Week 3 Conference vs conference comparisons

Michiganball

Big had a tough week, After week 2 Big had the best record with only 3 losses, now it ranks 3rd in inter conference win percentage, though it would have been second if not for the Wisconsin ending, but that's how it goes.

PAC12.....0.773843 23-4

SEC.........0.701526 22-6

Big10.......0.688972 28-8

ACC.........0.664485 21-7

Big12.......0.570587 16-7

For a detailed view and rest of the conferences follow the linky

http://www.colleyrankings.com/curconf.html

The media (ESPN) will still piss on the B1G. Three of the B1G losses were to higher ranked teams (ND, UCLA and Wash) and one of the losses (ASU) likely should have been a win if the refs did things right. The PSU loss was bad.

So how has the SEC done vs higher ranked OOC teams? That's right, they haven't played any higher ranked OOC games besides UK and UT losing to Lville and Oregon respectively. UGa did lose to Clemson (ranked close) and UF lost to Miami which they are currently ranked close to each other. But the media really played up #23 Ole Miss beating a really bad Texas team just because it is the SEC beating up on big bad Texas.

These excuses aside, in order to get some national credibility back, the B1G needs to be able to beat more than just MAC teams and ND each year in its OOC slate. It really needed 3 of those games vs the PAC 12 and if Purdue held on, that would have been icing on the cake.

Maybe IU can take care of Missouri this week.

These are interesting, but I've always felt the best comparisons of roughly equal teams' position within their conferences has always been the bowl records.

Agree for the most part - but for a number of years the B1G bowl alignments/parings have been very bad for a number of reasons.

1. In the last 10 years, there has been probably fewer than 10 bowl games vs non-bcs, Big east or ACC teams. Most of the match ups were vs the SEC (3/4 games), B12 (2/3 games) and the rose bowl vs PAC Champ. Even the SEC has had its share of gimmie bowl games vs Big East, CUSA, WAC teams.

2. In the last 10 years or so, OSU and Mich were selected as at-large BCS teams even though there were higher ranked teams. Mainly b/c they have large national followings and fill the hotel rooms. This had two effects - a the B1G at large was usually going against a higher ranked BCS team. Ex - 2008 when #10 OSU played #3 Texas; Mich/Ill vs USC. The second is that by having an at large bid, it had a trickle down effect on other B1G bowl match ups. That is, you had B1G teams playing higher ranked teams because they moved up in the B1G bowl pecking order. Example, if Mich wasn't selected in 2010 for BCS at large they would be playing against SCar in Cap One bowl and Neb vs UGa, Mich State vs UF.

3. PSU and OSU bowl bans caused some uneven bowl match ups. One year B1G had its number 7 team Iowa going up against B12 #3 Oklahoma (who had been #1 much of the year).

I know this sounds like a mix bag of excuses but the bowl mis-alignments have a lot to do with the B1G's bowl record. Especially when most of the bowl games are vs the SEC which goes 4-5 deep with quality teams, the B1G needs its true #2 going against the SEC's #2 or #3.

As far as bowl games you can always add the fact that like last year, we played 4 of the 7 games in the home state of our opponent, statistically that will give a 1-3 record. So one has to have a well above par team to win more games on the road then loose, something mostly impossible with on par teams.

Really the bottom dweller seems to be BIG 12 atm yet you don't hear any complaints with them. But as far as I can remember BIG has always been dogged on, they used to be called boring because of the 3 yards and a cloud of dust game play, you still hear that nonsense even though they stopped that sort of play in the mid 80's.

What it comes down to and I rarely say this, is envy. Old large storied prestigious schools that more people will watch on tv even with worse records then some new whore of the month SEC team. You just cant buy history.

These are interesting, but I've always felt the best comparisons of roughly equal teams' position within their conferences has always been the bowl records.

Agree for the most part - but for a number of years the B1G bowl alignments/parings have been very bad for a number of reasons.

1. In the last 10 years, there has been probably fewer than 10 bowl games vs non-bcs, Big east or ACC teams. Most of the match ups were vs the SEC (3/4 games), B12 (2/3 games) and the rose bowl vs PAC Champ. Even the SEC has had its share of gimmie bowl games vs Big East, CUSA, WAC teams.

2. In the last 10 years or so, OSU and Mich were selected as at-large BCS teams even though there were higher ranked teams. Mainly b/c they have large national followings and fill the hotel rooms. This had two effects - a the B1G at large was usually going against a higher ranked BCS team. Ex - 2008 when #10 OSU played #3 Texas; Mich/Ill vs USC. The second is that by having an at large bid, it had a trickle down effect on other B1G bowl match ups. That is, you had B1G teams playing higher ranked teams because they moved up in the B1G bowl pecking order. Example, if Mich wasn't selected in 2010 for BCS at large they would be playing against SCar in Cap One bowl and Neb vs UGa, Mich State vs UF.

3. PSU and OSU bowl bans caused some uneven bowl match ups. One year B1G had its number 7 team Iowa going up against B12 #3 Oklahoma (who had been #1 much of the year).

I know this sounds like a mix bag of excuses but the bowl mis-alignments have a lot to do with the B1G's bowl record. Especially when most of the bowl games are vs the SEC which goes 4-5 deep with quality teams, the B1G needs its true #2 going against the SEC's #2 or #3.

3. The SEC has the same effect of having almost always 2 BCS teams. I wonder if they offer that as an excuse as to why their record in the Sugar Bowl isn't as glamorous as you'd expect. Actually I am not even sure if the SEC has benefitted from having so many BUG opponents on the Jan 1st AM bowls, they have dropped quite a few of them. And as you Huskers know there have been a few nailbiters.

But teams are not always on equal footing for the bowl game. Coaches often leave before the bowl game. Motivation can very by quite a bit depending on circumstances. Perfect example: I refuse to believe that Washington got 47 points better between Sept. 18th and December 30th, 2010.

• 3 weeks later...

But teams are not always on equal footing for the bowl game. Coaches often leave before the bowl game. Motivation can very by quite a bit depending on circumstances. Perfect example: I refuse to believe that Washington got 47 points better between Sept. 18th and December 30th, 2010.

I think that has more to do with playing a team again that you already dominated. How do you motivate yourself for a month with that?

Big had a tough week, After week 2 Big had the best record with only 3 losses, now it ranks 3rd in inter conference win percentage, though it would have been second if not for the Wisconsin ending, but that's how it goes.

PAC12.....0.773843 23-4

SEC.........0.701526 22-6

Big10.......0.688972 28-8

ACC.........0.664485 21-7

Big12.......0.570587 16-7

For a detailed view and rest of the conferences follow the linky

http://www.colleyrankings.com/curconf.html

current rankings are the same, except the ACC made a move on the B1G. Now we are 4rth :hmmph