Can We Win Out?

ladyhawke

Based on the top 25 I would say the SEC, Pac 12 and ACC (FSU #2, Clemson #8) are all doing pretty good compared to the Big 10. Even the Big 12 has more ranked teams than the Big 10 currently except in the coaches poll where Minnesota eaked out Georgia for the #25th spot this week.

i am just speaking in general. a lot of two loss teams and teams that just do not meet the eye-test.

The way I would describe the B1G is that the peaks aren't as high as the other conferences but the valleys don't seem to be as low either.

You guys joined the Big Ten at a 20-year nadir, imo. From the early 1990's through the late 00's there were usually 2 elite teams and 2 or 3 more clear top 25-teams: Ohio State, Michigan, PSU + two from Iowa, Wiscy, Illinois, MSU, Minny, NW, etc. During this time, the Big Ten's perception didn't match its true talent level, imo. A lot of this stemmed from a very tough bowl slate (made worse by almost always putting two teams in BCS games which moved others up a notch), inherent geographic bowl game disadvantage and unusually long wait from season's end till the high-profile bowl games. Ohio State had something like a 45 day break between Michigan '06 and the MNC game. The conference championship does something to address the last bit, at least.

Overall, the B10 has a better BCS record than the B12 and the ACC despite playing tougher match ups. Everyone points to OSU's flops in the 06 and 07 title games, but they're 6-3 in BCS games. Plus, some of those PSU, Iowa and Michigan squads that got handled by USC in Los Angeles were very, very good, and just didn't look the same come early January. Not taking anything from those USC squads. They were elite. But mid-season match-ups without the extreme geography disadvantage would have been interesting.

The Tatgate scandal, Rich Rod's disastrous tenure at Michigan and the Sandusky nightmare created a mammoth vacuum during your first years in the Big Ten. Only OSU seems to have recovered. Even Iowa hasn't looked anything but mediocre since the GT Orange Bowl win. Overall, the B10 is down, unquestionably, and bad bowl seasons highlighted by Wisconsin's three consecutive Rose Bowl losses (by less than 20 points combined, ouch!) have made things worse. Hoping a good bowl season performance will shake some of the negative vibes.

Based on the top 25 I would say the SEC, Pac 12 and ACC (FSU #2, Clemson #8) are all doing pretty good compared to the Big 10. Even the Big 12 has more ranked teams than the Big 10 currently except in the coaches poll where Minnesota eaked out Georgia for the #25th spot this week.

i am just speaking in general. a lot of two loss teams and teams that just do not meet the eye-test.

The way I would describe the B1G is that the peaks aren't as high as the other conferences but the valleys don't seem to be as low either.

You guys joined the Big Ten at a 20-year nadir, imo. From the early 1990's through the late 00's there were usually 2 elite teams and 2 or 3 more clear top 25-teams: Ohio State, Michigan, PSU + two from Iowa, Wiscy, Illinois, MSU, Minny, NW, etc. During this time, the Big Ten's perception didn't match its true talent level, imo. A lot of this stemmed from a very tough bowl slate (made worse by almost always putting two teams in BCS games which moved others up a notch), inherent geographic bowl game disadvantage and unusually long wait from season's end till the high-profile bowl games. Ohio State had something like a 45 day break between Michigan '06 and the MNC game. The conference championship does something to address the last bit, at least.

Overall, the B10 has a better BCS record than the B12 and the ACC despite playing tougher match ups. Everyone points to OSU's flops in the 06 and 07 title games, but they're 6-3 in BCS games. Plus, some of those PSU, Iowa and Michigan squads that got handled by USC in Los Angeles were very, very good, and just didn't look the same come early January. Not taking anything from those USC squads. They were elite. But mid-season match-ups without the extreme geography disadvantage would have been interesting.

The Tatgate scandal, Rich Rod's disastrous tenure at Michigan and the Sandusky nightmare created a mammoth vacuum during your first years in the Big Ten. Only OSU seems to have recovered. Even Iowa hasn't looked anything but mediocre since the GT Orange Bowl win. Overall, the B10 is down, unquestionably, and bad bowl seasons highlighted by Wisconsin's three consecutive Rose Bowl losses (by less than 20 points combined, ouch!) have made things worse. Hoping a good bowl season performance will shake some of the negative vibes.

Now you know how we felt by having to play Miami and FSU in the Orange Bowl all the time.

We can win out, we can lose out. MSU is going to be our toughest game left in the regular season. Win that, and don't let it go to our heads, and we should be fine until the CCG.

I saw something at the end of the Michigan game that I really liked. After that last stop by the defense, on Michigan's last drive, ESPN showed a view of the sideline and you had the entire D around Paps while he was telling them to stay focused. Start preparing for next week.

We can win out, we can lose out. MSU is going to be our toughest game left in the regular season. Win that, and don't let it go to our heads, and we should be fine until the CCG.

I saw something at the end of the Michigan game that I really liked. After that last stop by the defense, on Michigan's last drive, ESPN showed a view of the sideline and you had the entire D around Paps while he was telling them to stay focused. Start preparing for next week.

What made me excited was watching the defense leave the field after that final stop. They knew what they had just done. The swagger and confidence they showed was awesome. Even listening to Lane Grendle on the radio say he hadnt seen a defense leave the field with that kind of swagger since 2009. That gave me chills.

Miami and FSU in the Orange Bowl all the time? The Big Ten's been playing USC, UCLA and Cal in the Rose Bowl for over half a century. In the BCS era, aside from the random one off, it's been SEC teams in Florida, B12 teams in Texas and PAC teams in California. Despite this, the almightly SEC holds a razor-thin BCS-era bowl game advantage over the B10. You'd never know that if you listened to the media, however.

Miami and FSU in the Orange Bowl all the time? The Big Ten's been playing USC, UCLA and Cal in the Rose Bowl for over half a century. In the BCS era, aside from the random one off, it's been SEC teams in Florida, B12 teams in Texas and PAC teams in California. Despite this, the almightly SEC holds a razor-thin BCS-era bowl game advantage over the B10. You'd never know that if you listened to the media, however.

You're going to find it hard to get any sympathy here. We've been traveling to play bowls against local or nearly local teams for as long as the B10 has. Sure, we got Michigan in Phoenix once and in San Antonio another time, but those aren't close to Lincoln, NE either.

I would love to see this happen but my fear is this: beat MSU then go to Happy Valley and crap the bed. We have done it before. Give some reasons why we can win out

>Current positive momentum

>Some injured players will be back

>These young kids have heart/passion for the game

What else?

i don't think so......but i know one thing, they are fresh out of Kool-aid at HiVee!

You're going to find it hard to get any sympathy here. We've been traveling to play bowls against local or nearly local teams for as long as the B10 has. Sure, we got Michigan in Phoenix once and in San Antonio another time, but those aren't close to Lincoln, NE either.

True. Nebraska historically has had a geographic disadvantage in bowl games relative to most other top programs. But the B10 is the pits. Every year, besides random MACtacular battles in Detroit Auto Bailout bowls, all B10 bowl teams travel across the country to face teams in their own backyards.