Taylor Martinez's Legacy

He makes big plays, but leads the country in turnovers. He piles up monster stats, but hasn't won a conference or national title.

Opinions on where he ranks in Husker lore are mixed. Is he up there with Frazier and Gill as one of the all-time greats? Is he more comparable to guys like Gdowski and Taylor? How would you rate his career? And how much of that still depends on what he does this season?

He's a good QB, not a great QB going into this season. His off season development and the leadership and production he has this year can easily change that. If he manages to lead NU to a B1G Championship and a BCS/MNC win, then his legacy as a "great" will probably be assured.

spot on. Gotta get that win of substance. Until then, he'll just be another Zac Taylor or Joe Ganz.

i should add that this is not how i'll view him, but it will be the general perception, and it won't exactly be unwarranted.

He's a good QB, not a great QB going into this season. His off season development and the leadership and production he has this year can easily change that. If he manages to lead NU to a B1G Championship and a BCS/MNC win, then his legacy as a "great" will probably be assured.

spot on. Gotta get that win of substance. Until then, he'll just be another Zac Taylor or Joe Ganz.

i should add that this is not how i'll view him, but it will be the general perception, and it won't exactly be unwarranted.

I liked Zac Taylor and Joe Ganz. But, even if he doesn't win a championship, he will go down in history as more of a QB than they were. Now, some of that might be because of playing for 4 years. But, still....

• Fire 1

tumblr_inline_mqhzcuEfiL1qz4rgp.gif

I think we will look back on TMart with admiration and appreciation. He has been, and I assume will continue to be, a hard-working, dedicated player who has given his all.

As for comparison to guys like Gill and Frazier and Crouch and Frost --- well... those guys were on better coached teams with better OL and better defenses. They all had wins and glory that Taylor never had (or will likely have). Can that be held against Taylor? Probably not.

That said, I'd think Taylor will go down as being the next level below the top. Is he alongside Ganz and Zac Taylor? Those guys were really, really good... tough, gritty guys who, for their part, got it done and are worthy of respect. Tmart is at least their equals and I'd think slots above them and yet below the legends.

All said... TMart has been and continues to be excellent --- turnovers and mental errors aside... he still is gritty, never gives up, has skills, and has made his team much, much better than it would have been had they had an average or even above average QB. NU would have really been quite worse these past few years were it not for TMart. He has warranted our respect --- at a level shy of the greatest NU QB's but not that far off.

• Fire 1

Statistically he's one of the great Husker quarterbacks, but he doesn't have that signature victory that really highlights a career. I think a conference title is what he needs to really cement that legacy. Otherwise, I think a lot of people will see him as a statistically significant quarterback that couldn't win the big one.

Unfortunately, I've always felt Martinez had what it took to win us big games, but he hasn't been surrounded by the best pieces.

He makes big plays, but leads the country in turnovers. He piles up monster stats, but hasn't won a conference or national title.

Opinions on where he ranks in Husker lore are mixed. Is he up there with Frazier and Gill as one of the all-time greats? Is he more comparable to guys like Gdowski and Taylor? How would you rate his career? And how much of that still depends on what he does this season?

Perhaps somewhere in between is the best answer. Your first sentence summed it up.

I don't think I'd put him above the likes of Tagge, Gill, Frazier, Berringer, Steve Taylor (I'm sure I'm leaving some out) regardless of how this season turns out. If he improves on the turnovers this year and he leads the team to a national championship, I might put him right there with Frost. I'd actually put him on par with Crouch. Both were elite runners, but questionable passers.

tumblr_inline_mqhzcuEfiL1qz4rgp.gif

You dont get it?

It's pretty simple really. Great numbers. Respectable w/l record. Great leaders who worked hard and frankly carried their teams. But honestly, what did they ever do or accomplish-individually or as a team-that was of any significance? These descriptions over those two to a tee. Unfortunately, with out a conference championship at the very least, Taylor will be viewed by most as nothing more than these 2. Obvoiously a conference championship (a first since he was 7-8-9 years old) would easily put Taylor over the top.

I know it's not all on Taylor that it's that way. Hell, one of the greatest runs in college football history will be completely forgotten because that man who did it's team lost by 40 points.

enhance89... your last sentence --- unfortunately, Ive always felt Martinez had what it took to win us big games, but he hasn't been surrounded by the best pieces --- is absolutely critical for people to realize re: judging TMart...

He has not had the coaching or the players around him to expect his teams to have had great success. So... holding TMart accountable for the lack of team "signature wins" and a lack of championships is a bit unfair. As you said... the pieces were not around him (as they were around Gill, Frazier and Frost) --- not even remotely so.

The past 10 or so years has been the lowest years in NU's past 40 or so years... TMart was here during the down time... yet he, for his part, did very well.

• Fire 1

My personal opinion (and I know I'm in the minority) is that if Taylor Martinez was on any of the great Osborne teams, this wouldn't be a discussion. Too often he gets into a position where he has to carry the team, and I think that's where we see a lot of his turnovers and mistakes come from.

But ultimately quarterbacks are remembered for the overall success of their team, and because Martinez has not ever had the kind of supporting cast that Gill, Frazier, or Crouch had, his legacy will be as an all or nothing quarterback who piled up big stats but never won anything of significance. Unless of course Nebraska does something of significance this year.

I say reverse the situation. If Crouch, Frost or Frazier played with what Martinez has had to deal with, where would they rank. Do you feel they were the part that made their teams the winners they were. My guess if any or all played with the surround pieces that Taylor has, it would be very close. That is the way you judge him. Not wins or losses, but how he played, what he gave. He is on the same level as the others in my mind.

enhance89... your last sentence --- unfortunately, Ive always felt Martinez had what it took to win us big games, but he hasn't been surrounded by the best pieces --- is absolutely critical for people to realize re: judging TMart...

He has not had the coaching or the players around him to expect his teams to have had great success. So... holding TMart accountable for the lack of team "signature wins" and a lack of championships is a bit unfair. As you said... the pieces were not around him (as they were around Gill, Frazier and Frost) --- not even remotely so.

The past 10 or so years has been the lowest years in NU's past 40 or so years... TMart was here during the down time... yet he, for his part, did very well.

Exactly!!!!