Why this is a big game

tschu

Here's where we are as a program right now - and it's not really pretty.

I am not overlooking your prediction of a nice win in this game, but I think it's a stretch to say where we are as a program is not pretty. We had one season.....and yes, I understand it was just last season......but we had one season of defensive issues. I think based on Pelini's history, including his first four full seasons as our head coach, we need not be worried the sky is falling.

Oh trust me, the sky is nowhere close to falling. But we're also nowhere close to where we want to be, and with a loss on Saturday, we won't even be close to trending in that direction. I do think Bo is the guy for the job. But speaking in terms of national perception (and perception IS reality) we are not in a pretty place.

As a seasoned Husker fan, I learned a few decades ago not to be concerned about national perception. We win without it and have for many (many) years.

I am not overlooking your prediction of a nice win in this game, but I think it's a stretch to say where we are as a program is not pretty. We had one season.....and yes, I understand it was just last season......but we had one season of defensive issues. I think based on Pelini's history, including his first four full seasons as our head coach, we need not be worried the sky is falling.

2011 we also got our asses handed to us.

I seem to recall 9 wins.......

we also had beatdowns. 9 wins shouldn't be the standard.

we also had beatdowns. 9 wins shouldn't be the standard.

And thankfully neither are losing seasons and missed bowl games. Pelini has us going very much in the right direction.

Oh trust me, the sky is nowhere close to falling. But we're also nowhere close to where we want to be, and with a loss on Saturday, we won't even be close to trending in that direction. I do think Bo is the guy for the job. But speaking in terms of national perception (and perception IS reality) we are not in a pretty place.

As a seasoned Husker fan, I learned a few decades ago not to be concerned about national perception. We win without it and have for many (many) years.

The problem is that on top of being completely off the radar nationally, we also aren't winning. In fact, perception of Nebraska at this point is that of getting embarrassed in big games and giving up 600 yards. That's a problem for recruiting and for growing the brand and isn't a good foundation for future success. Like I said, perception is all we have as human beings. Perception is everyone's reality. Perception of Nebraska is pretty bad right now.

Again, sky is not falling and I have constantly endorsed Bo Pelini on this message board.

Hopefully tomorrow will turn the tide, this program needs to be united with the fan base or vice versa. All of us love this program, and want it to be successful.

9 wins means we won, but how we won means a lot to some people, including young recruits. How we lose is more important.

Could be a positive, man they need me! or it could be, I want no part of that, do Cornfields stink? Perception, lost in the cornfields, nothing to do and get curb stomped regularly. Living in Nebraska, you most likely do not hear that often, being out of the state and fairly vocal fan, I hear it a lot.

BUT KIFFEN IS ON FIRE AS WE SPEAK, and I love it as my boss is an SC grad that has beat on me ever since he bought the company from me.

Play good ball, win if we can, lose if we must, but be close. Equals Happy Camper on my side.

If Bo wins this game I believe he will finally shake that 4 loss shadow hanging over his tenure here.

Bo would need more than 1 big win. He would also have to beat NW, Michigan to shake those 4 losses. just so we can see he can repeat it.

what?

so 1 big win and everything is solved right?

no, but if he wins against ucla, it will be a lot easier for him to 'shake that 4 loss shadow hanging over his tenure here'. like the person you responded to with a non-sequitur said in his/her post.