Another QB?

First off, I would like to thank Josh Freeman for leaving a gap in our commitment list. I'm about the same age and don't know how I could have made a last minute change the way he did. I mean, he would have been here in less than 3 weeks. I hope he didn't do this on a whim and that he truly thought that the move was right for him. I wish him the best of luck at K-State.

Furthermore, Do you think NEB should try and get another QB commit for this season or just wait untill next year? Basically all the high recruits have committed. The only ones I saw were Brent Shaffer, JuCo (Played for Tennessee last year as a true freshman). Also Mitch Mustain was a solid commit for Arkansas but he recently told the media he was going to "look at his options". Nice if we could get him but 99% sure that won't happen. There is talk that he is thinking about Notre Dame. If he decides to commit there, Notre Dame already has 2 highly ranked QB recruits (both elite 11, I think), Zach Frazer and Demetrius Jones, one of them might back out and go somewhere else. Thats all the options I see this year. I say they try and go for Mitch Mustain, thinking there's not a chance in hell that they'll get him. No loss if they don't get him, great reward if they do.

P.S. This is what kind of trouble they get into when they tell a QB he will be the only QB recruit.

It's too late now. Most of the top QBs have committed. Of course, that didn't stop Ron Prince...

Boy, I hate purple even more now.

I say use the scholly on a need position. We could go after another O-Lineman, another LB, another WR, or another DB.

Let's hope this lights a fire under the coaching staff.

Must be nice sneaking in through the back door and snatching another team's commits while they prepare for a bowl game. Oh well. I'll take the bowl game over Josh Freeman any day.

I dont think that we tell any more QBs this ("you are my one and only..."), the recruiting cycle is too short and too uncertain to do it anymore, and i think we should have learned our lesson now. I think this will really help our chances to land someone big time next year. I doubt that we see any other QB's in this class however, our coaches have some high standards i believe and they wont take anyone unless they really want them.... (And like i said in the freeman thread, if Prince could pull something out of his ass and get a guy that was a solid commit to a program since this summer in 10 days, our guys should be able to do the same)

Well Alex Cate was going to commit to NU for sure and Freeman knew this so he pulled the trigger and committed to us. That's why we told Cate we had our QB. Now keep in mind Cate committed to LSU (even though they landed Ryan Perrilox last year who has yet to see the field) so it says Alex was not afraid of competition. He later decommitted from LSU and went to Oklahoma St, so it's not out of the question NU could go back to recruiting him. That's 1 option

The other options you mentioned is Shaffer the JUCO who played for Tennessee. He would be nice to get, but i think the coaches stick with a HS kid. Mitch Mustain is another option we were going after and he was committed to Arkansas but is now looking around. Rumours has it that he really likes Notre Dame and could be headed to Notre Dame (if 1 of the 2 QB's decommits whichi s doubtful), but with Notre Dame already having 2 high profile QB's in the class (4 star Zach Frazer and 4 star Demetrius Jones) Mitch could be an option we look at.

Another guy NU targeted this year is a kid out of Florida by the name of Herb Bynes. Yeah i know, he's not as high profile as the other 3 i mentioned but he could come in and redshirt and be a great player. He's got the size to play QB.

If not..like i said, you have several options next year. Quite Honestly, i hope the NU coaches wait untill next year. Next year is going to be loaded with great QB prospects

I dont think that we tell any more QBs this ("you are my one and only..."), the recruiting cycle is too short and too uncertain to do it anymore, and i think we should have learned our lesson now. I think this will really help our chances to land someone big time next year. I doubt that we see any other QB's in this class however, our coaches have some high standards i believe and they wont take anyone unless they really want them.... (And like i said in the freeman thread, if Prince could pull something out of his ass and get a guy that was a solid commit to a program since this summer in 10 days, our guys should be able to do the same)

Exaclty. There's a reason why Notre Dame took 2 high profile QB's in this class. The coaches shouldn't promise kids anymore that they are the only guys they will take.

Exaclty. There's a reason why Notre Dame took 2 high profile QB's in this class. The coaches shouldn't promise kids anymore that they are the only guys they will take.

There is also a certain person that allowed them to take 2 top QB's. I'm not going to name any names but he's won a few Super Bowls and has the initials of CW.

Let's start the Clausen '07 campaigning right now. Screw Freeman. It's hard to have a lot of respect for someone who says he's 100% and then completely changes his mind. Have fun winning nothing as KSU. I wouldn't get another QB this year, instead i'd go after a WR. I believe nameless said something about Freeman maybe pulling Holt to KSU with him. I don't know what the chances are of that happening but the thought of it is terrifying.

I would like to know more about this bynes kid...I like his profile...doesn't he have a husker offer?

He's from the same school as Charles Deas that Blake has been trying to get. Here was an article on him from the Knoxnews.com website (you have to register with an email address to view the article, so i will just post it) and yes he had an offer but he wasn't on the top priority list like Freeman and Alex Cate were

Boyd Anderson duo impressive in Nike camp

By DAVE HOOKER, hookerd@knews.com

April 10, 2005

CORAL GABLES, Fla. - Tennessee is hoping for a Fort Lauderdale double shot.

Boyd Anderson High School stars Charles Deas and Herb Bynes both competed in Sunday's Nike camp held at the University of Miami. The two were among the top competitors.

Deas, a defensive tackle, already is well-known. Some think he may be one of the top 100 players in the nation. Bynes is trying to convince the doubters that he is a quarterback.

"All I want to do is play QB, no doubt about it," the slender 6-foot-4, 220 pounder said.

Despite his convictions, Bynes' college position may still be in doubt. Sure, he has received scholarship offers to play quarterback from Duke and Kansas. But he has the frame and athletic ability that makes coaches dream of a wide receiver or a tight end.

As for Deas, there is no doubt about his college position. The 6-4, 320-pound defensive tackle with an Albert Haynesworth-like body was pleased with Sunday's camp, where he mastered a once-shaky swim move thanks to the help of some area coaches.

"It was a great experience," he said. "I'm going to take home a lot of this stuff so I can work on it."

Deas said his college choices are wide open and his decision will be based as much on academics as athletics.

"Any school that I can get a college degree and finish school, that's basically it," he said of his college preference.

Deas said he has received offers from Rutgers, Duke, and Arizona State. That list will grow as his high school highlight tape continues to peruse the country.

Deas has been tough for college coaches to follow. Boyd Anderson is his third high school in two years. He said he has considered UT "a little."

Bynes also has started to consider his college options. He said he was focused on the Nike camp because he was not able to attend the preliminary Elite 11 camp in Miami on Saturday because he was taking his college entrance exams.

Bynes' focus helped him, and Deas, make Boyd Anderson High proud.

"Deas is one of those great players," Bynes said. "It's hard to find a player that's fast, strong, and big like him. When he's out on the field, it makes it easier on the defense because he can clog up the holes and the linebacker can step up and make the tackle. Deas, he's got Warren Sapp and Jevon Kearse in him."

Tough Test: This year camp organizers, Nike and Student Sports introduced a new NFL-like SPARQ digital timing system for the 40-yard dash. The system claims to produce more accurate times by eliminating the human element, a manned stopwatch.

The fastest 40 times posted Sunday were by Antwan Allen (4.31) from Miami Northwestern High School and Jarred Fayson (4.32) from Hillsborough High in Tampa. Fayson has received scholarship offers from several small schools. That will likely change. Two other ran a 4.35 or faster.

Link

He plays in Florida 6A class which is the largest class and he lead his team to the playoffs against Deerfield (champion runner up) and lost 26-20 (OT) in the first round District 9 champion. He's a guy that can be coached by Norvell and improve in a year or so. He's a 6-3, 215 pound guy with a great frame

Well Alex Cate was going to commit to NU for sure and Freeman knew this so he pulled the trigger and committed to us. That's why we told Cate we had our QB. Now keep in mind Cate committed to LSU (even though they landed Ryan Perrilox last year who has yet to see the field) so it says Alex was not afraid of competition. He later decommitted from LSU and went to Oklahoma St, so it's not out of the question NU could go back to recruiting him. That's 1 option

The other options you mentioned is Shaffer the JUCO who played for Tennessee. He would be nice to get, but i think the coaches stick with a HS kid. Mitch Mustain is another option we were going after and he was committed to Arkansas but is now looking around. Rumours has it that he really likes Notre Dame and could be headed to Notre Dame (if 1 of the 2 QB's decommits whichi s doubtful), but with Notre Dame already having 2 high profile QB's in the class (4 star Zach Frazer and 4 star Demetrius Jones) Mitch could be an option we look at.

Another guy NU targeted this year is a kid out of Florida by the name of Herb Bynes. Yeah i know, he's not as high profile as the other 3 i mentioned but he could come in and redshirt and be a great player. He's got the size to play QB.

If not..like i said, you have several options next year. Quite Honestly, i hope the NU coaches wait untill next year. Next year is going to be loaded with great QB prospects

That's what I'm talking about.

Who's with me that NU sends 5 coaches to see Cate by the end of the week.  Pull off some Tomerlin stuff man.  Visit his girlfriend man

I think they go after Mitch Mustain first before they go after Cate. With Mitch being a soft verbal and currently shopping around, he would be the easier of the 2 to steal away.

At this stage of the game, I'll take either in a heartbeat.