Know the Foe: Brett Smith

Smith does appear to be a quite good QB. But his team... obviously... cannot compete with NU on any level. So... give props where props are due --- Smith is a pretty good (at the very least) and perhaps a quite good college QB on a team that will be over matched in most (if not every) area on Saturday. He likely will have some modest measure of success against NU on Saturday... but in the end... NU wins big. Likely very big.

Smith does appear to be a quite good QB. But his team... obviously... cannot compete with NU on any level. So... give props where props are due --- Smith is a pretty good (at the very least) and perhaps a quite good college QB on a team that will be over matched in most (if not every) area on Saturday. He likely will have some modest measure of success against NU on Saturday... but in the end... NU wins big. Likely very big.

I haven't wanted to put a quarterback in the Graveyard so bad since Blaine Gabbert.

I haven't wanted to put a quarterback in the Graveyard so bad since Blaine Gabbert.

Why is that? Has this young man Smith made comments or something that inclines you against him? Or is it simply because you want the NU D to play great. I guess I am asking whether there is some reason to personally not like the Wyoming QB?

Brett Smith threw

5 TD's against Idaho who gave up an average of 42.4ppg - 122nd in the nation

3 TD's against Nevada who gave up an average of 33.8ppg - 102nd in the nation

3 TD's against UNLV who gave up an average of 32.6ppg - 97th in the nation

4 TD's against Colorado State who gave up an average of 30.3ppg - 81st in the nation *

4 TD's against New Mexico who gave up an average of 30.2ppg - 80th in the nation

2 TD's against Texas who gave up an average of 29.2ppg - 74th in the nation

2 TD's against Toledo who gave up an average of 28.4ppg - 67th in the nation *

2 TD's against San Diego State who gave up an average of 24.4ppg - 42nd in the nation *

The * are games in which Wyoming as a team outscored the opponent's average ppg total.

Outside of Boise (against whom he threw zero TD's) the BEST scoring Defense Brett Smith faced all of last season was Fresno State who gave up an average of 23.8ppg and ranked 37th in the nation...

Smith threw 2 TD's in a Pick and had a 47.7 completion percentage against that Fresno State Defense.

Wyoming only played ONE game the entire season against a team that finished with a top 30 scoring Defense.. Boise.

They scored 14 points in that game, half of which were scored in the 4th quarter when the score was 38-7. Brett Smith threw Zero TD's in that game.

Brett Smith is NOT a great QB. He's barely even a very good QB and the Wyoming offense is above average at best.

• Fire 4

gabbert went to somewhere far worse than the graveyard, he went to jacksonville.

• Fire 3

gabbert went to somewhere far worse than the graveyard, he went to jacksonville.

Thought for sure you were going to say Missouri.

• Fire 1

Why is that? Has this young man Smith made comments or something that inclines you against him? Or is it simply because you want the NU D to play great. I guess I am asking whether there is some reason to personally not like the Wyoming QB?

Because of Wyoming fan's opinion on his untouchable greatness and confidence that he'll torch our secondary.

Because of Wyoming fan's opinion on his untouchable greatness and confidence that he'll torch our secondary.

ahh. I see. But for Smith's part... he is a quality player (probably not to the degree that some Wyoming fans think... but he has been good) and he has not mouthed off or anything. So... no ill feelings toward him.

We as NU fans likely overstate at times the abilities of our players (and our team as well). That is what fans often do. Actually, I am glad some of the Wyoming fans are excited about their team. That said...

I hope the NU D shuts them down to be sure. And I fully expect a big NU win.

Thought for sure you were going to say Missouri.

probably should have. but he was born in missouri, molded by it. by the time he got to jacksonville, success was nothing but blinding.

I completely agree. The hype on this kid from their fans is insane. Including this gem:

"We will be able to move the ball because our receiving core is one the best (and most underrated) in the country and you have 3 Herrons? What a waste to have such good receivers and a running back that throws. The main reason we will MOVE THE BALL ALL OVER YOUR D is we have a true dual threat QB. Unlike Fraudtinez, Brett Smith is an elite college passer who is able to improvise/scramble with the best of them."

So your upset because Wyoming fans on Wyoming sites are bragging on the Wyoming quarterback.

Also how does a quarterback get in the Graveyard, is it through opinion or is there some sort of stats that need to be met?

So your upset because Wyoming fans on Wyoming sites are bragging on the Wyoming quarterback.

Also how does a quarterback get in the Graveyard, is it through opinion or is there some sort of stats that need to be met?

Nothing personal - I just always want quarterbacks to make it in there, and the more great their fans think they are, the more my desire grows :P

Also, here's the thread. It's not exactly scientific (read through the hilarious bickering if you're bored), but it's mine:

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/55555-bo-pelinis-quarterback-graveyard-2013-edition/

My own personal criteria for making the list breaks down like this

1. If they played like crap, and are or are likely to become NFL QBs, or very highly regarded college QBs.

2. Held to a completion percentage in the 40's or low 50's, or their lowest completion percentage of the season.

3. As many interceptions as touchdowns.

This is Nebraska. Many people here (not saying Landlord is one of them) hate Martinez and can't wait until he's gone. If Smith was our QB they'd be demanding we get a Martinez-like guy in there. They're never, ever satisfied.