Offense says they got their wake-up call

knapplc

I want the Oregon O type of mentality. They have the pedal to the metal the WHOLE game. No matter if they are up 3 or 50. Never give the other team any hope (just look at their 66-3 game this weekend).

You couldn't have picked a team that takes the foot off the gas more than Oregon. They are well known for scoring a bunch in the first half and almost nothing in the second.

I guess I didn't know that, I will look into it.

I want the Oregon O type of mentality. They have the pedal to the metal the WHOLE game. No matter if they are up 3 or 50. Never give the other team any hope (just look at their 66-3 game this weekend).

You couldn't have picked a team that takes the foot off the gas more than Oregon. They are well known for scoring a bunch in the first half and almost nothing in the second.

I guess I didn't know that, I will look into it.

Just looked over this year and last year. Averaged 30 points in first half and 20 in the second. So it is pretty close I would say. Those numbers are deceiving too because they play their backups ALOT because of how fast and they get up on people.

Put me down as another vote for dismissing this as yet more of the same. How many wake-up calls does this team need? And how many times do we need to read the same tripe about how they now finally have gotten it?

I think the team lacks leadership, accountability, desire and motivation. Part of that is on the players for not stepping up and providing those. More of it is on the coaching staff for not building a culture that instills them. But the problem starts at the top. And it's inexplicable to me that with Osborne working just down the hall, Pelini never seems to have gone to him (that I know of) for help with regard to fixing or building that kind of team culture.

It is statements like this that I don't get. You nor I have any idea about the inner workings of the athletic department. You can speculate all you want. BP may have talked to TO everyday of the week about something or another. He may have never talked to him.

But, because you think the team lacks leadership, accountability, desire and motivation than he must never have talked to him. You yourself would say talk is cheap, so why does it matter.

TO didn't start out being this highly respected HC, in fact, many of his first players were very skeptical of his abilities as a HC after having the fiery Devaney. This is straight from one of their mouths.

Remember Tom Osborne didn't become a legendary coach until 1994. Up until then he was just a coach that couldn't win the big one.

Why do you assume I "have no idea" and and simply "speculating?" Neither of those is actually the case.

You seem to be missing the key distinction between talking and doing something. Saying you've finally gotten a wake up call is talking. Discussing issues related to team culture with your AD, who coached for about 30 years, held your current job for about 25 of those years, is one of the winningest coaches in college football history and has a Ph.D in educational psychology is doing something.

And how hard is it to watch one of our blowouts and figure out that there are serious issues with the team's culture? Isn't that pretty much self-evident at this point? And don't the quotes in the original post in this thread and the dozen of so other stories we've read over the past few years about how they finally "get it" make that apparent?

So than please elaborate on how BP never talked to TO about team culture, I would like to know.

It has been written in many articles that BP did in fact talk to TO about things from time to time. I could only speculate, but he probably talked about things other than x's and o's with TO.

So please elaborate.

Put me down as another vote for dismissing this as yet more of the same. How many wake-up calls does this team need? And how many times do we need to read the same tripe about how they now finally have gotten it?

I think the team lacks leadership, accountability, desire and motivation. Part of that is on the players for not stepping up and providing those. More of it is on the coaching staff for not building a culture that instills them. But the problem starts at the top. And it's inexplicable to me that with Osborne working just down the hall, Pelini never seems to have gone to him (that I know of) for help with regard to fixing or building that kind of team culture.

It is statements like this that I don't get. You nor I have any idea about the inner workings of the athletic department. You can speculate all you want. BP may have talked to TO everyday of the week about something or another. He may have never talked to him.

But, because you think the team lacks leadership, accountability, desire and motivation than he must never have talked to him. You yourself would say talk is cheap, so why does it matter.

TO didn't start out being this highly respected HC, in fact, many of his first players were very skeptical of his abilities as a HC after having the fiery Devaney. This is straight from one of their mouths.

Remember Tom Osborne didn't become a legendary coach until 1994. Up until then he was just a coach that couldn't win the big one.

Why do you assume I "have no idea" and and simply "speculating?" Neither of those is actually the case.

You seem to be missing the key distinction between talking and doing something. Saying you've finally gotten a wake up call is talking. Discussing issues related to team culture with your AD, who coached for about 30 years, held your current job for about 25 of those years, is one of the winningest coaches in college football history and has a Ph.D in educational psychology is doing something.

And how hard is it to watch one of our blowouts and figure out that there are serious issues with the team's culture? Isn't that pretty much self-evident at this point? And don't the quotes in the original post in this thread and the dozen of so other stories we've read over the past few years about how they finally "get it" make that apparent?

So than please elaborate on how BP never talked to TO about team culture, I would like to know.

It has been written in many articles that BP did in fact talk to TO about things from time to time. I could only speculate, but he probably talked about things other than x's and o's with TO.

So please elaborate.

How is this related to a "culture" or lack of. Everything written about this team is that they are very tight. What "culture" are you referring too? Unless you think its Bo's set of shared attitudes, values, goals, and practices that characterizes an institution or organization that are lacking. I don't agree.

So please elaborate.

How is this related to a "culture" or lack of. Everything written about this team is that they are very tight. What "culture" are you referring too? Unless you think its Bo's set of shared attitudes, values, goals, and practices that characterizes an institution or organization that are lacking. I don't agree.

+1

So please elaborate.

I know people who work in the Athletic Department. They indicated that Pelini rarely asked TO for advice and TO, wanting to avoid stepping on toes, did not offer it when it was unsolicited. The gist was that Pelini wasn't very interested in picking Osborne's brain. I think that's a missed opportunity, more even in terms of learning how to build a successful and thriving organization than in terms of X's and O's.

They describe themselves as "tight." Why do you think that is? And what do you think they really mean when they describe themselves that way?

I see a team that doesn't really believe....not in themselves, not in each other and not in the system. They can beat bad teams and compete with mediocre teams based on pure talent. But that doesn't work against top caliber competition. And we get streamrolled in those big games far more often than is normal. My theory is that the wheels come off in those games in large part due to this lack of trust. That goes beyond simply being "tight" or dealing with issues related to nerves. It goes to the heart of the culture of the organization. Pelini and his staff don't seem to be doing an effective job of building trust or developing leaders. And the results are there for all to see.

I'm with you. i wasn't jumping off any bridges after 602 last week, because we won. that' all i can ask for. this "domination" crap is silly.

domination means week in week out. 7-8-9-10 weeks in a row. not "3.5-4 quarter of pretty good ball."

I'm actually worried this week that SMiss will make a game of it. Here's why: they had 6 turnovers last week. they lost to a pathetic school. they threw for over 370, i believe. they are playing us here, so they're backs are against the wall.

we are sitting here talking about 'domination' and we have yet another opponent who is easily overlooked, leading up to a big game, trying to figure out why we don't 'finish'.

I'm not worried about last week (and our glaring problems from LAST WEEK). i'm worried about this week because we don't have a culture yet where 2 or 3 guys will say, "f#*k this, i'm getting it done; and so are you or get the f#*k outta my way." I think finally naming captains and whatnot is the first step to building that culture, but for now? just shut the hell up about dominating anyone and keep your head down and grind.

As someone else said, better the first game, to get the eyes open. But like Knapp says, if it continues several games this year, Bo is going to feel the seat get very hot.

With the youth on defense, the errors on offense, theirselves and former players calling them out, it will change soon or it is never going to. If we had to have this type of a game, it is best to have it now, so that all are aware of what is needed to be done. My guess is, that if Bo has not been as involved as we think he is in the defense, he will be the next 10 days.

Have a major training ride today, 90 miles in 100 degree temperatures is going to be fun, not. Will let you guys figure it out so I can read about it when I am done.

I think Bo will figure this out.

And to put something in the post that I do not see as often as I used to.

Go Big Red!!!!

Or worse....because the trend usually continues throughout the season and we've already started getting complacent...

I'm with Knapp...let the kids run on their emotions. That's what the college game is all about. Anyone remember Mark Reicht telling his players to storm the endzone and get a celebration penalty on their first score against Florida several years back?

I'm with you. i wasn't jumping off any bridges after 602 last week, because we won. that' all i can ask for. this "domination" crap is silly.

domination means week in week out. 7-8-9-10 weeks in a row. not "3.5-4 quarter of pretty good ball."

I'm actually worried this week that SMiss will make a game of it. Here's why: they had 6 turnovers last week. they lost to a pathetic school. they threw for over 370, i believe. they are playing us here, so they're backs are against the wall.

we are sitting here talking about 'domination' and we have yet another opponent who is easily overlooked, leading up to a big game, trying to figure out why we don't 'finish'.

I'm not worried about last week (and our glaring problems from LAST WEEK). i'm worried about this week because we don't have a culture yet where 2 or 3 guys will say, "f#*k this, i'm getting it done; and so are you or get the f#*k outta my way." I think finally naming captains and whatnot is the first step to building that culture, but for now? just shut the hell up about dominating anyone and keep your head down and grind.

Well problem is that last week we did just enough to win. That won't be good enough in big 10 play. These kids need to practice leaving it all on the field BEFORE they actually have to or they won't be ready for it.

Well problem is that last week we did just enough to win. That won't be good enough in big 10 play. These kids need to practice leaving it all on the field BEFORE they actually have to or they won't be ready for it.

right, so shut up about it, and go do it next week. then shut up about having it "figured out" (after only one week) and that they "knew they were capable of it" and go do it the next week. then the next. after they've done it 7 weeks in a row, they can say, "we are playing the type of ball we knew we were capable of, we feel like we can dominate anyone."

Dominance isn't something you figure out. It's a mindset based on hard work, humble/respectable approach to your opponent and belief in guy next to you, that you won't let him down first and foremost.

ie, on 3rd and 1 in the 1st quarter of the first offensive drive in the first game of the season, you don't f'ing jump offsides forcing yourself to punt. that's not domination and trust.

So please elaborate.

I know people who work in the Athletic Department. They indicated that Pelini rarely asked TO for advice and TO, wanting to avoid stepping on toes, did not offer it when it was unsolicited. The gist was that Pelini wasn't very interested in picking Osborne's brain. I think that's a missed opportunity, more even in terms of learning how to build a successful and thriving organization than in terms of X's and O's.

They describe themselves as "tight." Why do you think that is? And what do you think they really mean when they describe themselves that way?

I see a team that doesn't really believe....not in themselves, not in each other and not in the system. They can beat bad teams and compete with mediocre teams based on pure talent. But that doesn't work against top caliber competition. And we get streamrolled in those big games far more often than is normal. My theory is that the wheels come off in those games in large part due to this lack of trust. That goes beyond simply being "tight" or dealing with issues related to nerves. It goes to the heart of the culture of the organization. Pelini and his staff don't seem to be doing an effective job of building trust or developing leaders. And the results are there for all to see.

You would have been better off if you just stuck with your theory. Trying to allude that saying they are "tight" with each other is a cry for help in some Freudian way is really stretching it a bit.

Its just your theory.

My theory about the blowout losses is that yes ,there are too many by Nebraska lately, but I see way too many period in college football these days. Lots of good teams have been blown out in recent years.

Not just NU but Clemson vs. WVa in bowl game/ Louisville vs. Florida bowl game, Florida vs. S. Carolina regular season last year can't remember who won. KSU loses to Baylor bad last year etc. That's just 4 I thought of off the top of my head out side of Nebraska.

I think kids just have a different make up than they used to. I think, in general, they don't have as much fight in them when things really go bad. Call it lack of mental toughness or culture if you want, but it happens a lot more than it used to.

How many wake-up calls does this team need?

Well, this team has played one game. True story.

And the kids making these statements have been playing here for years....same story different season...

I am not real sure what you wanted Abdulla to say. He gets asked a question so he answered it. If he didn't answer it you would say he was dodging the question. Its not like he called a press conference to clarify something.

How many wake-up calls does this team need?

Well, this team has played one game. True story.

And the kids making these statements have been playing here for years....same story different season...

I am not real sure what you wanted Abdulla to say. He gets asked a question so he answered it. If he didn't answer it you would say he was dodging the question. Its not like he called a press conference to clarify something.

I wasn't saying he should say anything else. Just announcing to HuskerBoard that I've heard it before and the pattern continues...

So please elaborate.

You would have been better off if you just stuck with your theory. Trying to allude that saying they are "tight" with each other is a cry for help in some Freudian way is really stretching it a bit.

Its just your theory.

My theory about the blowout losses is that yes ,there are too many by Nebraska lately, but I see way too many period in college football these days. Lots of good teams have been blown out in recent years.

Not just NU but Clemson vs. WVa in bowl game/ Louisville vs. Florida bowl game, Florida vs. S. Carolina regular season last year can't remember who won. KSU loses to Baylor bad last year etc. That's just 4 I thought of off the top of my head out side of Nebraska.

I think kids just have a different make up than they used to. I think, in general, they don't have as much fight in them when things really go bad. Call it lack of mental toughness or culture if you want, but it happens a lot more than it used to.

The problem though is you posted different times this has happened to different teams. Nebraska has been having several of these each season...