Wisconsin jobbed @ Arizona State

tschu

Ok so it was hard to see him take the knee....second hand the ball to the ref! He has to set it so rather than having to pick it up give it to him!

That said 10 seconds left after the refs blew the whistle....the refs need to hustle knowing what's at stake. And after seeing the crappy officiating at the UCLA/Nebraska game yesterday, I'm not willing to give the PAC refs the benefit of the doubt when officiating their own conference...

Nah, PAC officials are never involved in controversy

I thought when you traveled, your conference officials did the game. Why was this a PAC 12 crew.

Something about the PAC - they want their refs to officiate as many games as possible - OU vs OU above was PAC refs

Should be noted that while many OOC games are officiated by the road team's conference crews, this game was officiated by a Pac-12 crew

Wow. Wisky got completely jobbed. Why were Pac 12 refs calling this game???!! Why were Pac 12 refs even calling our game vs. UCLA. I don't care what normally happens with OOC games...IMO, OOC games should be called by neutral refs. The Pac 12 crew hurt us at key times yesterday with the roughing the passer calls (we breathe on Hundley and its a personal foul...UCLA hits TMart helmet to helmet and its lauded as "art" by Speilman). Take the damn bias out of the game. It kills a lot of good games (not only college football).

I'd argue that Wisconsin did things perfectly.

Far from perfect.

It wasn't at all obvious that Stave took a knee, though the refs did blow it dead so that should have been good enough.

While the ref was dicking around with the ball, Wisconsin is just kind of milling around, not ready to snap the ball, even as the clock is ticking under 5 seconds. Had the refs given them 3 seconds instead of 1, they still wouldn't have gotten the play off and finished in time. Even 5 seconds might not have been enough, because it would've taken them a second or two to get set, then you have to be set for a second before the snap, then the snap and drilling the ball down and the timer reaction to stop the clock.

Just kick the field goal from the hash mark. There's no reason to give the ref an opportunity to job you. What if you fumble the snap? There is the same pile up and delay in getting the ball set.

Dude

You can't get set until the ball is spotted

What were they supposed to do?

Best option: kick the field goal with 19 seconds left.

Option #2: Have a little sense of urgency. They are still just kind of wandering around with 5 seconds to go. You know where the ball is going to be, go ahead line up and make a minor adjustment if the ref moves the ball. With 4 seconds left the QB takes 2 steps back away from the center and didn't even move near the center until 2 seconds left. Maybe the ref would've taken a cue from the offense had they actually been pushing for him to snap it. I agree this is arguable, which is why you go with option #1.

This guy gets it.

Wisconsin hosed themselves. Best option would have been to kick a field goal with 19 seconds.

I don't understand why the QB didn't spike the ball to stop the clock rather than take a knee, if in fact he did though it didn't look like it in live action. Either way, very poor decisions with only a few seconds left in the game.

Wisconsin hosed themselves. Best option would have been to kick a field goal with 19 seconds.

I don't understand why the QB didn't spike the ball to stop the clock rather than take a knee, if in fact he did though it didn't look like it in live action. Either way, very poor decisions with only a few seconds left in the game.

They wanted to center the ball in the middle of the field for the field goal. An incompletion would've put it back on the hash mark. I don't think it was worth the risk of a fumbled snap or relying on the ref to get the ball spotted in time with no time out left to stop the clock.

For the record, I never said they didn't get screwed. I just countered the claim that Wisconsin did things "perfectly". They took an unnecessary risk and got burned by it.

They took no risk, they did everything right, everything done was legal and if the referrers did their job it would have had a normal result, which is another down to kick the field goal. This is why there are additional sanctions against the officials, If there was something considered "unnecessary risk"(and I'm not aware of any such rule) in that play, there would have been no sanctions against the officials.

You cant always pass the buck on the victim of someone else's folly.

That's hardly an unnecessary risk. Given how wide college hashmarks are and how bad college kickers are, centering the ball is definitely a good move there, and 18 seconds is more than enough time to center and spike.

Stave even placed the ball right where it should go as part of the plan to make it easier for the officials. And they still massively f'd it up.