Forde-Yard Dash

np_husker

That's true, but being pro-conference (to my way of thinking) is just an extension of being a Husker fan. Unless we become Boise State and trounce everyone all the time we're not going to do very well nationally in a bad conference. Even if we win all our games our accomplishment won't mean much. It always seems better to me to be the best team in a good conference.

Of course, we have much work to do to clean up our own house/problems before we worry about the conference. Right now we're dragging the conference down, not contributing to its greatness.

i agree. to be the best, you have to beat the best. but i just do not see the B1G producing the best in the meantime. and the sec has a pretty tight clench on their perception of being head and shoulders above everyone. so, we might as well become the best in a mediocre conference, rather than just mediocre. and frankly, osu could make it to the mnc and have a puncher's chance just because of the way schedules are set up.

i just want us to win, anymore. and i have very little faith that the B1G will step up and become an elite conference. at least anytime soon.

That's true, but being pro-conference (to my way of thinking) is just an extension of being a Husker fan. Unless we become Boise State and trounce everyone all the time we're not going to do very well nationally in a bad conference. Even if we win all our games our accomplishment won't mean much. It always seems better to me to be the best team in a good conference.

Of course, we have much work to do to clean up our own house/problems before we worry about the conference. Right now we're dragging the conference down, not contributing to its greatness.

i agree. to be the best, you have to beat the best. but i just do not see the B1G producing the best in the meantime. and the sec has a pretty tight clench on their perception of being head and shoulders above everyone. so, we might as well become the best in a mediocre conference, rather than just mediocre. and frankly, osu could make it to the mnc and have a puncher's chance just because of the way schedules are set up.

i just want us to win, anymore. and i have very little faith that the B1G will step up and become an elite conference. at least anytime soon.

In order for the B1G to compete with the SEC, each team (or most of them) will have to have elite coaching. That just isn't the case right now, including Nebraska....

If Meyer would have suddenly come down with health problems and "retired" after a 13-1 season, I'd probably feel differently about him. I realize how facing Saban year in and year out could cause health problems, but come on. I have no doubt if Hoke and Michigan begin pounding him on an annual basis that his health problems will crop up once again and he "retires".

13-1? Try 8-5. 4-4 in the SEC. Blowout losses to Bama, South Car, and florida St. That's what makes his running off even more funny, is that it happened AFTER he started to have obvious struggles. Frankly, had he done it the year before after going 13-1 in back to back seasons, NO ONE would be questioning it. But doing it when he did suggests he was just running away from the troubles and challenges of being on top.

I get we don't have the elite coaches, but don't you think that has more to do with the differences between what players can be recruited to the SEC versus the players that can be recruited into the B1G? If I'm an elite coach, I'm going to the conference where I can recruit some players that I can't in another conference. Lou Holtz had a lot more success at Notre Dame when they relaxed their standards than when they put those standards back in place. Coincidentally, he left. In the SEC, coaches can pretty much recruit anybody they want. In other conferences, coaches actually have to worry about whether those players will qualify.

If Meyer would have suddenly come down with health problems and "retired" after a 13-1 season, I'd probably feel differently about him. I realize how facing Saban year in and year out could cause health problems, but come on. I have no doubt if Hoke and Michigan begin pounding him on an annual basis that his health problems will crop up once again and he "retires".

13-1? Try 8-5. 4-4 in the SEC. Blowout losses to Bama, South Car, and florida St. That's what makes his running off even more funny, is that it happened AFTER he started to have obvious struggles. Frankly, had he done it the year before after going 13-1 in back to back seasons, NO ONE would be questioning it. But doing it when he did suggests he was just running away from the troubles and challenges of being on top.

Um, we're saying the exact same thing. I'm simply refuting jmfb claiming he's the best thing since sliced bread. Meyer is a good coach. However, I'd say he's more of an opportunistic coach than elite coach. I see him as getting out of Florida because he didn't think he could compete with Saban.

I get we don't have the elite coaches, but don't you think that has more to do with the differences between what players can be recruited to the SEC versus the players that can be recruited into the B1G? If I'm an elite coach, I'm going to the conference where I can recruit some players that I can't in another conference. Lou Holtz had a lot more success at Notre Dame when they relaxed their standards than when they put those standards back in place. Coincidentally, he left. In the SEC, coaches can pretty much recruit anybody they want. In other conferences, coaches actually have to worry about whether those players will qualify.

That's usually true. But not always.

60600-stanford-football60600-stanford-football.jpg

Um, we're saying the exact same thing. I'm simply refuting jmfb claiming he's the best thing since sliced bread. Meyer is a good coach. However, I'd say he's more of an opportunistic coach than elite coach. I see him as getting out of Florida because he didn't think he could compete with Saban.

damn myself. Youre right. I had to read it again. My apologies.

Hoke's Michigan isnt gonna be the one to get it done. If anything, Hoke's gonna be Michigan's version of the Pelini we're experiencing now. They gained a lot of hype that first year by backing into a BCS bowl, barely beating an overmatched ACC team and have been every bit of unimpressive since. Hoke and Michigan have a ton of work to do before they turn my head. Wisconsin right now is in a higher class than Michigan in the Big 10 pecking order. As of right now, I rank it...

Ohio St

Wisconsin

Michigan/Nebraska as equals-

Then the Mich St/Penn St/Northwestern bunch.

However, I'd say he's more of an opportunistic coach than elite coach.

Not elite? OK

120-23

2 Undefeated seasons with 2 different teams

Turn arounds in first year of every team he's coached, 2 werent football powers- Bowling Green and Utah-

7-1 in Bowl Games

2 National Championships

Highest winning % amoung DI coaches who have coached more than 100 games 83%

TO type numbers but he's only coached 1/2 the amt of time.

All in 12 years of coaching- 4 different schools

If that isnt elite, not sure which 7-8 coaches have done better than that.

Im all for having a league with some great coaches in it, no matter who they are.

Stanford's entrance requirements are lower for athletes than the general student population. They still take smart kids, but they are not all rocket surgeons. :lol:

If Shaw stays then I think they may sustain things, if he jumps to the NFL, who knows.

I also agree Urban Meyer is fairly calculated and opportunistic in his moves as head coach. He knew he had talent when he moved to Utah, Florida and OSU.

• Fire 1

That's usually true. But not always.

60600-stanford-football60600-stanford-football.jpg

Harbaugh is a great coach. Shaw has done well his first two years. Solich finished #2 in the country his second year. Just sayin....

• Fire 1

I also agree Urban Meyer is fairly calculated and opportunistic in his moves as head coach. He knew he had talent when he moved to Utah, Florida and OSU.

And how did those teams do with that talent prior to Meyer becoming the Head Coach? Not so great.

It wasnt like he was walking into the Taj of talent at Bowling Green, Utah or even Florida

Even if there was something in the cupboard- how many programs/teams/ coaches have failed with really good recruiting classes?

Mack Brown comes to mind right away, USC, many others

Like him or not (I dont care either way) the guy is an elite coach and has proven it at every stop, 4 stops, 12 years worth.