Questions for Michigan

Redux

I think the biggest question of the game is who do we put on Devin Funchess? The guy is a beast and I don't see who we put on him to cover. Ciante would be overpowered by him and Santos is not experienced and probably not quick enough to stay with him for some of the deep routes they run with Funchess. Stanley is big enough, but would be out of his natural position lining up in the slot and I wouldn't call SJB an excellent option in run support which is needed in that role. I could see us stopping Gallon on the outside, but could see Funchess going for about 150 yards and 2 TD's.

Funchess is a guy that worries me. I don't forsee us using as much DB pressure this game as last because of guys like him and Gallon.

I think the biggest question of the game is who do we put on Devin Funchess? The guy is a beast and I don't see who we put on him to cover. Ciante would be overpowered by him and Santos is not experienced and probably not quick enough to stay with him for some of the deep routes they run with Funchess. Stanley is big enough, but would be out of his natural position lining up in the slot and I wouldn't call SJB an excellent option in run support which is needed in that role. I could see us stopping Gallon on the outside, but could see Funchess going for about 150 yards and 2 TD's.

Funchess is a guy that worries me. I don't forsee us using as much DB pressure this game as last because of guys like him and Gallon.

I would like to see a lot more physical press at the LOS to slow their release, mess up timing routes and give our DL a second or 2 more time to get to the QB.

I was having a conversation with my buddies about how we stop Gardner. What I have always thought (dont know if I have ever posted) wouldn't be a bad idea to stop the Zone Read on defense is to get the other team's OC to stop calling it. I think the best way to do that is that first read play that they call, the DE that they are "optioning off" just takes a complete bull-rush at the QB and no matter if he keeps it or holds it, you hit him and you hit him hard. Nothing illegal, just make sure that he understands on that play he will get hit. The next couple times you do the same. If you get a penalty, you get a penalty. By the 3rd quarter or so that QBs legs will be so heavy that he won't be able to run it effectively. It could very well be a physcological thing as well.

IIRC, this is exactly what UCLA did to us last year that ultimately caused the safety. Every time we ran a zone read/option etc they crashed him whether he had the ball or not. It worked. Do the same against Michicken. Every time we can lay the wood, lay it. He, like most QB's, will start to get gun shy, make the wrong reads or play erratic as they go into self preservation mode from the pounding.

Is there anyone on here with keys to Bo or Paps office that could print this off and lay it on their desks? Please let us do this, take away their confidence early, play physical and make them respect the pressure.