Give Morgan A Chance

After watching the NU VB team on NET Thursday and Friday, and then actually being at the Sports Center on Saturday to see their win over Iowa State, I truly believe this young team has GREAT potential. It appears that the new faces are meshing well with one another and will continue to improve over the next few weeks. Now, if I may just express some disappointment for a moment.....I fully understand you play your best players but I can't help but wonder how Morgan Broekhuis is handling her senior year. I feel sorry for this hard working gal who has dedicated her last three years to NU volleyball and now in her senior year is standing on the sidelines. She has played very well for the NU VB team but it now seems that her days are done. It appears Cook doesnt even want to give her a chance. Morgan is a great player and I think its a shame she wont be on the court much this season. She is a true Husker She is a player who came to Nebraska in her freshman year to play for the Big Red. She isnt some girl who decided in her senior year to come to the Husker state to play for a winning team.

The two things that hurt her, imo, are her blocking skills and the inability to put away sets not 100% in her wheelhouse.

I also seem to remember her serving into the net quite a few times last year. I realize that may not be her forte, but I remember them coming at some awful times last year. Maybe this has something to do with her not being in the rotation.

After watching the NU VB team on NET Thursday and Friday, and then actually being at the Sports Center on Saturday to see their win over Iowa State, I truly believe this young team has GREAT potential. It appears that the new faces are meshing well with one another and will continue to improve over the next few weeks. Now, if I may just express some disappointment for a moment.....I fully understand you play your best players but I can't help but wonder how Morgan Broekhuis is handling her senior year. I feel sorry for this hard working gal who has dedicated her last three years to NU volleyball and now in her senior year is standing on the sidelines. She has played very well for the NU VB team but it now seems that her days are done. It appears Cook doesnt even want to give her a chance. Morgan is a great player and I think its a shame she wont be on the court much this season. She is a true Husker She is a player who came to Nebraska in her freshman year to play for the Big Red. She isnt some girl who decided in her senior year to come to the Husker state to play for a winning team.

Uh.. Morgan is NOT a great player. In fact there is not one facet of her game that would be considered great by most people's standards. And as far as a Coach Cook giving her a chance, I think the three years she's been a starter is chance enough. Also, have you been paying attention to the play of Amber Rolfzen? She is, as a true freshman, playing better than Morgan EVER has. Your last comment makes zero sense for numerous reasons, most notably that Kelsey Robinson's presence on the team has nothing to do with Morgan's lack of playing time. It should also be said that Nebraska is VERY lucky to have her. She was one of SIX girls who transfered from Tennessee a reflection of systematic issues there, not an issue of girls wanting to play for a winning program. I can also assure you, she wouldn't be here if Coach Cook didnt want her, and believe me, he wanted and needed her.

Having said all this, I am not without empathy for ANY player who has to ride the bench after three years because a better player comes along. Keep in mind, this is D1 volleyball at the highest level. Coaches are ALWAYS going to be recruiting other players that are going to be trying their best to get court time. ALL these girls can play, but John Cook is going to put the players on the court that gives the Huskers the best chance to win regardless of a player's tenure or previous standing as a starter. That is the nature of major college volleyball, and the players know that coming in. If they're not happy with their standing, they need to raise their level of competency.

Regarding Morgan's attitude, from what I've seen, it's never been better. There have been times during the last couple years when she looked like she would rather be anywhere else OTHER than on a volleyball court. This was also often reflected by her play, often being just a little bit better than a no-show. This year, she seems happy, looks to be very much engaged in what's going on, and is often very animated in her encouragement during timeouts, taking an active, vocal role as a team captain.

Again, the bottom line is putting the best team on the court that gives your team a chance to win. On the right side, that player is CLEARLY Amber Rolfzen.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. Maybe it was an off night but both of the Rolfzen's, Amber especially did not look all that impressive last night against Northwestern. This was my first look at them in person at least and I can't say I was blown away at all with them last night. I was actually glad to see Broekhuis finally get some time. Amber Rolfzen looked horrible.

On a positive note Kelsey Robinson was on fire. I love that girl's game.

Wow. Maybe it was an off night but both of the Rolfzen's, Amber especially did not look all that impressive last night against Northwestern. This was my first look at them in person at least and I can't say I was blown away at all with them last night. I was actually glad to see Broekhuis finally get some time. Amber Rolfzen looked horrible.

Not sure what match you watched. Yes, Amber was off although Morgan wasn't any better in relief. Kadie however had 19 kills hitting .378 with 10 digs. Regarding Amber, if you look at her stats in other matches, you'll see she has been playing at a VERY high level, being named B1G Freshman of The Week last week.

Not sure what match you watched. Yes, Amber was off although Morgan wasn't any better in relief. Kadie however had 19 kills hitting .378 with 10 digs. Regarding Amber, if you look at her stats in other matches, you'll see she has been playing at a VERY high level, being named B1G Freshman of The Week last week.

Pretty obvious that's the first match you've watched. Amber was off that night but that's about the first time this year. But if you think Kadie was "off" while hitting .378 with 19 kills and 10 digs, I'm not sure you know what you're talking about.

Pretty obvious that's the first match you've watched. Amber was off that night but that's about the first time this year. But if you think Kadie was "off" while hitting .378 with 19 kills and 10 digs, I'm not sure you know what you're talking about.

And it's pretty obvious your reading comprehension skills are lacking (re: "Amber especially") and that you didn't see either game this weekend. Kadie did not look good in the 2nd set, the set that Northwestern won but again if you can read I was referring to Amber primarily against Northwestern. Amber looked the same against Illinois... (.048 hitting % after a -.136 (yes that's negative .136) hitting % against Northwestern with only nine kills total for both matches this weekend)......

And it's pretty obvious your reading comprehension skills are lacking (re: "Amber especially") and that you didn't see either game this weekend. Kadie did not look good in the 2nd set, the set that Northwestern won but again if you can read I was referring to Amber primarily against Northwestern. Amber looked the same against Illinois... (.048 hitting % after a -.136 (yes that's negative .136) hitting % against Northwestern with only nine kills total for both matches this weekend)......

You're definitely right about Amber. Not her best weekend. But as was mentioned earlier, that wasn't typical of her play this year.

I would take Amber (-.000 hitting and all) over Morgan. Her ability to play the whole rotation and her blocking is a upgrade over what M.B. can bring to the court. But, at the same time I do feel for a Senior who has given her all for this program. She has always had a smile on her face and been gracious whenever dealing with fans/boosters/etc..

• 2 weeks later...