National Champion Coaches Facts. (BCS Era)

Is there another Saban or Meyer out there, big cat?

If you're asking if there are other coaches that will eventually win a national title within a few years at their school, then yes. Yes there are.

Not sure where you're going with that though, as I was just pointing out that your criticism of the type of statistic used in the list is stupid.

I don't see a coach on that list who was a rookie head coach when he took the job. They pretty much knew their way around the block and had connections in the coaching ranks. They had assistants they were comfortable with. They had recruiting bases and high school coaches around the country they had relationships with. Bo and a few of his assistants at the time had that luxury. The others had to start from scratch. Probably Bo's fault at the time was not hiring more experienced assistants. We don't know that he didn't try but was unable to find experienced guys who would work for a young firery coach.

I really think after the 2nd year here Bo felt he could will his team to the top but I also think he now understands the challenge of getting to the top of anything. There are good coaches almost everywhere all clawing to achieve the same goal as he is.

Having said all this I don't have an answer. Are there great experienced coaches beating down the door to coach here? I doubt it. Is there a young coach out there in the mold of Saban, Carroll and Meyer? There probably is but I also can't tell you for sure we don't already have him with a few more years of better recruiting and experience. All I know is, the decision will be made at a pay grade higher than mine and I'll not lose any sleep over it.

• Fire 1

I don't know how to read the finer points here, or even if there ARE any to be read.

We can conclude that good coaches get it done sooner. Or we can conclude that schools and fans are so impatient that championships appear, that we have created a rapidly spinning carousel of coaches.

Gone are the days of "building a career" at a single school, ala Osborne and Bowden. If that is the case, I will miss those days. I loved the sense of continuity and family it brought, especially growing up in Nebraska, where the state revolves around the team so much of the time.

Maybe there are other ways to read this info, too. I haven't looked at all the comments, just began spewing from the keyboard after a quick read of the OP.

I was reading another thread and.....well multiple threads, and everyone has been comparing Bo to TO and how its the same situation TO was in early on. Whatever.

Anyway. I did some research and anyway I will just list out what I have found, and you guys can discuss or not discuss...Take it FWIW

1998 - Tenn (Fulmer, Year 7 at school)

1999 - FSU (Bowden, Year 24)

2000 - Oklahoma (Stoops, Year 2)

2001 - Miami (Coker, Year 1)

2002 - Ohio State (Tressel, Year 2)

2003 - LSU (Saban, Year 4)

2004 - USC (Carroll, Year 4)

2005 - Vince Young (Brown, Year 8)

2006 - Florida (Meyer, Year 2)

2007 - LSU (Miles, Year 2)

2008 - Florida (Meyer, Year 4)

2009 - Alabama (Saban, Year 3)

2010 - Auburn (Chizik, Year 2)

2011 - Bama (Saban, Year 5)

2012 - Bama (Saban, Year 6)

*2013 - Bama/FSU/Ohio St (Saban Y7, Fisher Y4, Meyer Y2)

Discuss.

Of those coaches, only three remain at their respective school.

Saban at 'Bama

Stoops at Oklahoma

Brown at Texas -Who everybody in Texas wants gone.

Two coaches (Saban at LSU, Carroll at USC) went to the NFL.

The rest, besides Meyer, were either forced out or fired.

Edit- Eyes must be failing me. Miles is also still at LSU

I was reading another thread and.....well multiple threads, and everyone has been comparing Bo to TO and how its the same situation TO was in early on. Whatever.

Anyway. I did some research and anyway I will just list out what I have found, and you guys can discuss or not discuss...Take it FWIW

1998 - Tenn (Fulmer, Year 7 at school)

1999 - FSU (Bowden, Year 24)

2000 - Oklahoma (Stoops, Year 2)

2001 - Miami (Coker, Year 1)

2002 - Ohio State (Tressel, Year 2)

2003 - LSU (Saban, Year 4)

2004 - USC (Carroll, Year 4)

2005 - Vince Young (Brown, Year 8)

2006 - Florida (Meyer, Year 2)

2007 - LSU (Miles, Year 2)

2008 - Florida (Meyer, Year 4)

2009 - Alabama (Saban, Year 3)

2010 - Auburn (Chizik, Year 2)

2011 - Bama (Saban, Year 5)

2012 - Bama (Saban, Year 6)

*2013 - Bama/FSU/Ohio St (Saban Y7, Fisher Y4, Meyer Y2)

Discuss.

Of those coaches, only three remain at their respective school.

Saban at 'Bama

Stoops at Oklahoma

Brown at Texas -Who everybody in Texas wants gone.

Two coaches (Saban at LSU, Carroll at USC) went to the NFL.

The rest, besides Meyer, were either forced out or fired.

Been rumblings in OU about wanting Stoops out