Post Game Wyoming Tweets

Nobody

Martin went inside the tackle in an attempt to sack Robinson and Robinson scampered around him. So what? This means you never bring the heat in these opposing QB's? That means you never send guys through gaps?

I don't understand this thinking that we are going to get the perfect defensive call every time? As much pressure as is on us to make the right call, the same pressure or more is supposed to be on them to make the right decisions.

Your not going to get it right every time but if you don't at least pressure them, at least try to get in that opposing qb's head then you will never create any mistakes. They will dink and dunk the whole way down the field. They will average six yards a play and they will eventually score. The good ones will do it all game long on your ass unless you make them force a few. Make them have to make those decisions a bit faster.

I'm not saying you do it all the time but you sure as hell do it a f#*k of a lot more than Nebraska is right now.

Don't you ever find it funny that these same teams bring seven or eight guys on Martinez almost every single snap? Doesn't that make you think? It should make you think, especially when you consider that Taylor is one of the top dual threat Qb's in the country!

So you got the point I was making. It isn't that you never ever pressure the QB, but its how you do it. Plays like that when it isn't done properly, will cost you especially against QBs like Hundley, Gardner, and a kid like Smith even.

Next, you say people bring a lot of pressure in TMart. Okay, but you do know what type of numbers he's put up right?????

Numbers. Yes some would say its remarkable the amount of fumbles and interceptions Taylor has had.

Now imagine if Taylor erased those, but then our defense even forced half those same mistakes by opposing QBs. How remarkable!

Are you telling me every single turnover from him has been because he is pressured?????

Nope.

It's the same problem we had with Eric Martin. Martin could slice through most OTs and get into the backfield on most every play, but that's not what he was allowed to do. He had to create the containment pocket with the rest of the line most of the time, and that simply doesn't play to his strength.

I want you to go watch Eric Martin specifically in the play that Dennard Robinson got hurt.

I want you to go read the quote you responded to, specifically the part I highlighted in bold, underlined, italics, red, and made bigger so it's more difficulter to miss.

One play does not disprove a trend. It is Bo's defense, and it has been since at least the VA Tech game in Blacksburg.

After you've gotten what I'm on about there, go watch Michigan's game against Western Michigan. Three down linemen against a five-man front and two seconds after the snap, the Chippewa QB has pressure in his face. Why? Because Hoke's scheme allows his D Linemen to put pressure on the QB. Bo's doesn't, lately against even immobile QBs.

Ankrah had a fine game, actually. Not sure what you're talking about TheSker - maybe you're seeing things I'm missing. I thought Ankrah got good pressure on Smith, Smith was just able to run from that pressure. He played a hell of a game.

You will find a Pelini quote that references the pressure we got on Smith.....and Pelini said we have to get the quarterback on the ground. Feel free to keep an eye on the snap count from that DE position and if I'm wrong I have no problem eating crow.

That doesn't mean Ankrah had a worse game than anyone else. Singling him out would be cool if you could show what Ankrah did wrong. He played the kind of defense Bo has played here the last three years. That's not Ankrah's fault, that's scheme.

I'm fine if you want to call it scheme.....but it's the same reason Randy Gregory fits the "scheme" better than Cameron Meredith did.

The scheme is still at fault, though. Gregory should be unleashed to attack the QB or ball-carrier the majority of plays, but only got the green light to rush on obvious passing plays. On most other plays he was playing patty-cake, too.

It's the same problem we had with Eric Martin. Martin could slice through most OTs and get into the backfield on most every play, but that's not what he was allowed to do. He had to create the containment pocket with the rest of the line most of the time, and that simply doesn't play to his strength.

High-motor guys need to be allowed to break into the backfield as often as practicable or we're not going to get high-motor guys willing to come here.

The fact the we had no sacks against Wyoming says it all.

Martin went inside the tackle in an attempt to sack Robinson and Robinson scampered around him. So what? This means you never bring the heat in these opposing QB's? That means you never send guys through gaps?

I don't understand this thinking that we are going to get the perfect defensive call every time? As much pressure as is on us to make the right call, the same pressure or more is supposed to be on them to make the right decisions.

Your not going to get it right every time but if you don't at least pressure them, at least try to get in that opposing qb's head then you will never create any mistakes. They will dink and dunk the whole way down the field. They will average six yards a play and they will eventually score. The good ones will do it all game long on your ass unless you make them force a few. Make them have to make those decisions a bit faster.

I'm not saying you do it all the time but you sure as hell do it a f#*k of a lot more than Nebraska is right now.

Don't you ever find it funny that these same teams bring seven or eight guys on Martinez almost every single snap? Doesn't that make you think? It should make you think, especially when you consider that Taylor is one of the top dual threat Qb's in the country!

I agree. Our opponents pressure TM, and he has led the nation in turnovers for 3 years in a row. Pressure causes problems.

Yes and no. We brought pressure against Smith quite a bit. He was able to side-step a lot of it. He had a brilliant game, so have to give him credit for a lot of that. Aside from Gregory's sack and Mitchell's hit on the two-point conversion try, Smith was able to elude pass rushers by a hair several times.

Had he been just a touch off, slow by less than half a step on about seven-eight plays, that would have been a very different game.

Had Mitchell not missed the tackle, and Cooper the next on back-to-back plays in the fourth quarter, Wyoming likely doesn't score that last-second TD.

Here's something else that baffled me - anyone with the game recorded, go back and check how many times we ran misdirection, or any line stunts on defense.

When people talk about Nebraska playing "vanilla" in that game, it's an understatement. There was ZERO subterfuge on our side of the ball Saturday night. Bo and Beck clearly felt we could line up and show them absolutely nothing, yet still win the game. They were right - but just barely.

We're well past the days when we can take any opponent lightly. We very clearly took Wyoming lightly. We do that too often, then appear surprised when the opponent doesn't just lay down at the feet of the Mighty Huskers.

Nearly cost us this game.

I agree. Our opponents pressure TM, and he has led the nation in turnovers for 3 years in a row. Pressure causes problems.

This. UT (IIRC) gave the nation the template to beat our O. Get in Martinez face each and every play. This was in 2010 IIRC. Year 4 and teams still do this. Three years leading the nation in fumbles is not a coincidence, to a degree, it is by design. Get after any QB, no matter how good and mistakes are made. UCLA gave the nation a template to exploit our defensive schemes.

No matter how good our DB's are, no one can cover a receiver for 5 seconds. He either gets free or the DB gets physical and gets the PI call. a lose-lose. Watching our DL, I believe that the object is not to get to the QB, but simply allow the back seven to make plays. We need to be attacking in which the front 7 make plays and the back 4 are there for the pass. VV looked like a beast (double teamed and held on every play) Moss, Gregory etc as well. Turn these kids lose and let them beat some a$$. Nothing gets the D going like flattening the QB for a 10 yrd loss or stuffing the RB in the whole. Allowing 1 or 2 OL to get to our "smallish" LB's in space is a miss match not even Bama could over come.

Yes and no. We brought pressure against Smith quite a bit. He was able to side-step a lot of it. He had a brilliant game, so have to give him credit for a lot of that. Aside from Gregory's sack and Mitchell's hit on the two-point conversion try, Smith was able to elude pass rushers by a hair several times.

Had he been just a touch off, slow by less than half a step on about seven-eight plays, that would have been a very different game.

Had Mitchell not missed the tackle, and Cooper the next on back-to-back plays in the fourth quarter, Wyoming likely doesn't score that last-second TD.

Here's something else that baffled me - anyone with the game recorded, go back and check how many times we ran misdirection, or any line stunts on defense.

When people talk about Nebraska playing "vanilla" in that game, it's an understatement. There was ZERO subterfuge on our side of the ball Saturday night. Bo and Beck clearly felt we could line up and show them absolutely nothing, yet still win the game. They were right - but just barely.

We're well past the days when we can take any opponent lightly. We very clearly took Wyoming lightly. We do that too often, then appear surprised when the opponent doesn't just lay down at the feet of the Mighty Huskers.

Nearly cost us this game.

For 2-3 years I really thought this was by design until I realized we play so vanilla because we really are vanilla in the grand scheme of things. We do not have any exotic packages or stunts.

I agree. Pelini said we are going to get the personnel in there that can get the quarterback to the ground. We were in position to do so a few times and didn't get it done.

I agree. Pelini said we are going to get the personnel in there that can get the quarterback to the ground. We were in position to do so a few times and didn't get it done.

So Pelini is using the excuse that the most athletic players are on the bench? Wasn't this the excuse last year? If we can't get a sack against Wyoming what is going to happen in BIG play? Seven or 8 replays of the CCG if something doesn't change in this passive scheme.

So Pelini is using the excuse that the most athletic players are on the bench? Wasn't this the excuse last year? If we can't get a sack against Wyoming what is going to happen in BIG play? Seven or 8 replays of the CCG if something doesn't change in this passive scheme.

Pelini is saying if the number one guy doesn't get it done, the next guy gets a shot. Can't even compare last season to this one since several frosh and newcomers are key components.....Gregory, Bando, Gerry etc. But yes, we are much more athletic on defense this year. Pelini has said Bando is in heavy competition with Santos. Gregory is an upgrade over Meredith. Gerry's athleticism showed. Pelini also said he made some redshirting mistakes last season that affected DL depth. Our DL looked better and will continue to improve. We will get sacks....they might not be by the guys who whiffed against Wyoming.

These games are when we need to empty the bench of the "better, more athletic" kids and get them experience prior to conference play. IMHO, the Fresh and younger kids played better than some of the seniors on D.