Bum Phillips

Has passed away, age 90.

Some of my favorite NFL Films segments growing up were always the coaches' blooper reels, and he always seemed to be pretty heavily featured in those.

"That's three holding penalties on one football team in a quarter and a half..... (pause)...... it ain't funny!".

"You cain't do that! If you do that, I'm telling you you'll have more hell over it than a little bit."

"There's two kinds of coaches, them that's fired and them that's gonna be fired."

He reminds me a whole bunch of my grandfather, who lived in Texas for a long time and had a similar drawl (and even looked quite a bit like him).

From what I remember of those Oilers teams, they were a lot of fun to watch, and could have made a legitimate claim of being the second best team in the NFL a couple of years on account of those pesky Steelers.

Has passed away, age 90.

Some of my favorite NFL Films segments growing up were always the coaches' blooper reels, and he always seemed to be pretty heavily featured in those.

"That's three holding penalties on one football team in a quarter and a half..... (pause)...... it ain't funny!".

"You cain't do that! If you do that, I'm telling you you'll have more hell over it than a little bit."

"There's two kinds of coaches, them that's fired and them that's gonna be fired."

He reminds me a whole bunch of my grandfather, who lived in Texas for a long time and had a similar drawl (and even looked quite a bit like him).

From what I remember of those Oilers teams, they were a lot of fun to watch, and could have made a legitimate claim of being the second best team in the NFL a couple of years on account of those pesky Steelers.

R.I.P. Bum...