt like we were certainly better, as a group of individual players, but not as a team. Hopefully we are headed this direction. I believe that a cohesive 'all in' team can generally win more games than a team full of superstar egos without that cohesion.

• Fire 1