Mandel's Big Ten predictions

ADS

I guess when I look at recruiting, I don't really see a whole lot of difference between being ranked from 5-25. Any team that is getting that kind of ranking is getting pretty good football players. After that it is about what the coaches do with them. So, I guess, IMO NU and MU are pretty even in the recruiting dept.

I mean really is their that much difference between being ranked 7 or 17?

You're asking the wrong guy because I pay zero attention to recruiting. But in an attempt to answer that question, here are the points differences between #7 and #17 on Rivals' rankings the past four years:

2013 - 2,496 / 1,921

2012 - 2,132 / 1,595

2011 - 2,194 / 1,646

2010 - 2,213 / 1,572

So someone thinks there's a pretty big difference between the two classes. Maybe one of our recruiting gurus here could give a better explanation.

I'm not seeing this Northwestern team that people are afraid of. If we show up focused and don't turn the ball over we win it comfortably.

And there it is. That's what I'm gettin at. I'm more scared of us-rightfully so-than I am of Northwestern. Because Northwester is just good enough to take advantage of that kind of stuff, as they almost were a year ago, and certainly were 2 years ago.

I'm not seeing this Northwestern team that people are afraid of. If we show up focused and don't turn the ball over we win it comfortably.

I'm more scared of us

And this why were scared of Northwestern. They don't seem to be error prone and can take advantage of our mistakes. Their is a lot to be fixed in us to be confident in beating them.

Things with the recruiting boards have gotten much better the last 5 years I think. For more accurate. But rankings also take into number of athletes taken, IE one team takes 17 and the other takes 25. Normally the higher the number of athletes the higher the average it seems. So it does not take into a small class being very good and larger being average. Make sense?

I do not see Michigan being down on talent, if they are, then we have to be to. Michigan State is getting the love because of their defense, and as most say, defense wins championships. Northwestern is a very good team, TEAM and they have, I think the best coach in our league. Better than Urban, for what he gets out of his kids. So they will be tough. I think Indiana is going to open some eyes this year to, no problem for us.

UCLA is the make or break part of the season. It is a game that this young defense has to play well in, or at least considerably better than last years squad. We win that game, and the confidence it will bring, makes the youth much much better. But it could have just as unrewarding affects with a loss. This is a very big game for Nebraska this year. For the program, maybe the most important in Bo's career. A resounding beating of UCLA, will get us a lot of attention instantly, and will help in recruiting I think.

I am not buying into the hype of the BTN. It is a publicity machine for the conference. I am beginning to buy into what EZE and Da Skers and Oregon Husker are saying. We have an offense that should be able to play with anyone if they hold onto the ball, they proved that to me against Georgia. But young kids make mistakes, but make no mistake, I am all for the young kids getting in there and doing what they can. The younger the better as they develop quicker and make us more dangerous in years to come.

• Fire 1

Not in my wheelhouse, but can anyone figure a way to look at the predictions for all of Pelini's teams at the start of the year, and where they actually finished ? It would be nice to see a side-by-side comparison of SI, ESPN, etc. It does seem absurd that the SI guys are like night and day on their predictions.

I never get too concerned about pre-season predictions because there are too many intangibles throughout the year one can not predict, or even anticipate. Let the season play out. I'll get riled in November when the Huskers are 8-0 or 7-1 and stil not in the big picture discussion. Let's see how they get there first.

I'm firmly on the Michigan is way overrated bandwagon. First off, new offensive system, lost their two top TE's, starting LG and RG, Center, Safety, Corner, LB, DT, DE and the top LB Jake Ryan is coming off an ACL injury and won't be back til mid October. It is possible that they could have some addition by subtraction going on, but I think they are bound to be a little sluggish offensively due to the new system.

I guess when I look at recruiting, I don't really see a whole lot of difference between being ranked from 5-25. Any team that is getting that kind of ranking is getting pretty good football players. After that it is about what the coaches do with them. So, I guess, IMO NU and MU are pretty even in the recruiting dept.

I mean really is their that much difference between being ranked 7 or 17?

You're asking the wrong guy because I pay zero attention to recruiting. But in an attempt to answer that question, here are the points differences between #7 and #17 on Rivals' rankings the past four years:

2013 - 2,496 / 1,921

2012 - 2,132 / 1,595

2011 - 2,194 / 1,646

2010 - 2,213 / 1,572

So someone thinks there's a pretty big difference between the two classes. Maybe one of our recruiting gurus here could give a better explanation.

not much of a difference at all. plus hoke sucks as a coach, imo.

Why do you say that, he has won every where he has been. And taken programs that really did not have the history or tradition of winning. He has done pretty good in his first two years at Michigan, along the lines of what Bo accomplished here is first two years. Michigan was considered as big of train wreck after Rich Rod left as Clownahan here. But both coaches inherited talent

Michigan = questionable front 7 on D, average skill position players (including a QB who had 2 good games against bad defenses and 2 decent/average other games), and replacing 3 starters on the Oline (and top 2 TEs).

We might lose at Michigan but they will falter somewhere else.

This is what I don't understand. I've heard this analysis from several places, including boards and journalists. This description of mediocre talent doesn't jive with a team that had 6th & 7th ranked recruiting classes the last two years, and top-20 two of three years before that.

I'm not one to buy into recruiting hype, but how does a team recruit that well have an empty cupboard?

You watched Michigan play last year, right? Gallon was the only skill player worth a crap. Replacing 3 oline starters (and 2 TEs) with freshmen (last 2 years classes for my point) doesn't spell success. Same thing on the dline.

They will be scary in another year or 2 when the talent develops.

I'm more scared of us

And this why were scared of Northwestern. They don't seem to be error prone and can take advantage of our mistakes. Their is a lot to be fixed in us to be confident in beating them.

1398856894_1364900257.jpg

Why do you say that, he has won every where he has been. And taken programs that really did not have the history or tradition of winning. He has done pretty good in his first two years at Michigan, along the lines of what Bo accomplished here is first two years. Michigan was considered as big of train wreck after Rich Rod left as Clownahan here. But both coaches inherited talent

I completely disagree. hoke had better players when he took over. he will fail with these lofty expectations, youll see it happen. he is average, better than rich was but still average.

Michigan = questionable front 7 on D, average skill position players (including a QB who had 2 good games against bad defenses and 2 decent/average other games), and replacing 3 starters on the Oline (and top 2 TEs).

We might lose at Michigan but they will falter somewhere else.

This is what I don't understand. I've heard this analysis from several places, including boards and journalists. This description of mediocre talent doesn't jive with a team that had 6th & 7th ranked recruiting classes the last two years, and top-20 two of three years before that.

I'm not one to buy into recruiting hype, but how does a team recruit that well have an empty cupboard?

You watched Michigan play last year, right? Gallon was the only skill player worth a crap. Replacing 3 oline starters (and 2 TEs) with freshmen (last 2 years classes for my point) doesn't spell success. Same thing on the dline.

They will be scary in another year or 2 when the talent develops.

Yeah, I watched them. They were OK. I think Gardner is going to be lightning in a bottle for them, though - although for the life of me I can't figure out why Hoke wants to put Gardner in a pro-style passing offense.

Can't say his predictions are way off base. I don't necessarily agree with them but they're not unreasonable given our track record the last few years.

The unknown, and most important, piece of the puzzle at this point is, will we stop beating ourselves and play to our potential. All I know is that if we play decent ball, improve at all on D, and eliminate turnovers and stupid penalties, we could easily be going into the CCG undefeated with a real chance of winning that one too. Unfortunately, that is a really big IF and these seemingly simple things are things we have not yet proven to be capable of. Hope springs eternal.