Forde-Yard Dash

np_husker

I also agree Urban Meyer is fairly calculated and opportunistic in his moves as head coach. He knew he had talent when he moved to Utah, Florida and OSU.

And how did those teams do with that talent prior to Meyer becoming the Head Coach? Not so great.

It wasnt like he was walking into the Taj of talent at Bowling Green, Utah or even Florida

Even if there was something in the cupboard- how many programs/teams/ coaches have failed with really good recruiting classes?

Mack Brown comes to mind right away, USC, many others

Like him or not (I dont care either way) the guy is an elite coach and has proven it at every stop, 4 stops, 12 years worth.

He is an elite coach I agree, and he is calculating and opportunistic. Which I believe most coaches are of they have the luxury of being that way. if you ever watch the MAC schools closely they are always up and down record wise. Solich has gone 4-8 one year and 9-3 the next. Bowling Green, Miami Ohio, Toledo, Ohio, etc take turns winning that conference. Again not saying he is not a good coach. He parlayed that into a good situation at Utah. He benefited in a couple of ways. He ran a pretty unique offense at the time, and found an almost perfect QB to run it in Alex Smith. You noticed he wasn't staying after smith graduated. Oh and the WAC was not that strong at the time.

You notice he didn't take his dream job at Notre Dame. It was open the same year as the Florida job. I would bet a lot of money that UM wouldn't have gotten back into coaching after one year out if the OSU job wouldn't have been open.

I also agree Urban Meyer is fairly calculated and opportunistic in his moves as head coach. He knew he had talent when he moved to Utah, Florida and OSU.

And how did those teams do with that talent prior to Meyer becoming the Head Coach? Not so great.

It wasnt like he was walking into the Taj of talent at Bowling Green, Utah or even Florida

Even if there was something in the cupboard- how many programs/teams/ coaches have failed with really good recruiting classes?

Like him or not (I dont care either way) the guy is an elite coach and has proven it at every stop, 4 stops, 12 years worth.

He ran a pretty unique offense at the time, and found an almost perfect QB to run it in Alex Smith. You noticed he wasn't staying after smith graduated.

He went undefeated with that offense at Ohio State last year and won 2 National Titles with it at Florida. Seems to have withstood the test of time

When you have a chance to leave Utah for double the money for a BCS- SEC school like Florida, you dont turn it down

83% wins at 4 different schools, 7-1 in Bowl games over 12 years isnt about luck- lightning doesnt strike 4 times in a row

He ran a pretty unique offense at the time, and found an almost perfect QB to run it in Alex Smith. You noticed he wasn't staying after smith graduated.

He went undefeated with that offense at Ohio State last year and won 2 National Titles with it at Florida. Seems to have withstood the test of time

When you have a chance to leave Utah for double the money for a BCS- SEC school like Florida, you dont turn it down

83% wins at 4 different schools, 7-1 in Bowl games over 12 years isnt about luck- lightning doesnt strike 4 times in a row

And had the perfect qb for his offense. Actually if you watch some tape of his Utah teams the offense is quite a bit different from now.

He ran a lot straight option.

And had the perfect qb for his offense. Actually if you watch some tape of his Utah teams the offense is quite a bit different from now.

He ran a lot straight option.

Like any good coach- he adapts to his players strengths and the playbook expands and contracts

You learn some stuff by "accident" by coaching different teams with different mixes of players. SOme of the stuff he runs today was influenced by the fact he had a freak like Tim Tebow at QB- again that's in his book "Urbans Way". He had Percy Harvin- and added some things that took advantage of his skills- jet sweep. The game and playbooks arent totally static

The abillity to teach, prioritize, analyze, problem solve, manage, motivate and lead may be a bit more- especially amoung the great ones.

For a board where many think a QB doesnt have much to do with winning or losing- 1 player shouldnt have been responsible for a dramatic turnaround from a 5 win season to 12-0 season 2 years later chuckleshuffle

Yes Ive watched plenty of his Utah film and seen him speak about his offense

Now with someone like Braxton Milller- and learning from when he had Tebow last year we saw a lot of just straight zone or zone lead runs out of the shotgun with Miller carrying. They also ran some straight runs with Miller using good old fashined counter trey ala Osborne but with Miller keeping it out of the gun. They did run Zone Read like everyone else, but still ran Speed option as well. Im guessing with just a few months of training and NOT having his own kids, what we may see this year may be running more of what he really wants to run. Im guessing they will always be a strong play action team, Meyer always talks about making sure all of his major run plays also have a pass play off of them.

The net is, they were good but werent great on offense last year. they might be this year. I also see a lot of the same stuff he ran back at Bowling Green

BTW we saw some of this type of playcalling early in Becks tenure here- and it worked- the straight power, sweep runs on direct snaps to Martinez. Not sure why we went away from it, either fear of TM fumbling or getting hurt- or both.

The solution isn't luring away a Nick Saban or Urban Meyer and paying a heapin' helpin' of money to a coach with mercenary sensibilities.

It's finding the next Urban Meyer while he's still at Bowling Green, or Jim Harbaugh while he's still at San Diego State, or Chip Kelly while he's still at New Hampshire, or Bob Devaney while he's still at Wyoming and handing them the keys to a much bigger franchise.

Takes a leap of faith, but there's always good young coaching out there. Don't have to be a slave to the half dozen big names that always get thrown around and aren't even available.

Steroids might have been used sparingly during offseasons and such, but that wouldve been more detrimental than anything once you got off them for the season. Outside the possibility of a few isolated instances, there was no steriod use during the 90's. Supplements? Sure. Get the new book by Paul Koch, volume 1. Go straight to the chapter of Boyd Epley and Bryan Baily. Bailey implemented some very innovative supplements and replenishments of the time are still a secret today.

Correct

I was at a clinic once where Boyd talked about kids who during certain training circuits were gaining a pound a day. Couldnt believe what I heard, had him repeat it, yep a pound a day of good mass. Obviously those specific training segments/circuits/movements/reps/weight werent something they could do for 30 days straight, but it was revolutionary at the time.

It was his speed camp wasnt it? I attended that along with the football camp in '01 (june). It was only for a day, but it was so enlightining. My friends/teammates and I took the stuff we learned at that clinic and began applying it to our own offseason training and it was amazing how much more effective it was.

Let me guess what he told you:

Few Lifts

Squats and Power Cleans are about all you need

Low Reps, Higher Weights

Top effort during reps- time to recover

Rest, eating well

Great form- perfect

No distance running

Nothing lasting more than 6 seconds

What is the distance- if I remember right, nothing further than 27 yards?

Last time I heard him was maybe 5 years ago, memory fading

Very sure of himself, fit as ever, knows his stuff- think he's still living in Colorado

He was NOT a fan of how the Cally admin was working the kids out- the need to get their 2 mile time to x etc

I would bet a lot of money that UM wouldn't have gotten back into coaching after one year out if the OSU job wouldn't have been open.

When you are set for life financially, you can be very selective about where you coach

When you can coach where you grew up- near family and when you have kids- that helps make the decision much easier

• Fire 1

Wait. This program autocorrects "sh•tload" into "heapin' helpin'?

Does anyone without the last name Bodean say "heapin' helpin'?

We (HuskerBoard) do that. We can change the potty-mouth words to anything we want.

Much like "BIackout" getting changed to b*******. That's a HuskerBoard thing, not an IP.Board thing.

I would bet a lot of money that UM wouldn't have gotten back into coaching after one year out if the OSU job wouldn't have been open.

When you are set for life financially, you can be very selective about where you coach

When you can coach where you grew up- near family and when you have kids- that helps make the decision much easier

Thats my point. I don't think it being OSU had as much to do with it as it being a great job with easy recruiting etc. If the Texas job would have been open he would have taken it also.

The solution isn't luring away a Nick Saban or Urban Meyer and paying a heapin' helpin' of money to a coach with mercenary sensibilities.

It's finding the next Urban Meyer while he's still at Bowling Green, or Jim Harbaugh while he's still at San Diego State, or Chip Kelly while he's still at New Hampshire, or Bob Devaney while he's still at Wyoming and handing them the keys to a much bigger franchise.

Oh, yes. I definitely agree with this. And heapin' helpin' fits right into your turn of phrase there :lol:

Nebraska can recruit, it just takes the right coaches.

If we hire a new coach, I'd like to stay away from the 'star coordinator' area too. Don't really see the appeal of that anymore. Get a coach that runs a good, clean program with a good staff, and the coordinators will be there.

Steroids might have been used sparingly during offseasons and such, but that wouldve been more detrimental than anything once you got off them for the season. Outside the possibility of a few isolated instances, there was no steriod use during the 90's. Supplements? Sure. Get the new book by Paul Koch, volume 1. Go straight to the chapter of Boyd Epley and Bryan Baily. Bailey implemented some very innovative supplements and replenishments of the time are still a secret today.

Correct

I was at a clinic once where Boyd talked about kids who during certain training circuits were gaining a pound a day. Couldnt believe what I heard, had him repeat it, yep a pound a day of good mass. Obviously those specific training segments/circuits/movements/reps/weight werent something they could do for 30 days straight, but it was revolutionary at the time.

It was his speed camp wasnt it? I attended that along with the football camp in '01 (june). It was only for a day, but it was so enlightining. My friends/teammates and I took the stuff we learned at that clinic and began applying it to our own offseason training and it was amazing how much more effective it was.

Let me guess what he told you:

Few Lifts

Squats and Power Cleans are about all you need

Low Reps, Higher Weights

Top effort during reps- time to recover

Rest, eating well

Great form- perfect

No distance running

Nothing lasting more than 6 seconds

What is the distance- if I remember right, nothing further than 27 yards?

Last time I heard him was maybe 5 years ago, memory fading

Very sure of himself, fit as ever, knows his stuff- think he's still living in Colorado

He was NOT a fan of how the Cally admin was working the kids out- the need to get their 2 mile time to x etc

Pretty much sums it up. My high school Dcoord/pe teacher/S&C coach played his college ball at kansas St. We come back from that camp with the stuff we learned, and jokingly used it to get out of the long distance crap we were doing. It kinda struck a nerve with him though. Cant imagine why :lol:

You're right.

Brian Bailey was a S&C Coach, one of the best apparently, anywhere. In reading Paul Koch's new book, it is astonishing how often his name keeps coming up. It comes up at LEAST as much as Osborne or Solich or anyone really. Seriously, he had THAT big an impact on the players, their work in the conditioning area, and particularly in their rehab work after injuries.

Almost every single interview with players in that book mentions Bailey, very specifically, as having made a huge difference in theor college career, and almost all of those that played pro say that his influence made an impact there, too. Many of the NFL guys came back to him in their offseasons to work, all the way up until when he was let go by the new regime. I think he is still in the game, doing the same for either USC or UCLA? Somewhere in CA anyway.

You're right.

Brian Bailey was a S&C Coach, one of the best apparently, anywhere. In reading Paul Koch's new book, it is astonishing how often his name keeps coming up. It comes up at LEAST as much as Osborne or Solich or anyone really. Seriously, he had THAT big an impact on the players, their work in the conditioning area, and particularly in their rehab work after injuries.

Almost every single interview with players in that book mentions Bailey, very specifically, as having made a huge difference in theor college career, and almost all of those that played pro say that his influence made an impact there, too. Many of the NFL guys came back to him in their offseasons to work, all the way up until when he was let go by the new regime. I think he is still in the game, doing the same for either USC or UCLA? Somewhere in CA anyway.

I'm just now reading the Baily chapter. it talks how when Callahan was brought in how Baily was sent packing back to the Devaney Center so Pedersen could hire one of his "bronies" for that position. Baily instead took the job offered to him by Pete Carroll at USC and went and helped with that dynasty. Coincidence? I think not. AFHusker should read this. Just a microcosm of how much Pedersen and Callahan really did f#*k up. We the ball rolling downhill with Solich? Sure. But Pedersen and Callahan stuck a knife through the heart of an already wounded warrior.

Also Flood, that's why I said Bailey initially, because youre right, his name is mentioned so much. Not one single person so far has failed to mention him in some way.