Why this is a big game

tschu

This game is not big nationally... but is really big for NU. The Huskers need a quality win against a decent foe on national TV. They need it desperately. NU has done precious little in... well quite a few years really --- precious little to incline people to say that NU is headed towards something of substance. A win against UCLA alone will not overturn that reality --- but it would be a first step in the right direction.

A loss... especially a bad loss... would really, really compromise forward movement at NU. Unfortunately, while a win helps a fair amount... a loss hurts much, much more. Some to gain in victory... much more lost in defeat. A loss would more fully entrench NU as a has-been and a pretender. NU cannot afford that.

GBR. A win is badly needed (or, perhaps better stated... avoiding another nationally-televised loss is badly needed).

Well, as robsker mentioned, it's really not a big game nationally. And even though it sounds like NU is favored, many are picking UCLA. If Nebraska wins, it'll be a much bigger deal to the fans, and nationally (for people that just look at rankings) they'll think Nebraska had a nice win but nothing too crazy because UCLA wasn't an elite team.

If Nebraska loses, nationally, I don't think it changes the perception much. There goes the Huskers losing another national game, oh well, time for 'Bama and A&M.

Locally, and as tschu said, fans will be a lot more fired up. I get this kind of weird feeling that a lot of fans are expecting or thinking a loss, but also leaving the team little option but to win.

27-24 win, and we're rolling. top 10 right around the corner.

24-27 loss with a decent, hard fought effort...giving up 400ish yards and we'll be fine. It'll sting, but there will still be hope and I'd expect UCLA to go on to a 10-11 win season making the loss seem even better by the end of the year.

24-42 loss, giving up 550ish yards, then it's obvious we have a big problem. We can't continue to write off, and explain away these meltdowns. Under this scenario, I'm predicting we lose to Illinois, Michigan, Penn State and finish the year w/ the typical 4 losses and a toilet bowl showing.

This game is a barometer for the pending season....

27-24 win, and we're rolling. top 10 right around the corner.

24-27 loss with a decent, hard fought effort...giving up 400ish yards and we'll be fine. It'll sting, but there will still be hope and I'd expect UCLA to go on to a 10-11 win season making the loss seem even better by the end of the year.

24-42 loss, giving up 550ish yards, then it's obvious we have a big problem. We can't continue to write off, and explain away these meltdowns. Under this scenario, I'm predicting we lose to Illinois, Michigan, Penn State and finish the year w/ the typical 4 losses and a toilet bowl showing.

This game is a barometer for the pending season....

can't really argue with anything you say. Makes sense.

Not sure who NU loses to --- you state Illinois, Michigan, Penn State --- and that is possible. I'd articulate it this way... if NU gets handled big time by UCLA then it follows that 3 more unspecified losses from the grouping of Illinois, Penn State, Michigan State, Michigan and Northwestern --- is likely. And... that does not count a bowl game where the risk of a 5th loss is fairly high.

But who knows? maybe NU is better than we think. maybe NU handles UCLA. If so... confidence against the likes of Illinois, Penn State, Michigan State, Michigan and Northwestern is higher. So... this is a barometer game for NU.

I watched the entire Illinois/Cinci game last week. That offense was clickin. It'll be interesting to see how they handle Washington this week - but I think Illinois might be our most difficult game of the season next to Michigan. The off week should help, but this is an opponent I could see us looking over. If we win against UCLA, maybe even more so. Northwestern is late enough in the season that the things should have come around for the D. Illinois is just early enough to give us a run.

Good post

As with most NU fans, I'm disappointed with the inconsistancies with Bo's teams

The mistakes and lack of discipline, untimely penalties and turnovers etc have become the only consistent thing we can depend on

We all get encouraged by a game or 2, then it's right back to square 1 it seems. No way to predict how Bo's teams will play.

We are tired of getting our hopes even a lttle up, only to be dashed yet again

So like most I'm supportive and just hope we play well. There isnt much any of us can do to make the situation better.

I'm not even cautiously optimistic anymore, just a supporter watching the game with friends and family

But I do like Bo as a person, like the never give up attitude of many of the players, how Bo follows the rules, embraces tradition etc

I watched the entire Illinois/Cinci game last week. That offense was clickin. It'll be interesting to see how they handle Washington this week - but I think Illinois might be our most difficult game of the season next to Michigan. The off week should help, but this is an opponent I could see us looking over. If we win against UCLA, maybe even more so. Northwestern is late enough in the season that the things should have come around for the D. Illinois is just early enough to give us a run.

Agree 100%, not a gimmie game now

We dont match up well with them IMO

To this point, Scheelhouse scares me a lot.