Interview with Bo this morning

Pelini responded, “Good. Really good. We’re exactly in the same spot we were a year ago. Don’t like it, but we were here a year ago and we ended up taking care of our business. It’s what we do going forward. We’re in control of our own destiny over the next five weeks. Our guys understand that.”

I don't know about you, but this sentence gets me. Do we need to lose 2 games every year to start taking care of business? I am tired of looking like crap, lose and then have the come back in history. If they understand this, then what happened to that knowledge during the off season? (And yes I know we have some young'ns on the defense).

Pelini responded, “Good. Really good. We’re exactly in the same spot we were a year ago. Don’t like it, but we were here a year ago and we ended up taking care of our business..."

I think that's a really telling statement. How in any way did we end up taking care of business a year ago? We got outplayed and embarassed in the CCG on national television (again). Where's the fighting instinct? This mentality can only bleed into the players' outlook. Shouldn't winning the CCG be the only way we took care of business?

He is talking about winning out in the regular season and making it to the championship game. That was the goal last year, and part of the goal this year. The other half of the goal this year and actually winning the championship game.

I miss angry Bo. Screw what the rest of the nation thinks, I want the hopping mad pissed Bo that gets in his players' grill and gets them fired up.

I have said it the past two years. Bo, after A&M is a different coach and the team, IMO, has suffered for it. I like angry Bo. Angry Bo got results. PC Bo, not so much.

I didn't and wouldn't mind angry Bo but, angry Bo would look pretty bad if the team still performed poorly. The last thing I want to see is him screaming at other people for his failures as a coach. We get enough of that in the post game pressers. Put a decent product on the field and act how you want. Without the proof on the field, it's just salt in the wound. If these players believed in Bo as much as some claim they do, I think we would be seeing a much higher level of effort. Leads me to believe that his style isn't clicking with the players.

Not clicking with the players. I've spoke about this in another thread that sometimes I wonder if during the week, and even gameday, Bo is perceived as too much of a freind/father figure and not a coach. And that the rest of the staff follows the same suit, and there's simply not enough demanding peer leadership on the team to over come it. Just seem like the team just plays too "nicey-nice" with no real killer instinct.

Didn't TO receive the same criticism?

I think Bo is still fiery in practice and in the locker room.

I think his players respect him and want to play well for him.

But I think he makes them nervous. I think this team is afraid to screw up, so they play too tight and screw up even worse. His coaching staff is probably nervous, too.

And because Bo has too much pride, he resists making adjustment or admitting personnel mistakes.

So everyone wants to make Bo happy, but no one wants to tell him that what he's doing isn't working.

I don't think he's too nicey-nice. He's still Angry Dad.

I miss angry Bo. Screw what the rest of the nation thinks, I want the hopping mad pissed Bo that gets in his players' grill and gets them fired up.
I have said it the past two years. Bo, after A&M is a different coach and the team, IMO, has suffered for it. I like angry Bo. Angry Bo got results. PC Bo, not so much.
I didn't and wouldn't mind angry Bo but, angry Bo would look pretty bad if the team still performed poorly. The last thing I want to see is him screaming at other people for his failures as a coach. We get enough of that in the post game pressers. Put a decent product on the field and act how you want. Without the proof on the field, it's just salt in the wound. If these players believed in Bo as much as some claim they do, I think we would be seeing a much higher level of effort. Leads me to believe that his style isn't clicking with the players.
Not clicking with the players. I've spoke about this in another thread that sometimes I wonder if during the week, and even gameday, Bo is perceived as too much of a freind/father figure and not a coach. And that the rest of the staff follows the same suit, and there's simply not enough demanding peer leadership on the team to over come it. Just seem like the team just plays too "nicey-nice" with no real killer instinct.
Didn't TO receive the same criticism?

Maybe so. But I also recall this being brought up when I've mentioned this before and I think it's becuase TO had numerous complete animals working under him as well. McBrides, Darlingtons, Steeles, Tenopirs, and so on. Them guys would absolutely grill your ass. I attended a camp under Solich, and with all do respect, Craig Bohl, George Darlington, and Milt Tenopir, when pushed, would come off as complete f'ing a$$hole$. And it worked. I honestly dont think this staff has that guy, outside of Bo, who anymore, seems too dialed back to do it. It just doesnt appear the staff is emotionally demanding enough, if that's even the proper way of wording it.

I think Bo is still fiery in practice and in the locker room.

I think his players respect him and want to play well for him.

But I think he makes them nervous. I think this team is afraid to screw up, so they play too tight and screw up even worse. His coaching staff is probably nervous, too.

And because Bo has too much pride, he resists making adjustment or admitting personnel mistakes.

So everyone wants to make Bo happy, but no one wants to tell him that what he's doing isn't working.

I don't think he's too nicey-nice. He's still Angry Dad.

This.

When Pelini has the talent, he can coach that talent to a championship level.

Well if you have championship level talent, it sure makes the coaching profession a lot easier.

Now in his sixth season, you would have to put finding, recruiting and motivating talent on Bo Pelini's job description. His teams do not look like they belong in the Top 25, and appear literally out of their league in the Top 10. And that's with the keys to the University of Nebraska franchise in his pocket, which should count for something.

You shouldn't be able to watch the assistant coach at Minnesota showing you how he plans to exploit the Nebraska defense a week before the game. Then watch Minnesota do exactly what he said they would do.

If that's about a lack of defensive talent, it means the 100% Pelini Class of recruits is operating at dangerously low levels. I'm not sure they could hang in the Mountain West.

Or maybe it's just that Bo Pelini isn't allowed to get as angry any more.

Tough call.

Recruiting is very important. And yes, I'll say it as many times as necessary I guess......Pelini's recruiting was not good his first 3-4 years and it's hurt us. Changing leagues didn't help with the LB spot specifically, but this group of young LBs seem solid. But they will (and are) make mistakes. I can say unequivocally that recruiting has been a top focus of this staff for the past two seasons. It's been an emphasis.....so yes, it's basically in the job description. That Minnesota video is being exaggerated a little bit for what it was.....but yes, they clearly beat us in one on one matchups all over the field....offensively and defensively. In that game, our LBs had opportunities to make TFL and didn't get it done. Barrett Ruud and Jay Foreman (who both might know a little about the LB position) wrote articles about it which I linked in another thread. Our recruiting was not good, and now that it's improved we need experience. And yes, it's on Pelini. But time to start over with a new coach? I wouldn't, but it's not my decision.

so, it's ok that it took Pelini 2-3 seasons to figure out he needs to recruit?........isn't that the same reason why Solich got run off?

Case in point, earlier this season, I can't remember the game, but Afalava had a couple really bad plays, just awful, and Bo kinda returned to his real personality and chewed him out big time on the sidelines. Next couple plays, Afalava was lighting people up, made a couple great plays, looked terrific!

You....are on fire on this thread. :thumbs

It has become obvious the real problem is the rest of college football is so doped up they might as well all have third testicles. But our program is run cleanly and it puts us at a severe disadvantage.

Oh gawd, here we go again. It's so f'd up hearing about how the 'greatest fans in football' are willing to toss away any sense of morality if it means more wins.

It has become obvious the real problem is the rest of college football is so doped up they might as well all have third testicles. But our program is run cleanly and it puts us at a severe disadvantage.

Oh gawd, here we go again. It's so f'd up hearing about how the 'greatest fans in football' are willing to toss away any sense of morality if it means more wins.

It was a joke. I really didn't think anyone would take that post seriously. C'mon man!