**** What Did We Learn ****

walksalone

1.) Defensive line should be: Gregory, Valentine, Collins, and Moss.

I think Curry looked really good as well, he should definitely get more reps.

I agree, Curry might be the 1st DT on the year to catch a QB outside the pocket and actually get him down. I liked what I saw, but I also like what I see from Collins and Maurice.

Edited by zoogies
trimmed quote

7. There will be talk about TA starting from here on out.

This. I think Bo has a QB controversy on his hands now

8.5 That there are those on this board that don't want to hear of your talk of talk about anyone other than TM starting the rest of the year.

9. That there are people out there and on this board who don't want to hear there is another option at QB besides TM.

10. That there are people out there and on this board who don't want to hear there is another option at QB besides TArms.

First off I just want to say I realize it was SDSU we played. Our offense seemed so much more consistent and in sync with TA in at QB. He truly kept the defense on their toes. He can run it consistently for 5 yards something Martinez has a hard time doing, seems like he either gets a huge gain or a loss by trying to get a huge gain. TA also has a cannon and is accurate especially on the deep ball to Bell who dropped in the end zone. I was at the game and it was a near perfect pass. How many three-and-outs did we have? I just want to see consistency with our offense. Have a chance to score every drive unlike our O so far this year too much quick drives resulting in punts. Also need to get Alonzo Moore in there more (no pun intended) dude is quick and make people miss without losing a step.

Another thing I noticed is that we are missing one play making safety. Which could be CJax but he doesn't know the plays which could be a liability. D will be fine if we blitz or show different coverages to confuse the offense, and change up safety play. Need to stop playing 2 safeties over the top or at least hide it better.

Context added:

First off, I realize it was SDSU we played. Our offense seemed so much more consistent and in sync with TA in at QB against an FCS team than Tmagic against BCS teams. He truly kept the FCS team defense on their toes. He can run it consistently for 5 yards against an FCS team,

TA also has a cannon and is accurate against an FCS team, especially on the deep ball to Bell who dropped in the end zone. It was a near perfect pass against an FCS team. How many three-and-outs did we have against an FCS team? I just want to see consistency with our offense against an FCS team. Have a chance to score every drive like we can against an FCS team, unlike our O so far this year, too many quick drives resulting in punts against BCS opponents.

If TArms is the best QB, you can bet your last dollar Bo plays him the rest of the season. Bo will play the best guys.

Have a little faith.

Did NEB even punt the ball against SDSU!??

If not, that tells you a bit of something........

How did we do the LAST time we played SDSU?

SDSU is higher ranked this time around that year they finished 5-6 and the following teams scored more points than NU. some 2x as us:

Delaware

Illinois State

Northern Iowa

Western Illinois

Youngstown State

North Dakota State

Indiana State

How many punts in that game? A bunch

Who was the QB? Martinez

Who made all the bad decisions on the option there?

SDSU in that game forced TM to throw the long ball- which he is very inconsistent at doing.

So TA's debut might not be as worthless as some would like to portray it as

Really? You want to compare a game from 2010 to last week?

Hmmm... different personnel last time on both sides of the ball.

Comparing games doesn't work. Hell, playing Wisconsin twice last year yielded different results with pretty much the same personnel. Didn't it?

Edited by zoogies
trimmed quote

Correct, MOST experts feel SDSU is much better this year .They wont finish 5-6 like the last time NU played them.

To discount TAs success because this was a 1AA team- maybe not so much.

Certainly our defense was better back then, gave the offense much better field position and more possessions- which should have meant we would have scored more than 17 points. Especially when

Delaware

Illinois State

Northern Iowa

Western Illinois

Youngstown State

North Dakota State

Indiana State

All scored more points on SDSU than us that year.

Edited by zoogies
trimmed quote

Once again...

Comparing games doesn't work.

You only have to remember last year for a very good example.

Playing Wisconsin twice last year yielded different results with pretty much the same personnel. Didn't it? And that's about as close a comparison as you can get.

Don't know how you expect other teams or games to compare. Ain't happening.

And yes- To DOWNPLAY the two backup QBs success because this was a 1AA team would be plain old fashioned common sense.

Edited by zoogies
trimmed quote

Once again...

Comparing games doesn't work.

You only have to remember last year for a very good example.

Playing Wisconsin twice last year yielded different results with pretty much the same personnel. Didn't it? And that's about as close a comparison as you can get.

Don't know how you expect other teams or games to compare. Ain't happening.

And yes- To DOWNPLAY the two backup QBs success because this was a 1AA team would be plain old fashioned common sense.

You totally miss the point

The net IS just because a team is 1AA doesnt mean you cant discern if a player like TA:

Sets up in the pocket

Has smooth lateral speed

Attacks at the correct angle on Speed Option

Throws off his front foot

Has a quick release and proper release point

Has proper shoulder placement on throws

Can hit throws of varying distance and places on the field

Can play aggressively both running the ball and even blocking

Can lead receivers

Can make good decisions on option plays

Can hold onto the football- hold it properly and attack at proper shoulder pad level

LOTS of things you can see about a player that dont even require contact-

Some players like TM- didnt do many of these things very well against air let alone IAA team like SDSU just a couple of years ago

• Fire 1

Yeah, Tommy did about everything right against the Jackwabbits. It's still reasonable to expect that he struggle against better competition - it's very early in his career, after all - but he could hardly have done a better job against SDSU. It's one of those games where if you do well, great, you were supposed to. If you don't, uh oh.

Yeah, Tommy did about everything right against the Jackwabbits. It's still reasonable to expect that he struggle against better competition - it's very early in his career, after all - but he could hardly have done a better job against SDSU. It's one of those games where if you do well, great, you were supposed to. If you don't, uh oh.

Yep

TM struggled against a 1AA team SDSU in 2010, he didnt play very well at all

What I saw in that game was:

Poor reads in the Zone Read- about 1/2 of them were wrong

Poor Set ups in the pocket, Poor Pocket Presence

Poor lateral speed

Throws off of back foot

Improper release point on ball

Wildly improper shoulder placement on throws

Didnt lead receivers well

Poor ball security

Fundamentals dont change based on who you play, even when you are playing on air