NU football coaching...Colorado Avalanche Hockey...I'm going somewhere with this

Foppa

There are not enough people hanging from the NU coaching tree to make this work. I see zero qualified former players to be head coaches anywhere near a place like Nebraska. Frost is the closest and he isn't anywhere near qualified.

I think Frost would be fine here. He has better qualifications than people think... He has pretty good experience on both sides of the ball. He was also raised by a family of coaches.

Obviously he won a NC as a starting QB with us, so he knows how our championship teams operated. His collegiate accomplishments will also command the respect of his players. Then he played 7 years in the NFL on defense and ST. After which apparently his leadership skills were noticeable that Mike Tomlin and Raheem Morris encouraged him to get into coaching.

Here is his coaching career:

2002 - Nebraska (GA)

2006 - Kansas St. (GA)

2007 -N. Iowa (LB)

2008 - N. Iowa (Co-DC)

2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 - Oregon (WR)

2013-present - Oregon (OC) (QB)

Furthermore, here are some of the great names he has worked under:

Tom Osborne

Bille Walsh

Bill Parcells

Jon Gruden

Mike Tomlin

Chip Kelly

• Fire 2

There are not enough people hanging from the NU coaching tree to make this work. I see zero qualified former players to be head coaches anywhere near a place like Nebraska. Frost is the closest and he isn't anywhere near qualified.

I think Frost would be fine here. He has better qualifications than people think... He has pretty good experience on both sides of the ball. He was also raised by a family of coaches.

Obviously he won a NC as a starting QB with us, so he knows how our championship teams operated. His collegiate accomplishments will also command the respect of his players. Then he played 7 years in the NFL on defense and ST. After which apparently his leadership skills were noticeable that Mike Tomlin and Raheem Morris encouraged him to get into coaching.

2002 - Nebraska (GA)

2006 - Kansas St. (GA)

2007 -N. Iowa (LB)

2008 - N. Iowa (Co-DC)

Tom Osborne

Bille Walsh

Bill Parcells

Jon Gruden

Mike Tomlin

Chip Kelly

If you cover up the name on Scott Frost's resume, does it jump out at you as a guy who would be a good hire for a place like Nebraska? To me, absolutely not.

2002 - Nebraska (GA)

2006 - Kansas St. (GA)

2007 -N. Iowa (LB)

2008 - N. Iowa (Co-DC)

Tom Osborne

Bille Walsh

Bill Parcells

Jon Gruden

Mike Tomlin

Chip Kelly

If you cover up the name on Scott Frost's resume, does it jump out at you as a guy who would be a good hire for a place like Nebraska? To me, absolutely not.

Scott Frost's resume looks very similar to Kliff Kingsbury's at Pat Fitzgerald's before they were HCs.

Here is Fitz's resume before he became their head coach:

1998 - Maryland (LB)

1999 - Colorado (LB)

2000 - Idaho (LB)

2001–2005 - Northwestern (LB)

2006–present - Northwestern (HC)

Here's Kliff's:

2008–2009 - Houston (assistant)

2010–2011 - Houston (co-OC/QB)

2012 - Texas A&M (OC/QB)

2013–present - Texas Tech (HC)

I don't think it's as big of a deal as you all are making it. Ultimately, we want someone with all the right qualities to be a successful HC here. I think Frost has those. He knows the program, can recruit, is loved by his players, shows passion and yet control.

I don't get it. A lot if not most of you want to hire a proven head coach with head coaching experience, because Pelini didn't have head coaching experience prior to Nebraska. Yet, Pelini still won at least 9 games of the 5 years he's been here at Nebraska.

Is Pelini still not a proven head coach? 5 years, at least 9 wins. Hmmm.

It's like you think if we hired some coach who's been a head coach before, been around the block, been to a super bowl that he'd spectacularly take Nebraska to BCS games.

89750005_display_image.jpg?1288312618

I don't believe that prior head coaching experience is as big of a deal as it's made out to be. In fact, it's stupid criteria.

Oftentimes there's a huge overreaction to go get a guy that's in some way perceived as the antithesis of the guy that just failed. I get it from a PR standpoint, but honestly that's a pretty dumb way to go about a coaching search.

A coach should be hired based on his own abilities and potential. There's always going to be some amount of risk involved.

Oftentimes there's a huge overreaction to go get a guy that's in some way perceived as the antithesis of the guy that just failed. I get it from a PR standpoint, but honestly that's a pretty dumb way to go about a coaching search.

A coach should be hired based on his own abilities and potential. There's always going to be some amount of risk involved.

Selecting a head coach is basically a coin flip. That being said if a change is made it better be very calculated.

Hockey analogies! Great. And as a Detroit Red Wings fan, I can easily see the parallels with Nebraska.

The Red Wings are one of the most storied franchises in sports, like the Huskers. They wear red, like the Huskers. Like Tom Osborne in College Football, Scotty Bowman was arguably the greatest coach in the history of the game, and certainly in the conversation for Top 5 even with the most conservative appraisal of his work. Like Osborne, Bowman retired a few years too early, and left the Red Wings stuck with a legacy coach named Dave Lewis (Frank Solich). The team continued winning, but the level of play dropped and Lewis was fired after some embarrassing early playoff exits (Bill Callahan). They then hired Mike Babcock (Bo Pelini) to restore the order, and he has...kind of. But for the most part, Babcock's Wings have not been close to the level they were under Bowman, and they've become a perrenial also-ran: an automatic playoff participant (9 wins and a bowl game) and a hard night's work for any opponent, but not a serious title threat.

Amazing, isn't it? Almost completely identical stories. The only thing missing is a controversial game where Red Wing fans were asked to wear black instead of red to Joe Louis Arena, but I'm sure some Hollywood producer could work it in somehow and just add a "based on a true story" disclaimer whenever this is inevitably made into a movie.

• Fire 1