Forde-Yard Dash

np_husker

If Meyer would have suddenly come down with health problems and "retired" after a 13-1 season, I'd probably feel differently about him. I realize how facing Saban year in and year out could cause health problems, but come on. I have no doubt if Hoke and Michigan begin pounding him on an annual basis that his health problems will crop up once again and he "retires".

What year did he win his first NC? Who recruited those kids?

Really?

Ok

He gets there in 2005 he takes a 7-5 team to 9-3 Nice turnaroud, just like his 2 previous stops.

2006- 13-1- National Champuionship (a combination of HIS kids and someone elses kids, Kids someone else couldnt win with)

2007- 9-4 (someone elses kids were Seniors- do we blame that on bad recruiting by Zook?)

2008- ALL HIS KIDS 13-1 National Championship

2009- ALL HIS KIDS 13-1 almost another National Championship

2010 8-5 one bad season, it happens

Like him or not, his track record says he is one of the elite coaches in College football AND a very good recruiter. Book "Urbans Way" gets into a lot more detail, good stuff. He recruits as well as he coaches, he is crazy competitive when it comes to recruiting.

If Meyer would have suddenly come down with health problems and "retired" after a 13-1 season, I'd probably feel differently about him. I realize how facing Saban year in and year out could cause health problems, but come on. I have no doubt if Hoke and Michigan begin pounding him on an annual basis that his health problems will crop up once again and he "retires".

Have you ever performed at the very top of your field and had financial security while being in a pressure cooker with a very young family?

Taking a sabbatical and changing scenery MANY times is your best bet. It depends on what your goals are for you and your family.

The guy doesnt need to prove anything to anyone, amazing coach.

Slightly off topic, but if Bo did ever leave (for whatever reason) I'd be all for throwing about $4 mill to Fitzgerald..... He is a Nebraska "like" guy.....

I have a problem with poaching coaches from other conference teams. The conference as a whole needs to get better, so I'd rather leave Fitz at NW - just like I'd rather leave Narduzzi at Michigan State.

But if I didn't have that hangup, I'd 100% agree that we outbid Northwestern for Fitzgerald. The man is fantastic. (for the enemy)

Imagine Fitzgerald with Narduzzi, and Nebraska's support and facilities. Yikes.

I can see your point with Fitz, but assistant coaches should be off limits as well? It might ruffle some feathers, but if I'm Nebraska, and the situation arises, I still throw a lot of money Fitzgerald's way....

I have a problem with poaching coaches from other conference teams. The conference as a whole needs to get better, so I'd rather leave Fitz at NW - just like I'd rather leave Narduzzi at Michigan State.

But if I didn't have that hangup, I'd 100% agree that we outbid Northwestern for Fitzgerald. The man is fantastic. (for the enemy)

I can see your point with Fitz, but assistant coaches should be off limits as well? It might ruffle some feathers, but if I'm Nebraska, and the situation arises, I still throw a lot of money Fitzgerald's way....

i agree. i do not think any coach should be off limits. you got to think about your program first. i do not even understand why it is poor form. the university and coach should have autonomy from the conference to do what is best for themselves. the stakes are too high to worry about professional courtesies.

Slightly off topic, but if Bo did ever leave (for whatever reason) I'd be all for throwing about $4 mill to Fitzgerald..... He is a Nebraska "like" guy.....

I think he is a GREAT coach. But leaving your AM to come here and they have very low expectations and on the rise- not sure it makes sense for him.

They are getting improved facilities and have that Stanford of the Midwest thing going on for themselves. Bigger local talent pool too. Northwestern could be a rising star.

i agree. i do not think any coach should be off limits. you got to think about your program first. i do not even understand why it is poor form. the university and coach should have autonomy from the conference to do what is best for themselves. the stakes are too high to worry about professional courtesies.

GvJ21Vm.gif

:sarcasm :sarcasm

GvJ21Vm.gif

:sarcasm :sarcasm

damn-right.gif

I'm a pretty pro-conference guy, so that's probably where that attitude comes from. Believe me, if we ever got Fitzgerald and/or Narduzzi, I wouldn't be complaining. Both are top-notch coaches.

i used to be pro conference. but i am young enough that i do not remember the big 8 all that much and the big 12 was just a collection of convenience. i now feel the same about the B1G (mostly because of the addition of maryland and rutgers). conferences are just to secure money, other than that you are on your own. as always, imo.

• Fire 1

I'm a pretty pro-conference guy, so that's probably where that attitude comes from. Believe me, if we ever got Fitzgerald and/or Narduzzi, I wouldn't be complaining. Both are top-notch coaches.

i used to be pro conference. but i am young enough that i do not remember the big 8 all that much and the big 12 was just a collection of convenience. i now feel the same about the B1G (mostly because of the addition of maryland and rutgers). conferences are just to secure money, other than that you are on your own. as always, imo.

The additions of Rutgers and Maryland disgust me....

• Fire 1

Someone can correct me if wrong. Starters from Nebraska

5 offensive starters in 93-94. 3 OL, 1 RB, and 1 FB --- 3 defensive starters. 1 LB, 2 DL

5 offensive starters in 94-95. 3 OL, 1 FB, 1 WB ---3 defensive starters. 1 DL, 1 LB, 1 S

8 offensive starters in 97-98. 3 OL, 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 FB, 2 WR --- 1 defensive starter. 1 DL

5 offensive starters in 13-14. 4 OL, 1 TE --- 1 defensive starter. 1 LB

I don't beleive we are getting the quite the quality anymore out of Nebraska, but the numbers aren't too far off. I just remember us getting a lot of East coast kids that I don't see as much anymore.

That's true, but being pro-conference (to my way of thinking) is just an extension of being a Husker fan. Unless we become Boise State and trounce everyone all the time we're not going to do very well nationally in a bad conference. Even if we win all our games our accomplishment won't mean much. It always seems better to me to be the best team in a good conference.

Of course, we have much work to do to clean up our own house/problems before we worry about the conference. Right now we're dragging the conference down, not contributing to its greatness.