**** What Did We Learn ****

walksalone

I learned that the receivers didn't know what to do when Armstrong was putting the ball right into his receivers' hands, in stride. It resulted in dropped passes and a weird fumble by Kenny Bell. Armstrong was able to make clutch throws and put the ball in places only his receivers could get it. He has huge upside and vision in the passing game. I learned our QB's were able to put their receivers in open space. That the swing pass worked, screen passes worked. These two QBs showed how to throw a ball properly and they showed incredible poise in the pocket. Tommy was cool and calm. Something we haven't seen since 2008 & Joe Ganz.

Although it wasn't against the best competition. I have reason to believe that Tommy Armstrong would be able to carry this offense if needed. That the future looks so bright for him.

Great read on the other Husker board. Guy named "short side option" does a great job breaking down our defensive woes. It is purely scheme. Once he breaks down the game film it is sad to see how easy it is to beat/gash our D. Even more disturbing our 3mill coach and staff can't see it.............or won't see it.

Really? Maybe he should go and be a coach--if he knows how terrible our scheme is. Please.

So you think our scheme is good? I do not think there is one person on this board praising its success. So we all call Bo stubborn, scheme is poor etc, but if another board posts the same thing their idiots? Really?

I don't think the scheme is good; I do think it's not as bad as people are making it out to be and I do think that nobody outside of the coaching ranks can really dictate to us why the scheme fails. There's sooooo many variables that lead to a failed play that it's hard to say why there is a problem.

I learned that TA is the best QB that we have, even if TM is healthy and despite what Bo keeps insisting. I know he will never take over for TM as a starter and it's a shame.......but it's well documented that Bo is loyal to TM is a very strange sort of way for some reason. So that being said......I know that beyond this year.......I will have much less frustration watching the QB play at NE.......today was fun to watch on the offensive side of the ball (despite who we were playing.....because that team still had 11 men on the field) and they executed in every facet of the game and I haven't seen that in MANY years. 300/300 plus game.......first time EVER in NE history.......and NE has had MANY powerful offenses that played against many creampuff teams........but they never got a 300/300 game. I just wish my tingley feeling over the QB situation would have to wait until next year.

Oh and one more thing I learned......our defense is still soft as Charmin tissue.....they need to man up and find an attitude !

Scheme doesn't matter if your DL is terrible. This DL is just a tad better than the 2004 DL and that one was pathetic for the same reason. No quality depth due to poor recruiting. That is the reason why Bo looked like a genius when he had Suh and company, and now looks like a clown with what he replaced those guys with. That is probably the most disappointing part about this staffs recruiting failures is that you can't sell what you turned Suh into better DL recruits?

There is just too much responsibility on the LB's and secondary to be perfect with what they have up front for this defense to be successful. In other words, it is going to be a long season as the problems can't be fixed with experience, we need better DL, especially at the tackle positions.

• Fire 1

TM's time is gone time to embrace TA. Offense runs better. that's the only criteria.

Nope.

Yep.

You guys know Bo. TM will play no matter how much you don't want him to and there will be no QB controversy period.

Correct

Heard headedness, to prove his point

The herky jerky 1970s Jaguar with cheap gas looked like a well broken in Mercedes running on premium today. Instead of the highs and lows, we saw quite a bit of consistency.

Note that for those remarking it was a FBS team- the last time NU played them the score was just 17-3 and most of the experts feel this SDSU team is better

Is the debate over? Of course not, but the kid did everything anyone could have hoped for

TM's time is gone time to embrace TA. Offense runs better. that's the only criteria.

Nope.

Yep.

You guys know Bo. TM will play no matter how much you don't want him to and there will be no QB controversy period.

Correct

Heard headedness, to prove his point

The herky jerky 1970s Jaguar with cheap gas looked like a well broken in Mercedes running on premium today. Instead of the highs and lows, we saw quite a bit of consistency.

Note that for those remarking it was a FBS team- the last time NU played them the score was just 17-3 and most of the experts feel this SDSU team is better

So Bo drives a 1970's Jaguar?

Good things happen when we put pressure on the QB. 5 sacks for 44 yds loss. 2 Interceptions for 44 yds and a TD.

Then again, a better team would be more likely to burn us for walking a DB up to the line.

I'm not saying we should be blitzing LBs/DBs every play...I'm saying we should let the defensive line turn loose. If a DLineman is able to get past the OLine and attack the QB, why should we tell him to play pattycake instead? We have solid DEs capable of providing a pass rush, let them loose.

DL crashing into the line would also help stop the running. It is too easy to get a push against out DL when they are reading and containing.

Bo has to abandon his scheme. He claims it works despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. He needs to accept that Suh is gone and playing -2 in the run game will get you killed. Even against a FCS team.

If our defense was competent, not good, just competent, they'd have a chance to run the table. Also, Armstrong has a much higher upside than Tmart.

I don't think this defense works even if we have another Suh. Opposing OCs have seen enough to figure out how to beat it. Adapt or die, and Bo is killing us.

Scheme doesn't matter if your DL is terrible. This DL is just a tad better than the 2004 DL and that one was pathetic for the same reason. No quality depth due to poor recruiting. That is the reason why Bo looked like a genius when he had Suh and company, and now looks like a clown with what he replaced those guys with. That is probably the most disappointing part about this staffs recruiting failures is that you can't sell what you turned Suh into better DL recruits?

There is just too much responsibility on the LB's and secondary to be perfect with what they have up front for this defense to be successful. In other words, it is going to be a long season as the problems can't be fixed with experience, we need better DL, especially at the tackle positions.

I agree with the point on the recruiting failures. The seniors on our DL are not as productive as we need them to be. I think the freshmen and transfer look great and will continue to progress. But yes, I would personally put recruiting as Pelini's top issue as a failure, but think he's done a good job addressing it the past two years.

It has consistently worked at least 9 out of 13 times per season......even with poor talent the past couple of seasons.

Nope. False logic. Just because the defense was on the side that won, doesn't mean that what it did do actually worked.

Suppose a kicker missed six 15 yard field goals, but his team won 6-2 (he also missed an extra point). Would you come back and tell us that the field goal kicker played well enough for his team to win because he was on the winning team?

I believe some of those games we won IN SPITE OF what the defense did, not BECAUSE of it.