Must read NYT article on the power and influence of ESPN

Cameo

Didn't finish reading the article but I think I agree with the general premise.

If anyone is going to have a contract with them, I wish the NCAA would have entered into a contract with then to televise and promote Div 1 football in general. However, I think the NCAA is so pathetic I'm not sure they wouldn't have screwed that up.

When you have one network that is viewed as the place to go on Saturdays to see college football has contracts with certain schools or conferences, it is a really bad situation.

As Texas A&M awaited a decision, it found itself in furious competition for a small piece of the show’s reflected glory. ESPN announced a contest to determine which university would get to host the filming of a “GameDay” commercial. The balloting, on Facebook and other social media sites, was shut down almost immediately because of the sheer volume of votes and suspicions that hackers were skewing the results. When ESPN reopened the voting, with better security, Texas A&M, with a quarter-million votes, edged Nebraska.

Or to put it another way, after Nebraska won the on-line poll the crooked asshats at ESPN threw out just enough votes to give the Gameday commercial to the crooked asshats at aTm.

As Texas A&M awaited a decision, it found itself in furious competition for a small piece of the show’s reflected glory. ESPN announced a contest to determine which university would get to host the filming of a “GameDay” commercial. The balloting, on Facebook and other social media sites, was shut down almost immediately because of the sheer volume of votes and suspicions that hackers were skewing the results. When ESPN reopened the voting, with better security, Texas A&M, with a quarter-million votes, edged Nebraska.

Or to put it another way, after Nebraska won the on-line poll the crooked asshats at ESPN threw out just enough votes to give the Gameday commercial to the crooked asshats at aTm.

I remember this. TAMU had a few guys that were voting over 50,000 times a day a piece.

ESPN is unwatchable unless they are actually showing games.

PTI is watchable, but i CANNOT stand sportscenter or any of their "analysts or discussion" shows. I want to be entertained by the product on the field, not some blathering idiot yelling "boo-ya" who probably never played beyond 8th grade.