Why this is a big game

tschu

Now the ultimate reason this game is huge isn't because this would be some giant signature win (it's 16th ranked UCLA. Come on). It's because the doors opened by winning are significant and because the consequences for losing are so ridiculously enormous. The outcome gap between a win and a loss is very large.

I guess I have to say this again, but this is the best explanation of this game I have seen. Good write up, tschu!

Count me in on the "holding their breath" camp. The implications of losing this game are huge.

Here's how I think we can win.

Forget the hurry up offense. Slow it down and run the ball. Grind out the clock. Keep their offense and our defense off the field. We are good enough on offense to do this if we TAKE CARE OF THE BALL. If we can win limit UCLAs' chances on offense, then I have no doubt that we walk away with a victory. If it gets into a shootout, you can pretty much chalk up one or two turnovers on offense, which can very well end the game for us.

I really think that this gameplan can work. I rewatched UCLA's first half game against Nevada and it was a close game. All Nevada did was run the ball, grind the clock, get first downs, and keep UCLA's offense off the field. Let's face it, our defense is NOT going to stop Hendley and their offense. At least I don't see us stopping him. There has been nothing in even the last two years to warrant any argument the other way.

UCLA is going to be playing with their asses lit on fire after the week they have had. We need to match their intensity and go even further.

The one thing I take away from this game is that it's our biggest game until November. After UCLA, we have 4 games in a 6 week stretch that we should be at least 2 TD favorites, with only 2 of the 4 being road games (Purdue, Minnesota). Plenty of time for the defense to improve for the slugfest that is the month of November. If we can somehow manage to get a victory, we will be looked at in a totally different light come November 9th in Ann Arbor.

I agree that this game feels different. It's definitely going to look different.

Great write up, tschu! +1

Excellent summary tschu. My problem is not so much holding my breath but afraid to acquiesce to my gut feeling that we will dominate this game. Been burned on that feeling a couple too many times in the past two years and there is no historical support for it. I just really believe our O has been bland thus far for a reason (this game) and I am super excited to see this young D get after it. I wouldn't trade the guys we've got right now for any of the "experienced" guys we lost. They may make some youthful mistakes but speed and determination should limit the damage of those mistakes. 45-27 good guys.

BTW- absolutely deserving of it's own thread. I very much liked EZE's also but this one seems to match my emotion better.

Great write up touched on alot of great points. What stands out to me is your argument for win vs loss. This is where I slightly disagree with you. I think the benefits  for winning is just a big as the damage of a loss. This is my thinking...

A Solid win- This means a strong showing on both sides of the ball, limiting a potent , high speed offense to under 28 and showing we have a top 5 offense. To me this will bring back relevance, it will show we have turned the corner from what the media and national coverage thinks of us as a team. It will get fans excited, it will light up message boards how we are a legitimate team. It will basically force the AP writers and ESPN to think of us as a potent team instead of the 9-4 meltdown team we have been. It will allow us to be looked at as a team going into Ann Arbor that will compete, instead of going there expecting to be a minor hiccup for Michigan.

A loss- Well a loss will do the exact opposite. Instead of being excited for this year, fans will start to look towards next year with a shimmer of hope and cringe as we watch us roll into Ann Arbor.

A win will do wonders a loss will sting.

48-21 Nebraska . GO BIG RED!

Ziebol- I understand what you are saying about a well played loss but I think the only people something like that would make a difference for are us diehard Nebraska fans. You and I (and many others in Huskerland) can accept and appreciate a loss if we play well and do it in a dignified manner. But, that would carry little weight on the national stage or with recruits. I'm not fond of declaring games must wins but this is a must win for the exact reasons tschu outlined.

Ziebol- I understand what you are saying about a well played loss but I think the only people something like that would make a difference for are us diehard Nebraska fans. You and I (and many others in Huskerland) can accept and appreciate a loss if we play well and do it in a dignified manner. But, that would carry little weight on the national stage or with recruits. I'm not fond of declaring games must wins but this is a must win for the exact reasons tschu outlined.

I might have worded it wrong but I was trying to hammer the point that a loss no matter what is going to be horrendous. It will do the exact opposite of a win. I was trying to argue the point that the OP made that a loss is worse for the program then how a win will benefit. What i was trying to argue is that a win will do wonders while a loss will hurt us deep. Sorry if it wasn't clear in my post.

I would equate this feel from our fanbase a lot like before 07 Mizzou. I don't think that if we lose that Bo's time here is limited. I just feel as though that would be the most comparable.

The only thing I disagree with, and admittedly I am nitpicking is calling us winning 6 in a row last year lucky. I feel we earned those wins and we obviously did what we needed to to win the game.

Other than that, I really don't think you are wrong in any aspect of your post.

I know this Husker fan is confident and excited!!!!!