Mandel's Big Ten predictions

ADS

We beat NW at home by two TDs. My prediction. Not overly worried about them.
I'm watching the 2012 game again on DVR the last couple of days. If we don't give them the ball on our side of the field twice in the first quarter due to our own utter stupidity, we win that game in a cakewalk. If we had only figured out how to cover that stupid crossing route in 2011 we win that game, too (and if Rex doesn't fumble at the five yard line). Northwestern is supposed to be better this year than recent years. I say great - they're going to need it. If our defense is even only as good as the last two years, and if our offense doesn't utterly crap the bed again, I think your prediction of a two-score win is pretty accurate.

I feel like if Northwestern had fumbled it would have been a great play by the guy who caused it, but because Nebraska fumbled its because they gave it to them? Heck if Nebraska didn't let Wisconsin rush for 500,000 yards Nebraska would have won that game. I don't mean to come off harsh, but c'mon.

Okay. Here's the thing about the perception that we shut down Colter when he was given the ball-and Denard Robinson for that matter while he was playing-is that we held these guys in check for not much more than what we held Braxton Miller completely in check. With those 2, you have to believe that there was still that real possibility that had Robinson played the whole game, and Colter been fed the ball as he shouldve, that they couldve opened the floodgates with one broken run. That's been our tendancy right. So as much as I've said the same about the defense playing well on those days, we really will never know. Then Wisconsin II happened, and it really makes you wonder.

Colter gashed us out of the gate in 2011. He did not in 2012, and only had a few less touches and 1/4 the yardage.

Exactly. They took their best player and put him in a terrible spot.

You can make the claim that they thought Siemian gave them the better chance to win if you want. It goes against everything that has and has not worked against our defense, particularly the last two years. But to claim that they put in Semien because Kolter did nothing against us is patently false. Siemian was in on their third play from scrimmage. He played extensively in the first quarter. Kolter was not given any opportunity to do anything against us. They game-planned their best player out of the game. They had made that choice going in. And expect for mostly what our offense/special teams handed to them, it didn't work out very well.

What are you talking about putting him in a terrible spot? His touches in 2011 were split between WR and QB.... just like in 2012.

Except, in 2012, he had nowhere to go because we had game-planned to stop him. Colter is a run first QB 75% of the time, and we gave hime nowhere to run or throw, and smothered him when he was at WR. He only ran the ball 3 less times, and had almost half the yards (and no touchdowns). Outside of one busted assignment (the 80 yard run by Venric Mark) Northwestern average like 2.1 YPC.

They had to throw. Siemian played because he was a true threat to throw. They had been splitting snaps since the Syracuse game (when Kain benched himself in the 2nd half because he couldn't make the throws to win the game).

Fitz is supposedly the best coach in the league, but he makes such a stupid mistake? No. We shut down Colter. Anything else is pure conjecture.

If you take out the 80 yard run, they averaged 2.7 yards per rush. If you take out the longest pass play, Siemian averaged 2.6 yards per pass. How many plays are we going to ignore?

Did the Huskers have more trouble stopping the run or the pass last year?

Who was more successful, Kolter or Siemian?

I'm watching the 2012 game again on DVR the last couple of days. If we don't give them the ball on our side of the field twice in the first quarter due to our own utter stupidity, we win that game in a cakewalk. If we had only figured out how to cover that stupid crossing route in 2011 we win that game, too (and if Rex doesn't fumble at the five yard line). Northwestern is supposed to be better this year than recent years. I say great - they're going to need it. If our defense is even only as good as the last two years, and if our offense doesn't utterly crap the bed again, I think your prediction of a two-score win is pretty accurate.

I feel like if Northwestern had fumbled it would have been a great play by the guy who caused it, but because Nebraska fumbled its because they gave it to them? Heck if Nebraska didn't let Wisconsin rush for 500,000 yards Nebraska would have won that game. I don't mean to come off harsh, but c'mon.

I have no idea what you're saying. Look at those two fumbles I'm talking about. We flat-out dropped the ball, both times. It's not like Northwestern did anything to create them - neither Ameer nor Bell were touched by a Northwestern player when they made those fumbles.

I have made zero mention about Northwestern's turnovers so I can't answer the straw man in your second paragraph. It seems like you're providing a rebuttal to something I didn't say or even imply.

Michigan = questionable front 7 on D, average skill position players (including a QB who had 2 good games against bad defenses and 2 decent/average other games), and replacing 3 starters on the Oline (and top 2 TEs).

We might lose at Michigan but they will falter somewhere else.

This is what I don't understand. I've heard this analysis from several places, including boards and journalists. This description of mediocre talent doesn't jive with a team that had 6th & 7th ranked recruiting classes the last two years, and top-20 two of three years before that.

I'm not one to buy into recruiting hype, but how does a team recruit that well have an empty cupboard?

mack-brown.jpg

Its Easy.

• Fire 4

Okay. Here's the thing about the perception that we shut down Colter when he was given the ball-and Denard Robinson for that matter while he was playing-is that we held these guys in check for not much more than what we held Braxton Miller completely in check. With those 2, you have to believe that there was still that real possibility that had Robinson played the whole game, and Colter been fed the ball as he shouldve, that they couldve opened the floodgates with one broken run. That's been our tendancy right. So as much as I've said the same about the defense playing well on those days, we really will never know. Then Wisconsin II happened, and it really makes you wonder.

Colter gashed us out of the gate in 2011. He did not in 2012, and only had a few less touches and 1/4 the yardage.

Colter didnt play the whole game in 2011 as qb. He was inserted as qb when their other star (I forget his name) was injured again. But regardless, yes, he did have just a few less touches, but he still was not used to the fullest extent as he shouldve been. I know what youre saying, because I feel that way in part too, but just looking at the fact is that we just really dont know what wouldve happened had Colter been used at the qb position exclusively the whole game as he shouldve. Or if Robinson would not have gotten hurt. We dont know becuase that little experience in Columbus and that disaster in Indianapolis suggests it could've fell apart at any second. I think HuskerNation was shocked and thankful at the same time that Fitz called the type of game he did in Evanston last year.

Colter didnt play the whole game in 2011 as qb. He was inserted as qb when their other star (I forget his name) was injured again. But regardless, yes, he did have just a few less touches, but he still was not used to the fullest extent as he shouldve been. I know what youre saying, because I feel that way in part too, but just looking at the fact is that we just really dont know what wouldve happened had Colter been used at the qb position exclusively the whole game as he shouldve. Or if Robinson would not have gotten hurt. We dont know becuase that little experience in Columbus and that disaster in Indianapolis suggests it could've fell apart at any second. I think HuskerNation was shocked and thankful at the same time that Fitz called the type of game he did in Evanston last year.

Dan Persa

Dan Persa

Thank You. Persa had been battling an injury(s) most of that preseason and into the season. If I recall, he was actually finally healthy going into the Nebraska game. I think he got hurt in the 2nd quarter? That's when the Colter bomb was dropped.

Dan Persa

Thank You. Persa had been battling an injury(s) most of that preseason and into the season. If I recall, he was actually finally healthy going into the Nebraska game. I think he got hurt in the 2nd quarter? That's when the Colter bomb was dropped.

Kolter was still in the game in the 1st half (and even took snaps at QB). He then played QB exclusively in the 2nd half. Look at the play by play, he was making an impact in 2011, and not in 2012.

It's possible he would have made a difference if he had played QB exclusively, but going by his production in the snaps he did take, it's not plausible. What is plausible, is that without terrible and unforced turnovers, we win both games by 2 touchdowns.

I have no idea what you're saying. Look at those two fumbles I'm talking about. We flat-out dropped the ball, both times. It's not like Northwestern did anything to create them - neither Ameer nor Bell were touched by a Northwestern player when they made those fumbles.

I have made zero mention about Northwestern's turnovers so I can't answer the straw man in your second paragraph. It seems like you're providing a rebuttal to something I didn't say or even imply.

I guess I was using you as the example of when say Nebraska has a turnover, its Nebraska's fault, rather than a great play by the defense. When the opponent has a turnover, its a great play by the Nebraska defense. I don't mean to be confusing, it sounded good last night at midnight. :)

RE: Michigan

The reason it seems to some that 'the cupboard is bare' is because the talent is all very young. There will be a lot of questions answered about this team in the first two weeks, and it could be very bad but could also be very good.

Also think many people, including the media at large, are overselling this 'pro-style' offense thing. They're going to run a lot more under center, but look for a lot of shotgun, read-option and hopefully some pistol in there as well. It'd be stupid to not take advantage of Gardner's athleticism at least somewhat, but at the same time, he goes down and we're looking at a true frosh behind him and our season goes down the toilet.

The reason it seems to some that 'the cupboard is bare' is because the talent is all very young. There will be a lot of questions answered about this team in the first two weeks, and it could be very bad but could also be very good.

Also think many people, including the media at large, are overselling this 'pro-style' offense thing. They're going to run a lot more under center, but look for a lot of shotgun, read-option and hopefully some pistol in there as well. It'd be stupid to not take advantage of Gardner's athleticism at least somewhat, but at the same time, he goes down and we're looking at a true frosh behind him and our season goes down the toilet.

Don't worry, you've got Russ Bellomy. ;)

Every team Michigan plays would be happy with that.

Bellomy is out for the season.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/21989233/michigan-qb-russell-bellomy-has-a-torn-acl