RKIII after last TD

C N Red

I was at the game and noticed this, not sure if showed it on TV or if anybody else at game saw it. RKIII was pissed after we scored that last TD. I think he felt he could have won that game for us if he would have been put in early. He was VERY upset over by the sideline!!!

And, for this one game, I believe he may have been a good answer. We didn't run anything special with TA that he needed to be in there and RKIII would have been a better option for throwing the ball.

We could have run the ball just as well as we did with RKIII, but our passing game could have been better IMO.

I've never been the guy who wanted one QB more or the other, but just from how the game was going and how we were able to run the ball well without the option, but our passing game was lacking some with TA, I think of all the games we've used 2 QBs, this is the one where I think RKIII could have been the man to get the most snaps with what our offense needed for this game.

And yes, I know, if we take care of the ball we are right in the game and none of it matters. But with how the game was going, if RKIII plays early and plays well, we may see going into the 2nd half that he should have been the man to bring us home.

We can speculate all day long on what they were upset with, but I'm gonna go with the fact they we were not given any chance whatsoever in this game, Michigan St's defense was proclaimed this almight immovable object, and frankly, for the better part of this game when we held onto the ball, our MASH unit offense lead by a redshirt freshman, turnover proned qb made this incredible defense look flat out silly, and yet again, we found multiple ways to give the game away. I would hope they would be pissed.

As far as the Kellogg/Armstrong discussion goes, maybe in this game it wouldve been good to change it up. I dont know. But RKIII is no threat whatsoever with the run. Now, that's not annointed Armstrong as some type of Eric Crouch/Frazier hybrid, but he brings at least the threat of the run to the table. Brings the threat of a legit option attack to the table. That opens up a lot in our offense when the qb is a legit running threat. We should know that better than anyone. We've got the last 4 years of with and without evidence to prove such. That's why at this point, I slightly lean towards Armstrong in letting him take his lumps. His two fumbles are tough for me to critique. Why are we pulling a guard on our own goal line? But regardless with that play, the way it developed, it probabaly woudlve been a fumble anyway. And the one right before half was just a great play by the defender in stripping that ball. Unfortunate and tough to put it all on Tommy. What I like most about Tommy is his willingness to let the ball go deep downfield and give his receivers a chance to make a huge play. He threw it up for Bell for a TD. He threw a deep one for Enunwa, who, though it was one handed, we think should usually make that play. Yes, he slightly misses a lot of throws, but he's putting it out there, and the fact that he's just missing is still enough to get the D out of the box, cuz it's a legit threat in the passing game too.

RKIII has been a die hard Husker fan all his life. He has been in this program for 5 years and has been able to be on the field living his dream a number of times this year. The team lost this game this weekend. OF COURSE HE IS GOING TO BE UPSET!!!!!!!!

That doesn't mean the coaches made bad decisions or that RKIII is upset or has any ill feelings towards the coaching staff. A competitor wants to be on the field and leading the team. That didn't work out for him in this game.

I saw a lot of players very upset after this game. Just watch the interviews after the game.

But RKIII is no threat whatsoever with the run.

...that's why we have people on the teams that are called "running backs". Some teams will let their running backs do all the running, and pick a quarterback based on something called "passing". The idea behind it is that having someone who can pass on the field makes it harder on defenses and also turns wideouts and tight ends into offensive weapons.

I heard that the Denver Broncos are experimenting with a quarterback who isn't a running threat, but the jury is still out on whether it can work...

• Fire 2

Mich St. would have blitzed more and had Kellog on his back cause he is no threat to run.

Was Joe Namath ever a threat to run?

Dan Marino?

Ron Jaworski?

Kurt Warner?

How does Peyton Manning survive being one dimensional? Do you think he can ever be considered as successful as Bobby Douglass who was a great runner? Does anybody ever mention Bobby Douglass in the same breath as Joe Namath or Kurt Warner? Why would the Broncos keep Manning and not replace him with Tim Tebow or Vince Young, both who are a threat to run? Why didn't defenses easily shut down any of the above guys by constant blitzing and putting them on their backs?

Couldn't we use a specialized player called a running back to provide a running threat and and prevent constant all out blitzing?

I dont want to get down on Tommy cause he does seem to have something, Beck calls the "IT" factor but so far I have not seen or gotten a sense of what ever " IT " is ? I dont proclaim to be a great judge of things of this nature either but I have seen a young guy who has great leadership ability and a un canny knack for running the option pitch play but really his running skills are still suspect to my eyes and his ability to deliver a on target ball with his arm.

What I have seen is RK3 can run the option pitch and all the other toss or hand off plays and he can deliver the ball with pin point precision so a question that will linger for me is why didnt they put him in for 2 or 3 series at the start of the 2nd half and see what happened ? at that point the winner of the game for everyone if they would admit it or not was still very much in doubt the way our D was playing it might have given us the spark we so badly needed.

The game is not about jimmys and joes but is about "X"s and "O"s

Cant blame RK3 for being pissed, Bo & Beck's decision to not try it at least just might have cost us this game and OTHER YET TO BE DECIDED THINGS.

...that's why we have people on the teams that are called "running backs". Some teams will let their running backs do all the running, and pick a quarterback based on something called "passing". The idea behind it is that having someone who can pass on the field makes it harder on defenses and also turns wideouts and tight ends into offensive weapons.

I heard that the Denver Broncos are experimenting with a quarterback who isn't a running threat, but the jury is still out on whether it can work...

I think your reading into what he said WAY too much. Nebraska has always had a dual threat QB, and its what you need right now, especially when your line can't give enough protection. Our OL isn't what it was at the beginning of the year on pass protection. You take out Tommy, you leave MSU one less player to worry about hurting them. This is why we are so great in the run game, because the defense has to be accountable for 11 players, rather than just 10. Like roadrat said, MSU would have brought more pressure. Not only that, but the Safeties wouldn't be playing as close as they were when Armstrong was in. MSU's best part of their defense, is their secondary.

nebraska-tennessee-p1.jpg

• Fire 1

Our OL isn't what it was at the beginning of the year on pass protection.

Did you read my post about those guys called "running backs"?

Armstrong provided 18 yards of rushing. I would trade those 18 yards for a few more pass completions or a few less turnovers. Heck, I would have rather he handed it off to Cross or Abdullah on those plays.

Our OL isn't what it was at the beginning of the year on pass protection.

Did you read my post about those guys called "running backs"? Armstrong provided 18 yards of rushing. I would trade those 18 yards for a few more pass completions or a few less turnovers.

Did you not watch the game and see how our passing game was going? A dual threat QB gives a RB more of an advantage when running the ball. We move to a pocket passing game, our running games slows down.

evc_20131116_Michigan_State_vs_Nebraska_161286.jpg

Compare your picture of Peyton Manning and my picture of Tommy Armstrong, and then ask yourself, what does Peyton have that Tommy doesn't...

ANSWER: a football in his posession...

WTF are you talking about? He posted that picture showing what happens when we play Pro-style offenses, which is what you run when you have a pocket QB.