B1G OOC 2013 Predict the Record

Creed

First, let me say I think B1G teams (for the most part) have done a lousy job scheduling strong OOC games. B1G schedules are typically so boring and predictable - 3 MAC/CUSA teams, throw in the annual games vs ND (boring IMO) and maybe a lower level BCS team followed by 8 conference games. Year in and Year out. So let's look at this year's slate of top OOC and take a stab at what the record will be.

1. Mich vs ND (#14) - W

2. Neb vs UCLA (#21) - 50/50

3. Indiana vs Missouri (SEC) - L

4. Wisconsin vs BYU (like how there finally is a ooc game late in the year) - W

5. Wisconsin vs Arizona State (decent PAC) - L

6. Illinois vs Washington (PAC) - 50/50

7. Mich State vs ND (#14) - 50/50

8. PSU vs Syracuse (measuring stick game for the sanctioned program) - 50/50

9. NW vs Cal (meh) - W

10. OSU vs Cal (meh) - W

Pretty boring slate if you ask me and 2 of the games are vs ND which does beating ND really raise the national perception of the conference?

I'd be happy taking both ND games (probably lose the ND Purdue game not listed), W over an SEC team even if it is Missouri, W over UCLA , sweeping Cal and PSU beating Syracuse

1. Mich vs ND (#14) - W

2. Neb vs UCLA (#21) - W

3. Indiana vs Missouri (SEC) - W Mizzou is a joke

4. Wisconsin vs BYU - W

5. Wisconsin vs Arizona State (decent PAC) - W

6. Illinois vs Washington (PAC) - L

7. Mich State vs ND (#14) - L MSU has no offense

8. PSU vs Syracuse (measuring stick game for the sanctioned program) - PSU

9. NW vs Cal (meh) - W

10. OSU vs Cal (meh) - W

First, let me say I think B1G teams (for the most part) have done a lousy job scheduling strong OOC games. B1G schedules are typically so boring and predictable - 3 MAC/CUSA teams, throw in the annual games vs ND (boring IMO) and maybe a lower level BCS team followed by 8 conference games. Year in and Year out. So let's look at this year's slate of top OOC and take a stab at what the record will be.

What do you want from them? They're not doing anything the SEC doesn't do, with the exception of in state/border rivalries they're schedule is just as vanilla as the B1G.

If it weren't for TCU vs LSU, OU vs ND, and Texas vs BYU the Big 12's OOC schedule would be atrocious.

What do you want from them? They're not doing anything the SEC doesn't do, with the exception of in state/border rivalries they're schedule is just as vanilla as the B1G.

If it weren't for TCU vs LSU, OU vs ND, and Texas vs BYU the Big 12's OOC schedule would be atrocious.

I am an avid SEC hater but they don't need the big OOC games because their conference is so inflated by the media (and the 7 straight titles). You hear "SEC meat grinder schedule" by the media but look at A&M's schedule and Alabalama's schedules this year - they are jokes. They each have two ranked teams on them. Last year Alabama only had 2/3 games vs ranked teams, they lost one of them late in the season and still backed into the NCG. Also, the SEC does have some (not a lot) pretty good OCC games.

UGa vs Clemson

Miss vs Texas

LSU vs TCU

Miss st vs Okie St

Scar vs Clemson

UF vs Miami

UF vs FSU

I just think the B1G needs to put some sexy names on their schedules and win those games in order to dig its reputation out of the grave. ND, Arizona State, BYU and Cal are not sexy imo and does beating ND really do anything to help the B1G's national perception?

When you schedule 10 years into the future, you don't know what schools will be like when the game is played.

Look at OSU's future OOC schedule:

2014: Navy, Kent State, Virginia Tech, and Cincinnati

2015: Northern Illinois, and Virginia Tech

2016: Bowling Green, Tulsa, Oklahoma

2017: Oklahoma, North Carolina

2018: CIncinnati, TCU, and North Carolina

2019: TCU

2020: Oregon, Boston College

2021: Oregon, Boston College

2022: Texas

2023: Texas

OSU's Past OOC Schedule

2012: Miami (Ohio), UCF, Cal, UAB

2011: Akron, Toledo, Miami (FL), Colorado

2010: Marshall, Miami (FL), Ohio, Eastern Michigan

2009: Navy, USC, Toledo

2008: Youngstown St., Ohio, USC, Troy

In the past, Michigan played games against powerhouses Alabama and Appalachian State. Wisconsin has LSU, BUY, Alabama, Washington, and Virginia Tech on their schedule. Nebraska has Miami (FL), BYU, Tennessee, Colorado, and Oklahoma on their schedule. It isn't like the top Big 10 teams aren't trying. Thankfully the playoff system should allow for more risk to be taken and schools can schedule more games like these.

When you schedule 10 years into the future, you don't know what schools will be like when the game is played.

Yeah, I think OSU has done a better job than most. I mean Wisconsin has not played a top OOC in at least a decade.

I also hate how they schedule 10 years out. Why is that necessary? Another bad year in 2013 for VT and that match up is looking less and less appealing in '14 and '15.

Yeah, I think OSU has done a better job than most. I mean Wisconsin has not played a top OOC in at least a decade.

I also hate how they schedule 10 years out. Why is that necessary? Another bad year in 2013 for VT and that match up is looking less and less appealing in '14 and '15.

I agree, a few years ago, that looked like a better matchup.

Bill King's Top 5 Games Week One: Anyone notice what conference is MIA?

1. UGa vs Clemson

2. LSU vs TCU

3. Miss St. vs Okie State

4. SCar vs UNC

5. Alabama vs VT

B1G week one "marquee" matchups:

Iowa vs Northern Illinois

Northwestern vs California

Penn St vs Syracuse

Purdue vs Cincinnati

Let's be honest with ourselves. What games would you rather watch? As soon as the B1G figures out that playing conference games at the beginning of the year is good for ratings AND rankings, the other conferences will have better week 1-4 matchups.

1. UGa vs Clemson

2. LSU vs TCU

4. SCar vs UNC

5. Alabama vs VT

Penn St vs Syracuse

Purdue vs Cincinnati

Let's be honest with ourselves. What games would you rather watch? As soon as the B1G figures out that playing conference games at the beginning of the year is good for ratings AND rankings, the other conferences will have better week 1-4 matchups.

I'm not sure I follow your logic. Does Michigan St. vs Indiana sound like must see TV?

1. UGa vs Clemson

2. LSU vs TCU

4. SCar vs UNC

5. Alabama vs VT

Penn St vs Syracuse

Purdue vs Cincinnati

I'm not sure I follow your logic. Does Michigan St. vs Indiana sound like must see TV?

No. But does Penn St vs Nebraska? Or Ohio St vs Wisconsin? Or Michigan vs Michigan St?

1. UGa vs Clemson

2. LSU vs TCU

4. SCar vs UNC

5. Alabama vs VT

Penn St vs Syracuse

Purdue vs Cincinnati

No. But does Penn St vs Nebraska? Or Ohio St vs Wisconsin? Or Michigan vs Michigan St?

Not for the first few games. I rather those games be later in the season because of conference implications. I want to see teams that are playing sound football; not teams in early season form.

1. UGa vs Clemson

2. LSU vs TCU

4. SCar vs UNC

5. Alabama vs VT

Penn St vs Syracuse

Purdue vs Cincinnati

Not for the first few games. I rather those games be later in the season because of conference implications. I want to see teams that are playing sound football; not teams in early season form.

7 straight SEC championships would disagree with your thinking.

7 straight SEC championships would disagree with your thinking.

So you are making the assumption there is a strong correlation between early conference games and national championships?