Why this is a big game

tschu

Great write up touched on alot of great points. What stands out to me is your argument for win vs loss. This is where I slightly disagree with you. I think the benefits for winning is just a big as the damage of a loss. This is my thinking...

A Solid win- This means a strong showing on both sides of the ball, limiting a potent , high speed offense to under 28 and showing we have a top 5 offense. To me this will bring back relevance, it will show we have turned the corner from what the media and national coverage thinks of us as a team. It will get fans excited, it will light up message boards how we are a legitimate team. It will basically force the AP writers and ESPN to think of us as a potent team instead of the 9-4 meltdown team we have been.

Yeah I kind of agree, but my general line of thinking is that UCLA is almost certainly going to be a 4-loss team this year (look at that schedule! lordy), and if we win, they will be very low in the top 25 and may fall out altogether. Unless we totally blow them out we'll garner just a bit of respect for the win, but the bigger benefits are going to come down the road.

Forget a single comma and the whole post doesn't make sense haha. I fixed it though should be clear now.

Oh sure, fix it now and make me look stupid ;-) jk

This will date me but what was it that Rosanne Rosanna Dana used to say; "oh, well that's different then. Nevermind." Or something to that effect.

Agree on all accounts, tschu. This is a very big game for Nebraska's image this season. If we Nebraska loses Saturday (which, I'm sorry to say, I think we will), it will leave a bad taste Husker fans mouth and won't be remedied until November. The good - many people expected growing pains given the inexperience on defense. The bad - it's year six and Pelini still has yet to create an all around good team and win a conference title. Like you said, people have been circling 2013 for a couple of years now because of the SOS. If Nebraska is gonna win a conference title, this was there best chance to get there relatively unscathed.

Week one set NU back and opened some eyes, but it was only week one. There's always room for hope. The season isn't gone if Nebraska loses Saturday, but it will definitely cast doubt on what they'll be able to accomplish.

Here's a scenario tschu, what if Nebraska comes up short to a UCLA team perceived by many to be a top program in the Pac-12, but it's something along the lines of 27-24? The perception we've had the last few times we've been on natty TV is that we get blown out and that our defense sucks. A game like this would certainly be an exception.

And then would we stay out of the rankings until November? No, I doubt that as well.

This is a big game, no doubt about it.

I look at it like this.......if NEB was to lose on Saturday (a close loss I might add), there's still a solid chance NEB goes undefeated in the BIG10 IMO. For crying out loud, Notre Lame's offense hasn't impressed me and they put up 30 points against Michigan. I would be looking at the NW and Mich games as being the toughest once this Saturday's game is over, esp. Michigan. Michigan hasn't had a loss at home under Hoke if I am not mistaken.

I think Michigan is a lot better than most people expect. They've looked a lot better than I expected for sure.

If we lose 27-24...wow I certainly don't expect that result but you never know. Still, on the national scene, losing at home to 6 point dogs is not a good look. Depending on how good UCLA ends up being it may not mean the end of the world in terms of the Big Ten Championship, but we'll certainly drop from the polls with little opportunity to make up ground. I think I stand by my original statement actually, regardless of our margin of loss should we lose.

Quite a few are saying the south out here is UCLA or Arizona State. Listening to XM today, most had UCLA winning and some big. A lot of respect for Hundly. A loss would be bad, close fought it could turn out okay, but if we get blown out, I think there will be some serious screaming. I really have no idea of what to expect Saturday. Will watch to the end either way. I truly have no idea how good we are or how good they are. Hoping for the best, but could handle the worst. Just keep it close if we lose is all that I ask.

In Bo's sixth year, with a 4 year starter at QB, we need to accomplish something big. We are not likely to accomplish anything big if we don't win this game. A loss probably means we are looking at yet another 4 loss season, and Husker fans will be restless. It is also a chance to save some face on our national perception, which is sorely needed after many blowouts on the national scene. This is a very important game for the program.

• Fire 2

Great article tschu...besides beating an average Washington team twice we have struggled to win these 'big' out of conference games. I think it helps in every aspect from players and coaches to the recruits and media. And hell, the fans. We know we have Miami next two years which will be great, but I agree that UCLA game is very 'BIG'

2006: USC - Lost 10-28 on ABC

2007: USC - Lost 31-49 on ABC

2008: V Tech - Lost 30-35 on ABC

2009: V Tech - Lost 15-16 on ABC

2012: UCLA - Lost 30-36 on Fox

2013 UCLA - ??? on ABC

I just have this feeling that if we win this one the story from the national media will be that UCLA was not as good as advertised.

I think that depends on how the game goes. If we end up blowing them out to the point where they never even had the chance, then I agree that people will say they aren't the team everyone thought. But if it's close and both teams are playing well, and the game isn't sloppy, then whoever wins will get the boost in national perception.

For some reason, I have a feeling this game goes into OT and we are able to pull it out. Something to the tune of 35-31. Then UCLA goes on to win the PAC 12. ;)

I think Michigan is a lot better than most people expect. They've looked a lot better than I expected for sure.

If we lose 27-24...wow I certainly don't expect that result but you never know. Still, on the national scene, losing at home to 6 point dogs is not a good look. Depending on how good UCLA ends up being it may not mean the end of the world in terms of the Big Ten Championship, but we'll certainly drop from the polls with little opportunity to make up ground. I think I stand by my original statement actually, regardless of our margin of loss should we lose.

I am not sure Michigan is better than we thought, I am not sure ND is that great. Michigan is solid, but we will see.

Everyone is so sure that UCLA is going to try the exact same thing as last year to beat NU, not saying they won't try it, but I don't think Mora is that stupid to think he can use last years game plan and just come and roll. He will have some new wrinkles.

Nebraska just needs to play better than last year and things will go better, period. I was at the game and the tackling was atrocious. When BO says they got 300 YAC he wasn't kidding.

I have said this before, I watch UCLA play a few more times last year, and they never played as well again as they did against NU. They played some good FB, but not as good. They played a near perfect game against NU offensively. Everything in their game plan worked. I never saw their offense click that well again. I am sure our D helped them look great, but Hundley was never that sharp in any of the other games I watched. He was good, but he still missed on things.

Nebraska just needs to play better and they will win.