Tell me again about how the team plays better without Martinez

Branno

I think his lack of speed has more to do with his knee being scoped in July than anything. He didn't seem slow against top Texas High School competition in his film, if I recall.

He'll get the turnovers under control, and if he can get back a little bit of his shiftiness in the offseason, I predict great things to come. The guy just "gets" the Option.

Now if only we'd RUN the friggin option. I like the idea of playing option football at Nebraska--call me crazy--but you have to commit to that style of ball. Beck's 'system' or whatever you want to call it is a mutt. Plenty of athletes, no vision. Fix that problem, add an experienced, talented defense, and we're right where we need to be.

Very much agree with this. We do too much. Beck can't seem to simplify that playbook, and it'll be his undoing here. He needs to land on 10-15 plays that suit his players' skills and stick with them. Practice the hell out of them so you can run them out of 5 different base sets, and if it's working JUST KEEP DOING IT.

He seems to constantly be trying to pick out a play they won't be ready for, to "trick" the opponent. Problem is, it's not what we've been successful at, and more often than not we bungle it. If he would just calm down and stick with what works until the opponent stops it, he'd have a lot more success.

boom dun. Lock it up.

But I would respectfully suggest that's when you need to check your ego and separate your roles as a poster and as a moderator. Threatening to suspend or ban someone for simply disagreeing with you is pretty ridiculous.

This is exactly what you do. You have a problem with Martinez so anyone disagreeing with you has a "hysterical overreaction to any criticism directed his way." Now I tell you to knock off this constant Martinez mantra and you overreact with some nonsense about me being a Moderator.

I haven't given you a warning, a suspension or banned you. I would suggest that you stop "hysterically overreacting" to me, drop the Martinez crap, and move on.

I have no problem with him and contributed to at least a couple of threads this week that were basically tributes to him. He gave his all for Nebraska. Good for him. I wish him well.

The Stanton/Armstrong battle next season should be fun to watch. Has anyone heard how Stanton's recovery is progressing?

I think his lack of speed has more to do with his knee being scoped in July than anything. He didn't seem slow against top Texas High School competition in his film, if I recall.

He'll get the turnovers under control, and if he can get back a little bit of his shiftiness in the offseason, I predict great things to come. The guy just "gets" the Option.

Now if only we'd RUN the friggin option. I like the idea of playing option football at Nebraska--call me crazy--but you have to commit to that style of ball. Beck's 'system' or whatever you want to call it is a mutt. Plenty of athletes, no vision. Fix that problem, add an experienced, talented defense, and we're right where we need to be.

I agree.....good post.

I really didn't want to be right about this one.

I can only imagine Stanton is the guy next year.

how is Stanton the guy for next year? please do tell.

Armstrong has yet to show he has the ability to consistently get catchable passes to our receivers. He either overthrows the ball or throws the wrong route. Against teams with a pulse he has yet to show the ability to run the ball for more than small yards. He is turnover prone.

Nothing I have seen from him has proven he has locked the spot down, and from what we hear from practice it sounds like Stanton is really getting it

Think about 2010. Martinez earned that starting QB job and proved he belonged there. Can anyone honestly say Armstrong has shown he deserves the job next year?

Armstrong has yet to show he has the ability to consistently get catchable passes to our receivers. He either overthrows the ball or throws the wrong route. Against teams with a pulse he has yet to show the ability to run the ball for more than small yards. He is turnover prone.

Nothing I have seen from him has proven he has locked the spot down, and from what we hear from practice it sounds like Stanton is really getting it

Think about 2010. Martinez earned that starting QB job and proved he belonged there. Can anyone honestly say Armstrong has shown he deserves the job next year?

I dont know. But it's not next year. It's this year. And Taylor is hurt. And Armstrong is the best healthy option right now.

I'd like to know this, too. Tommy had a rough game. He has some things to work on. But if this is his basement, good God his ceiling could be astronomical.

There seems to be this tendency to "hysterically overreact" (to use one of my favorite new phrases) to a quarterback's bad game. Tommy's had some trouble with his passing. He's played in, what? His sixth collegiate game? He'll get it figured out. The guy is fine.

I'm more worried about his lack of speed. His passing will improve. I thought he was faster. Hopefully he can work on that. He's shifty enough, I just wish he had another gear.

He had his knee scoped out and it's not quite where he wants it to be. So it's tough to be explosive and fast when you're running on a knee that you don't trust.

I dont know. But it's not next year. It's this year. And Taylor is hurt. And Armstrong is the best healthy option right now.

Yes he is.