Okie State pay for play?

Deadspin pulled a quote from the article:

The Most Important Part of SI's Oklahoma State Shamestravaganza

At Oklahoma State the bonus system, the booster and coach payouts, and the bogus jobs provided players with money that was seldom spent on extravagances. One or two standouts bought a new car or expensive jewelry, team members say, but the vast majority of the players used the extra cash to purchase everyday items — food, clothing, tickets to a movie. "There were some athletes who were almost starving," says Carter. "Wherever the money came from, they were like, Yeah, I'll take that."

Deadspin pulled a quote from the article:

The Most Important Part of SI's Oklahoma State Shamestravaganza

At Oklahoma State the bonus system, the booster and coach payouts, and the bogus jobs provided players with money that was seldom spent on extravagances. One or two standouts bought a new car or expensive jewelry, team members say, but the vast majority of the players used the extra cash to purchase everyday items — food, clothing, tickets to a movie. "There were some athletes who were almost starving," says Carter. "Wherever the money came from, they were like, Yeah, I'll take that."

I'm tired of this fallacy. These kids are at a huge program and are given clothes and food and housing and on and on. It is part of their considerable compemsation package.

I suppose the key to any investigation will be finding improprieties that occurred within the four-year NCAA statute of limitations. If they can, then they can possibly pursue some of the older violations, because the statute of limitations on the older stuff doesn't apply if the NCAA claims that it is tied to a systematic pattern of transgressions that continued into the past four years.

Otherwise it is just an interesting read, and that's pretty sad.

I'm not quite ready to take SI at their word. Unless they can produce some actual corroboration, this is just a he said, she said, sort of thing at this point. If this was Charles Robinson from Yahoo, I would take it more seriously, but SI has had issues in recent years, think Duke Lacrosse. And Thayer Evans is not a guy I would trust blindly. A handful of disgruntled former players with an ax to grind, and some suspect credibility. I want more evidence, and any other college football fan should too. If a few guy who have issue with a school can do damage, you will see people make up stuff to damage a school they think wronged them.

Listening to the sports reporter with the local news channel, he put a "positive" spin on the story by saying when colleges are successful and become "powerhouses" (his words), people do things to try to take them down. He referenced teams like Auburn, Alabama, etc. I thought it was funny he mentioned Oklahoma State and powerhouse in the same sentence. It's HUGE news here in Oklahoma. A wife of one of the boosters when on record saying her husband did nothing run (news even made a point to mention he was a part of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes); they interviewed a couple of former players who said they don't believe this happened and never saw it happen, blah blah blah.

What aggrevated me today was Scott Van Pelt. Instead of acknowledging that there's a huge problem in college football right now, he proceeds to constantly rant about the guys who "threw the program under the bus". That that shouldnt happen. Nevermind the fact major rules were broken under both Les Miles and Mike Gundy, he's more worried about the fact the some former player are butt hurt and playing tattle tale. ESPN. Meh. Of course we shouldnt expect less beins Les Miles name is tossed around in this. ESPN will not do anything to protect Ok St. But theyll be damned if Les gets dragged too far into this.

Jason Whitlock absolutely destroyed Thayer Evans today

I encourage all of you to go google Thayer Evans, a hack journalist, huge Sooner fan, used to write about the Sooners, and has been known to commit tons of journalistic no-nos - making up information, writing with a huge bias (anti-Texas for example)

His Heisman ballot last year did not include Johnny Manziel. 2 years ago he wrote a nationally published article telling voters not to vote for Cam Newton.

This whole article strikes me in kind of an odd way. There's nothing about Okie State's program that makes me go "OH MY GOD DESTROY THEM." This kind of stuff happens at virtually every school. Ever seen the staff and tutors available to our football guys? There are some damn attractive women on there. Boosters do shady stuff all over the place. Players get wrongfully paid all over the place. You could pick a school out of a hat, investigate it, and odds are you'd find pretty much everything they found at Oklahoma State to at least some extent. So why Oklahoma State? Why now? What prompted this?

Not a fan of this article, its authors, and don't know what the motive is here.

• Fire 1

I truly doubt that Boone Pickens has anything to do with this. More of his money goes into the academic part of the school then the athletics. He also gives alot to the Texas academics.

He did say "I want OSU to get a national title before I die", but also said "If OSU is ever caught having boosters giving money to the players, then I will never give money to the athletics department again".

Jason Whitlock absolutely destroyed Thayer Evans today

I encourage all of you to go google Thayer Evans, a hack journalist, huge Sooner fan, used to write about the Sooners, and has been known to commit tons of journalistic no-nos - making up information, writing with a huge bias (anti-Texas for example)

His Heisman ballot last year did not include Johnny Manziel. 2 years ago he wrote a nationally published article telling voters not to vote for Cam Newton.

This whole article strikes me in kind of an odd way. There's nothing about Okie State's program that makes me go "OH MY GOD DESTROY THEM." This kind of stuff happens at virtually every school. Ever seen the staff and tutors available to our football guys? There are some damn attractive women on there. Boosters do shady stuff all over the place. Players get wrongfully paid all over the place. You could pick a school out of a hat, investigate it, and odds are you'd find pretty much everything they found at Oklahoma State to at least some extent. So why Oklahoma State? Why now? What prompted this?

Not a fan of this article, its authors, and don't know what the motive is here.

My only argument against this is that how did Oklahoma St become what they are out of what they were? Seriously. Oregon? Well, we found they were doing some illegal things. It's common knowledge what goes on in the SEC. Auburn had one championship year. It's common sense as to how. Just look at some of these "fly by night ( as I like to call them)" programs that have absolutely zero tradition to go off of prior to 2000. But i agree with you on the point that there really isnt anything about Ok St the makes me want to see this happen.

Lastly, the connecting factor to this is Les Miles. A guy on ESPN radio made the perfect point today. Les was obvoiusly using Ok St as a stepping stone and most likely didnt care about repercussions to the program. He changed the culture from the previous coach (Bob Simmons?) in allowing boosters to have access to his players on almost a full basis where as the previous coach did not. I'm sorry, but Miles has always had "I'm a crooked-ass dork" written on his forhead. He left Ok St for the SEC. Go figure. His involvement alone makes it hard for my to refute anything.

And lastly (for real), Jason Whitlock is a worthless f'ing piece of sh#t. Opinion of course.