USC

Hujan

While I don't completely disagree OP, I will say this - we live in a society of quick success and little patience now when it comes to coaching. One of your examples, Gene Chizik, was actually brought into Auburn to fix a team that went 5-7. He took them to the Outback Bowl, then won a national title, and then sent Auburn into the abyss. Now, a new head coach is doing almost exactly what Chizik did in his first year. Brady Hoke is another good example - coming in and sending Michigan to immediate success, and now they don't look like a good team at all either.

Again, I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but we shouldn't use the success of first year coaches as a bench mark for bringing in a new coach. There are tons of coaches out there that have been awesome for a year or two and then sent their teams into mediocrity or never matched their early success.

Just got two commits yesterday as a matter of fact

A 2-star LB and a (no star?) JUCO WR? I think you know what I meant and neither of those is it.

IIRC, AA was a two star until December/January. He was bumped up to a three star after that.

Wasn't that as a DB though? I thought he had an offer from Alabama to play Safety.

While I don't completely disagree OP, I will say this - we live in a society of quick success and little patience now when it comes to coaching. One of your examples, Gene Chizik, was actually brought into Auburn to fix a team that went 5-7. He took them to the Outback Bowl, then won a national title, and then sent Auburn into the abyss. Now, a new head coach is doing almost exactly what Chizik did in his first year. Brady Hoke is another good example - coming in and sending Michigan to immediate success, and now they don't look like a good team at all either.

Again, I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but we shouldn't use the success of first year coaches as a bench mark for bringing in a new coach. There are tons of coaches out there that have been awesome for a year or two and then sent their teams into mediocrity or never matched their early success.

I really like this post. +1

I don't have anymore points for today. I didn't even know that could happen and I've been around for nearly 6 years. Shows how much I give out points. Ha!

A 2-star LB and a (no star?) JUCO WR? I think you know what I meant and neither of those is it.

IIRC, AA was a two star until December/January. He was bumped up to a three star after that.

Wasn't that as a DB though? I thought he had an offer from Alabama to play Safety.

I'm not sure but that's probable. His recruiting picked up pretty late. His OV came on Jan. 14 and he committed less than a week later. 'Bama didn't offer him until after his visit to Nebraska.

I'm not sure but that's probable. His recruiting picked up pretty late. His OV came on Jan. 14 and he committed less than a week later. 'Bama didn't offer him until after his visit to Nebraska.

I also don't think they were recruiting him that heavily. Auburn came to the party close to NSD also.

Streeter, are you going to break down recruiting from 2010-present like EZ asked? I'm sure this board would love your thoughts since you are so knowledgeable on the subject

Urm, no.

You guys pedal excuses like it's your job.

"Oh, Nebraska is so cold and remote and far from everywhere." Well, USC was sledge-hammered to death by the NCAA and kept pulling in 5* recruits on the reg despite having a coach that everyone supposedly hated so much.

"Oh, we are so young and injured, we're doing really good with what we got." Well, USC just beat #4 Stanford with 48 scholarship players on the roster.

"Oh, it's not just the coach, he can't make them tackle or hold onto the ball." Well, USC just fixed all their fundamental problems by firing their head coach.

"Oh, well Pelini's teams would walk through walls for him. The players love him!" Well, we've had more than our fair share of players transfer in the last few years and the high-star recruits are not exactly flooding in this year.

It goes on and on. Bottom line is the excuses are getting old. Pelini can't hack it and that's all there is to it.

1. True statement. Nebraska is a cold weather state and does not have much D1 talent in the state.

2. That is also true. We are young and do have some injuries.

3. Also true. The coaches teach and the players need to take what they learn and apply it on the field.

4. True. Been said by former players and current players many a time.

Look, I am in the middle of this whole fire Pelini debate. The 100% negative people annoy the hell out of me and the 100% sunshine pumpers annoy the hell out of me. I am not stupid, I know there are problems in this program. But I also see some positive. Recruiting has been better the last two years, talented youngsters, etc. And then the negatives: not being able to get over the hump, losing big games on national TV, turnovers, etc. I don't like to dwell on negatives in anything in my life, Im a glass half full kind of guy. I like to see positives in every situation, which is what I try and do with this team and their future.

I have already said heads need to roll this offseason in order to get over the hump. I think Brown, Fischer, Kaz, Garrison and Joseph should rightfully be 100% safe. Everyone else should be on the chopping block. I also think Bo should be safe unless you already have someone better lined up to replace him. I think he should get at least 10 years to win a CCG. I don't think that is too much to ask considering he has won 75% of his games. If he was only winning 6-7 games a year, it would be a different story. If he still can't get it done with a decade to work with or his win totals start to plummet, then I think 100% a change needs to be made. Long story short, I don't think he deserves to get canned this year, but if he does, I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

I was one of the people making the arms race argument. You are right. As long as USC does hire Orgeron. That is far from certain.

There will likely be a lot of teams and only a few decent coaches. Texas is still up in the air. It sure sounds like they want him gone, at least the majority of fans. USC remains unknown. I haven't been keeping close track of too many others, but it seems Muschamp is also on thin ice.

Maybe we would be best, if we make a change, in hiring Orgeron if USC doesn't take him. He has certainly shown what he can do with an already loaded cupboard. I think we have the cupboard. I am still in favor of keeping Bo for the longer term, 2-3 more years, but if we DO make a change, it had damn well better be a good one. We have already fired one wildly successful coach and taken three steps back. If we do it again, that could be lights out on Husker football.

Its not just those two, wise guy. Its been that way for the last 6 seasons. The offer lists of these kids we get are F&%#-ING Terrible.

How are people so blind to this?!

Rivals thought we put together a pretty good class last season...

I'd enjoy hearing you break down recruiting from 2010 to present CL

Oh boy another dick measuring contest.

Not in the slightest. I'm giving him an opportunity to elaborate on his very general statement.

Ultimately, USC's success the back half this year is a good thing for NU. SC is likely going to hire Orgeron, and the "ZOMG we can't get into a arms race with dem" argument is proved as stupid as the people who wanted to make it.

Del Rio

They've already interviewed him if the internet is to be believed. I'd be surprised if it wasn't Orgeron at this point.

Ultimately, USC's success the back half this year is a good thing for NU. SC is likely going to hire Orgeron, and the "ZOMG we can't get into a arms race with dem" argument is proved as stupid as the people who wanted to make it.

Del Rio

They've already interviewed him if the internet is to be believed. I'd be surprised if it wasn't Orgeron at this point.

Del Rio interviewed Nov 1