Papuchis: "I was stunned"

Since yardage is more important then the score to some. Why did ASU (417 yrds) lose to Stanford (391 yrds), Maine (379) lose to NW (373), MSU ( 254) lose to ND (220) and San Jose (486) lose to Minn. (424)?

The same people who are concerned with yards are the same people that complained back when Ball State racked up 600 yards and 40+ points against NU and we still won

I remember coaches and players saying "what's the big deal, we won the ballgame" but we all knew those statistics revealed HUGE problems for our defense

It matters

• Fire 2

Since yardage is more important then the score to some. Why did ASU (417 yrds) lose to Stanford (391 yrds), Maine (379) lose to NW (373), MSU ( 254) lose to ND (220) and San Jose (486) lose to Minn. (424)?

The same people who are concerned with yards are the same people that complained back when Ball State racked up 600 yards and 40+ points against NU and we still won

I remember coaches and players saying "what's the big deal, we won the ballgame" but we all knew those statistics revealed HUGE problems for our defense

It matters

Yes, it matters. The point being for the 10 million posts about it.....it's being addressed in more ways than one. It's why we have freshmen and a transfer playing significant time. And Pelini discussed what he's doing in his post game presser. In the regime you are referring to from the Ball State game, it was quickly reflected in the W-L record. I am tenfold more confident in Pelini's ability.

It matters

Yes, it matters. The point being for the 10 million posts about it.....it's being addressed in more ways than one. It's why we have freshmen and a transfer playing significant time. And Pelini discussed what he's doing in his post game presser. In the regime you are referring to from the Ball State game, it was quickly reflected in the W-L record. I am tenfold more confident in Pelini's ability.

I am a results guy......let's see how we measure up at season's end.

It matters

I am a results guy......let's see how we measure up at season's end.

So am I, that's why Im interested in the statistics that will get us the end results we all want

We all saw how ignoring the elephant in the room went last go around- Ball State scoring 40 points and 600+ yards

The yards revealed a lot- even though the coaching staff and players were vocal that it didnt matter

Reality of what? Almost losing to some of the worst teams in FBS? Michigan looked impressive against ND until everyone figured out how overrated that team is, so now that win doesn't look as good. And they have looked like complete ass the last two weeks. If that is good to you, im glad I dont live in your "reality"

Because close games against crappy teams never happen? We have a handful of those.

His argument is Michigan has a better defense bc they give up less YPG. YPG is not the be all, tell all stat. PPG matters way more and we gave up less points than Michigan yesterday.

And then he makes an excuse for them by saying they may have had a lot of turnovers and short fields when the same thing happened to Nebraska last week. Why wasn't he saying the same thing about Nebraska last week that he said about Michigan this week?

seriously? if you are going to quote me and what you said at least keep it to that. don't start derailing. if not quote what stumpy 1 said.

What are you talking about? You quoted me, so I responded to you...isnt that how this works?

Those of you who know me from discussions here on HB, know that I never call out players. Like I always say...they don't make the roster and decide who is starting. These young men are living the dream; playing for the Nebraska Cornhuskers, and I envy them. I will not name names.

That said, there are players out starting (and seeing significant minutes) who just don't seem to be playing very well. It seems like the coaches would notice that there are times, when a few of the starters are on the sidelines, when the defense seems to be more aggressive and get after the ball a little more.

I know that the reason the starter is out on a particular play is situational and that they may not be playing the same base due to down-and-distance blah, blah, blah...I just think there are some of the young guys who are not getting the opportunity to start, who might make our defense a little better. What's the worse that could happen? We give up 400 yards and 200 yards to a FCS running back? Wait, that's what we are doing now.

Let me do it for you.

Thad Randle

Jason Ankrah

• Fire 1

You know, since we are talking about the defense, and JP being "stunned", I just want to say we should have known.

Take a look at the Spring Game video. I am now not convinced that the Husker D "let" Jack Hoffman score on that 65 yard run. Jack did the same thing to this defense that Wyoming, UCLA, and SDSU did. Maybe our defense was trying to tackle Jack and just took bad angles, were out of position, and didn't make the right read.

Well for the ND game you might want to check out the other yards particularly the defensive pass interference yards.

I'm a bit stunned that a veteran NFL defensive coach and the DC of an NCAA national champion would sit by idly while his own hand-picked defensive coordinator destroyed his credibility and chances of future employement.

I was waiting for Pelini to fire Papuchis during the game.... it didn't happen sadly...

I guess the point I was tring to make: how could Papuchis be doing anything not pre-approved by his boss, who was hired as a defensive genius?