Taylor's Potential - We Need Fourth-Quarter Taylor in the First Quarter, Every Game

knapplc

I think the "fourth quarter" Taylor is just the good side of the "we're losing" Taylor. When we get down, Taylor knows that he has to take control and make sh*t happen! He'll start taking bigger risks like throwing passes into tight coverage trying to make a play rather than throwing it away. Or trying to sell the zone read better. He'll either throw an interception or fumble the exchange or he'll throw an amazing pass or break a big run.

Take the CCG for example when we were down by 14 in the first. He ran back 20 yards just to take matters into his own hands and take it to the house. He could have easily been sacked at the 5 yard line.

I think he just gets in a mode that he knows that plays need to be made when we're down and he starts taking chances. Those chances are either going to result in plays and boost his and the team's confidence, and result in more big plays. Or a turnover which makes Taylor want to take bigger risks to score on every play. The bigger risk usually resulting in more and more turnovers.

Even bo has said that when Taylor was young he had an attitude like he wanted to score on every play. When he was a freshman we saw a lot of break out runs and he got thrown into heisman talks. He also had a lot of fumbles and bad decisions but as time has gone on we've started seeing more of his "fourth quarter" Taylor come out.

Hopefully he just comes out this season, goes balls to the wall, and just destroys everyone.

I really liked the QB sweeps we ran in that game. Was kind of disappointed we didn't seem more of it throughout the rest of the season.

That's an interesting play. It tries to capitalize on fast-pursuing defenses, but in order to work it relies on strong backside blocking. If we're talking about the same play, it's the one where Taylor's in the shotgun (or pistol - can't remember) with a running back to either side. He gets the snap, takes his first step to the right while both RBs break left, then Taylor turns and follows them as lead blockers.

With Imani and a strong blocking TE on the play side that could be a big gainer for us. The one time I specifically recall that play in the NW game we got five or six yards.

Yep that's the one. I think Taylor also made a nice throw on the run off of it - for a 1st down.

Now that you mention it, I remember that, too. For a guy who's not a natural QB he's made impressive strides in his skill set. I don't buy in to Bo's statement that Taylor could be an NFL QB, but for college he's just fine.

I really love that naked boot run pass option against MSU that Taylor took to the house. Entire MSU D going the other way and remaining defenders trying to watch Taylor and the WRs.

I really liked the QB sweeps we ran in that game. Was kind of disappointed we didn't seem more of it throughout the rest of the season.

That's an interesting play. It tries to capitalize on fast-pursuing defenses, but in order to work it relies on strong backside blocking. If we're talking about the same play, it's the one where Taylor's in the shotgun (or pistol - can't remember) with a running back to either side. He gets the snap, takes his first step to the right while both RBs break left, then Taylor turns and follows them as lead blockers.

With Imani and a strong blocking TE on the play side that could be a big gainer for us. The one time I specifically recall that play in the NW game we got five or six yards.

Yep that's the one. I think Taylor also made a nice throw on the run off of it - for a 1st down.

Now that you mention it, I remember that, too. For a guy who's not a natural QB he's made impressive strides in his skill set. I don't buy in to Bo's statement that Taylor could be an NFL QB, but for college he's just fine.

I really love that naked boot run pass option against MSU that Taylor took to the house. Entire MSU D going the other way and remaining defenders trying to watch Taylor and the WRs.

That was a thing of beauty! Beck set it up perfectly by using the run complement several times through out the game and once before on that drive. It's a pretty high risk play if you think about it. With no backside blocking if one defender figures it out then Taylor is going to get smoked as soon as he turns.

I had to plus one that OP. Just brilliant. I'm really so back and forth on this season's expectations. My skepticism comes out once in a while, but then when I slow it down and look at all the possibilities, it really is hard to deny the possibility of greatness this year.

I fully believe Taylor puts Nebraska back on the national radar this year. When the guy is on, scary is the right way to describe it. He is that good. If we eliminate just some of those mistakes that have plagued us, combined with this schedule, well it 's really all there for us to take this year. We just have to take it. I know I've said this all before, but I'm still trying to allow myself to just say to hell with it and take a big swig of the kool aid.

One thing that will also help is Beck in year 3 of play calling, possibly the best OL of Pelini's tenure, loaded WR's and two experienced backs. I have seen improvement in each year for Taylor. First the decision making and game management, then running tougher, this year I expect better ball control and even better decision making.

Couple this with leaders in Enunwa, JT, AA etc I expect the ball to be spread around a lot more. I also expect Beck to be more observant of this and constantly remind Martinez to check down and calm down. Imani or AA in the flats as a safety valve would eat the D up. I also expect Beck to use more play action and misdirection to really punish D's for coming after Martinez with their ears pinned back. The schedule, experience and depth really is shaping up to make this a great year.

Add a D that HAS to be an upgrade from last year. This alone should help Martinez be calmer. I like the idea of keeping the "us against the world" mentality.

+1 to Knapp on the initial OP. Good stuff.

I really feel this will be Bo's and NU's break through year.

That was a thing of beauty! Beck set it up perfectly by using the run complement several times through out the game and once before on that drive. It's a pretty high risk play if you think about it. With no backside blocking if one defender figures it out then Taylor is going to get smoked as soon as he turns.

Beck set it up perfectly with the previous play. They ran iso toss to pick up a 4th and 1, then came right back with that boot off the action. Oh was it every pretty.

Beck set it up perfectly with the previous play. They ran iso toss to pick up a 4th and 1, then came right back with that boot off the action. Oh was it every pretty.

I thought it he ran the toss right before, couldn't remember off the top of my head though. Sometimes having the habit of running the same play back, to back, to back pays off.

I thought it he ran the toss right before, couldn't remember off the top of my head though. Sometimes having the habit of running the same play back, to back, to back pays off.

he did. But it was the same type of play. A toss right, and then fake a toss left. And then the next week we just ran toss over and over and frickin over.

he did. But it was the same type of play. A toss right, and then fake a toss left. And then the next week we just ran toss over and over and frickin over.

and over, and over, and over...