Illinois

I don't like patty cake whether its a called patty cake or not.

I like aggressive defense not bend don't break. Fuxk bend don't break, I like break yo neck defense.

I don't believe you'll see our DTs "attack" against Illinois very much. With the way that they run screen passes I'll bet we hang our DTs back to guard against these. I feel blitzing and "attacking" are the worst things you can honestly do against a screen pass. We'd see Suh drop back into coverage a bit when he read screen.

Suh is the best DT Ive ever seen for reading screen and Ive seen a bunch

As soon as he feels he's being let go, he turns his head and sprints upfield, uncanny the way he sniffs it out

He also does a great job of getting his hands up and obstructing clean passing lanes on drop back passes when he's double teamed or has poor angle/leverage to the QB

He was developed and left as a complete player here- wish we could duplicate some of that development success (he was a freak I get that) in some of the other kids we have at DT

What's weird is how many different ways we allow a lot of yards on defense. A RB getting nearly 200 yards by halftime. The UCLA QB standing tall in the pocket and finding open receivers. The WYO QB that ran a 45 yard draw/sneak up the middle, his scrambling, his quick 8-10 yard passes in the middle of the field. And most teams like passes to the flats. I don't think we give up the deep ball which is nice, but everything underneath has a pretty good success rate for our opponents. Whether they run it or throw it. I just hope this defensive strategy and the play on the field improves.

I'd like for us to be less "keep everything in front of you" and more aggressive in the secondary. Press coverage, jam them off the line, be physical.

Also, I didn't see anyone bitching about Bo's scheme from 2002-2011ish. Does it need tweaks? Yup. Should we change our whole scheme? Nope.

I don't like patty cake whether its a called patty cake or not.

I like aggressive defense not bend don't break. Fuxk bend don't break, I like break yo neck defense.

I don't believe you'll see our DTs "attack" against Illinois very much. With the way that they run screen passes I'll bet we hang our DTs back to guard against these. I feel blitzing and "attacking" are the worst things you can honestly do against a screen pass. We'd see Suh drop back into coverage a bit when he read screen.

Which I believe is part of the issue. Our DL doesn't know when to turn it loose and when to realize they are being played. I bet if our DL read and diagnosed plays better/quicker, we'd see a more aggressive OL.

Suh is the best DT Ive ever seen for reading screen and Ive seen a bunch

As soon as he feels he's being let go, he turns his head and sprints upfield, uncanny the way he sniffs it out

He also does a great job of getting his hands up and obstructing clean passing lanes on drop back passes when he's double teamed or has poor angle/leverage to the QB

He was developed and left as a complete player here- wish we could duplicate some of that development success (he was a freak I get that) in some of the other kids we have at DT

Suh used the offensive line's hints and clues better than anyone to determine how he approached the play.

(See what I did there anyone?)

Washington brought quite a bit of pressure against Illinois. Looked like it worked for them quite a bit.

Honestly, watching that fifteen minute YouTube video of highlights of Illinois - Washington I can tell you now, if we give that Scheelhase all day to find an opening, he will find it. Or he will take off and burn us with his legs. Weve seen that before here havent we? Washington played very aggressively, much different from us.

I think after watching this video, we are in real danger of losing this game. Our offense better be able to keep up.

Washington brought quite a bit of pressure against Illinois. Looked like it worked for them quite a bit.

Honestly, watching that fifteen minute YouTube video of highlights of Illinois - Washington I can tell you now, if we give that Scheelhase all day to find an opening, he will find it. Or he will take off and burn us with his legs. Weve seen that before here havent we? Washington played very aggressively, much different from us.

I think after watching this video, we are in real danger of losing this game. Our offense better be able to keep up.

I see us being able to get pressure with our ends though much like we did against UCLA (for a half!!!!!!). Avery and Gregory off of the edges please.

If I am Bo I don't give the Illini's WRs much respect until they earn it. Meaning not go much two-high safety play.

I wonder if this parallel exists:

We give up 500 yards of defense, but we play a more aggressive defense. People still hate Bo's scheme? More than likely. Why? Because it's a result oriented business. Bo's scheme was brilliant in 2009 and 2010 but not so much in 2011 or 2012. The scheme didn't change, but the results did.

Purporting playing a more aggressive style of defense as the right answer isn't necessarily the right answer. Because we are doing something wrong, doing the exact opposite of that thing isn't automatically correct.

Should some adjustments be made? Definitely. Is going full opposite the right adjustment to make? No clue. I'd like to see it, but I don't want the complaining if we give up 500 yards that the "scheme doesn't work."

• Fire 2

Observations from the Illinois/Huskies game:

WA got good pressure with their front 4, NU wont be able to count on that

WA gouged IL with basic zone runs. At one point it looked like they ran 8-9 in a row, IL looked helpless to stop it

IL wasnt good in their base defense and guesses wrong a lot when they did bring pressure. Sarkesian made them pay, he's a good offensive mind

IL looked to have the deep pass covered well, WA made some plays

IL looked to allow WA the short stuff fairly uncontested

IL's defense didnt look very good

IL's offense could really pose some problems, the QB has great lateral speed and throws a nice ball when he has a little room

It's a real crapshoot predicting what this team does, but one would expect a shootout

I see us being able to get pressure with our ends though much like we did against UCLA (for a half!!!!!!). Avery and Gregory off of the edges please.

If I am Bo I don't give the Illini's WRs much respect until they earn it. Meaning not go much two-high safety play.

The way we handle them with our secondary could make or break this game. It looked like they did a lot of interesting things with their WR's. Not sure if they will do it again but if we play fearful and give them too much space. They will burn us up no doubt. If we play safe and wait for scheelhase to make a mistake, I'm not sure he will oblige us.

So far the NU pass defense (secondary) has been a huge disappointment. It was supposed to be the strength of the team. The man-to-man coverage isn't working and the NU D-line hasn't put consistant pressure on the QB.

Illinois stats indicate they do NOT have a viable rushing attack, but they are very good at passing. It seems to me that the key to this game is our pass defense. Will it come alive & live up to the pre-season hype? I sure hope so.

GBR

http://sports.omaha....tops-mlb-chart/

"Nebraska coach Bo Pelini told reporters Thursday that Armstrong, a redshirt freshman, would start at quarterback against Illinois and fifth-year senior Ron Kellogg III would be his backup. Expect both quarterbacks to play, Pelini said.

Four-year starter Taylor Martinez, still suffering from a left turf toe injury, will sit out."

Clear skies are here again! I wish they would just let Tommy have the game and quit with the two quarterback switching.

You're hosting a program that currently owns a 14 game B1G losing streak. Don't be surprised if the Illinois Football that I've spent 40 years following shows up tomorrow. I'm expecting Tommy Armstrong to look like a Heisman finalist and the Husker D to force about 6 TO's. I hope I'm wrong, but it seldom happens. Wished I could attend. Go Illini.

The Colorado game was a rivalry for me. Thanksgiving weekend, love the atmosphere, always nationally televised, and hated, hated, hated the Buffs. Plus, we had a lot of good ones in the 90s and 00s. I miss that game.

and OU game (Big8). Unfortunately, OU/NU rivalry faded a long time ago. Ancient history. Today, most OU fans said Nebraska was another team like Utah, Syracuse, Northwestern, Rutgers, etc. Way too late to scheduled 2021/22.