Forde-Yard Dash

np_husker

Steroids might have been used sparingly during offseasons and such, but that wouldve been more detrimental than anything once you got off them for the season. Outside the possibility of a few isolated instances, there was no steriod use during the 90's. Supplements? Sure. Get the new book by Paul Koch, volume 1. Go straight to the chapter of Boyd Epley and Bryan Baily. Bailey implemented some very innovative supplements and replenishments of the time are still a secret today.

Correct

I was at a clinic once where Boyd talked about kids who during certain training circuits were gaining a pound a day. Couldnt believe what I heard, had him repeat it, yep a pound a day of good mass. Obviously those specific training segments/circuits/movements/reps/weight werent something they could do for 30 days straight, but it was revolutionary at the time.

It was his speed camp wasnt it? I attended that along with the football camp in '01 (june). It was only for a day, but it was so enlightining. My friends/teammates and I took the stuff we learned at that clinic and began applying it to our own offseason training and it was amazing how much more effective it was.

Steroids might have been used sparingly during offseasons and such, but that wouldve been more detrimental than anything once you got off them for the season. Outside the possibility of a few isolated instances, there was no steriod use during the 90's. Supplements? Sure. Get the new book by Paul Koch, volume 1. Go straight to the chapter of Boyd Epley and Bryan Baily. Bailey implemented some very innovative supplements and replenishments of the time are still a secret today.

Correct

I was at a clinic once where Boyd talked about kids who during certain training circuits were gaining a pound a day. Couldnt believe what I heard, had him repeat it, yep a pound a day of good mass. Obviously those specific training segments/circuits/movements/reps/weight werent something they could do for 30 days straight, but it was revolutionary at the time.

It was his speed camp wasnt it? I attended that along with the football camp in '01 (june). It was only for a day, but it was so enlightining. My friends/teammates and I took the stuff we learned at that clinic and began applying it to our own offseason training and it was amazing how much more effective it was.

No

Coaches clinic out of state

With the team struggling this year, national pundits are tripping over their feet and running into each other in a mad rush to throw dirt on the Huskers and discount the 1990s to the point where any achievements from that era are either unimportant footnotes on history or a major anomolly that is certain never to be repeated.

This isn't a new thing, it's been happening since Osborne retired.

My take on Urban Meyer is that he makes very calculated moves. When he went to the SEC, it was down. Saban was gone onto the NFL. The boiling pot got too hot for him to handle with Saban at Bama and Miles building a strong program at LSU. He moves onto the next conference that is down. Give him a season or two like his last at Florida, and we'll see how long he lasts in the B1G. I don't think Meyer has the stomach to play second fiddle to another coach or team within a conference. Basically what I'm saying is that there's not a chance he'd take a job like Nebraska.

. I might even be giving Meyer too much credit as he's only gone on to programs that were a recruiting hotbed.

Urban was successful at Bowling Green and Utah, not considered by many to be successful progams or in recruting hot beds. The guy, like him or not is a great coach.

I for one am happy he is in the B1G

Um ... Bowling Green is in Ohio. The school might not be a target for top recruits but there are still quite a few to choose from for a school of that level.

Again like him or not (not calling it hate) facts are facts

Lightning has struck at every place he's been

Took Bowling Green from 2-9 to 9-3 in 2 years and over 200+ point differential improvement

Took Utah from 5-6 to 12-0 and a 300+ point differential improvement

Good players werent standing in line to go to either school

Took over a floundering Ron Zook 7-5 Florida program into 2 time National Champions

Took over an Ohio State program wrapped in controversy and went undefeated in year 1 with very few pieces of what he wants in the puzzle assembled

Give the fella his due

Im not a huge fan, but the results are there at all 4 stops, that isnt luck

He can flat out coach, the real deal by any standard

As a professional- I dont like staying at any job more than 5-7 years- its called boredom, challenge, growth

Took Bowling Green from 2-9 to 9-3 in 2 years and over 200+ point differential improvement

Took over a floundering Ron Zook 7-5 Florida program into 2 time National Champions

Took over an Ohio State program wrapped in controversy and went undefeated in year 1 with very few pieces of what he wants in the puzzle assembled

Give the fella his due

As a professional- I dont like staying at any job more than 5-7 years- its called boredom, challenge, growth

Zook left the cupboard stacked. It was when he got down to his own recruits when things went downhill. The cupboard was stacked at Ohio State before Meyer. He's a good coach, but he's very selective in where he'd coach. Nebraska doesn't fit the bill. Meyer is looking for a job at a place like USC or Texas.

Give the fella his due

Zook left the cupboard stacked. It was when he got down to his own recruits when things went downhill. The cupboard was stacked at Ohio State before Meyer. He's a good coach, but he's very selective in where he'd coach. Nebraska doesn't fit the bill. Meyer is looking for a job at a place like USC or Texas.

Slightly off topic, but if Bo did ever leave (for whatever reason) I'd be all for throwing about $4 mill to Fitzgerald..... He is a Nebraska "like" guy.....

Give the fella his due

Zook left the cupboard stacked. It was when he got down to his own recruits when things went downhill.

Interesting;

Urban recruited Tim Tebow personally

Year 4 Florida- Urban was 13-1- won National Championship

Year 5 Florida- Urban was 13-1

Were those Zooks recruits in years 4 and 5 under Urban or were they just kids who were enamored with all of Zooks 7-5 seasons?

Slightly off topic, but if Bo did ever leave (for whatever reason) I'd be all for throwing about $4 mill to Fitzgerald..... He is a Nebraska "like" guy.....

I have a problem with poaching coaches from other conference teams. The conference as a whole needs to get better, so I'd rather leave Fitz at NW - just like I'd rather leave Narduzzi at Michigan State.

But if I didn't have that hangup, I'd 100% agree that we outbid Northwestern for Fitzgerald. The man is fantastic. (for the enemy)

Imagine Fitzgerald with Narduzzi, and Nebraska's support and facilities. Yikes.

Why would Meyer leave OSU? Its not like they can't pay him anything those other schools would offer.

He's an Ashtabula Ohio native, seen his boyhood home. Small place right near Lake Erie. Neat little Midwestern old time working class town. Buddy of mine I was doing some work for there drove me by on our way to dinner.

That's where he's from. Of course he's not coming here, but not likely for the reasons you think.

But would Pat Fitzgerald put in the necessary time and effort into a program other than his alma mater? There's probably a lot of pride drive for him at NW right now.

Now, tapping into my inner neggy, sometimes I really wonder if Bo is fully invested emotionally as opposed to just being here for a paycheck. Sure there are numerous sources of motivation, but pride is probably the most effective. I'm think Fitz has that push at NW that is probably pretty unparallelled.