Iowa Joke Thread

Decked

Playing Iowa is like playing that one apathetic guy in fantasy football... you know, the one who has given up and no longer checks his line up for byes and injuries. It's hard to care if you win because you know that he doesn't care if he loses.

For the same reason, a loss stings particularly badly because you know they were just going through the motions and are satisfied with any win and any season outcome.

We are upset that we are 8-3 going into the game. They are happy to have beaten Michigan to get to 7-4.

When we played OU, the stakes were always high. Both cared A LOT.

If you won, you went to the Orange Bowl and possibly to the National Title Game. If you lost, you lemented what might have been and it took a while for you to shake off the notion that the season was ruined by that defeat.

Why aren't there any crimes solved in the state of Iowa?

There are no dental records and all of the DNA is the same.

My brother in law works for the Iowa DCI. I am going to have to remember this one.

I usually use it to piss off the SEC fans that I work with...but it works for our "special" neighbors to our east too.

Playing Iowa is like playing that one apathetic guy in fantasy football... you know, the one who has given up and no longer checks his line up for byes and injuries. It's hard to care if you win because you know that he doesn't care if he loses.

For the same reason, a loss stings particularly badly because you know they were just going through the motions and are satisfied with any win and any season outcome.

We are upset that we are 8-3 going into the game. They are happy to have beaten Michigan to get to 7-4.

If you won, you went to the Orange Bowl and possibly to the National Title Game. If you lost, you lemented what might have been and it took a while for you to shake off the notion that the season was ruined by that defeat.

Maybe most Iowa fans have a more realistic expectation for where their program is at this point. Maybe Nebraska fans shouldn't be so upset at an 8-3 record? Seeing as that has been and will be the norm for Nebraska football for quite some time it might be a good idea to not set the bar too high. The college football landscape is vastly different than it was when Nebraska was a power. This makes it very difficult for a program like Nebraska or Iowa to compete for National titles on a consistent basis ("...but you're an Iowa fan what do you know about winning titles?" Please save it.) I do think it's fair for the both of our programs to expect 8-10 win seasons on a regular basis with the occasional 11 when things fall into place and 6-7 when it's time to rebuild. Both of our programs simply don't have the recruiting resources to do that. I mean lets face it both fan bases come from boring states to a 5 star athlete from Florida. My main point is that I don't believe that Nebraska is what it once was and most likely never will be. I'm not even trying to start a flame war by saying that, Nebraska has great history and it's hard to match that in the mid-west.

What is more likely to happen is Nebraska consistently being a tough team that is enjoyable for their fans to watch. As for me from an Iowa perspective, I truly believe that Iowa is getting better from being in the toilet last season and could be ready to make this series something special over the years. Friday's game should be great as both teams are very even and have strengths and weaknesses that will create interesting matchups. Iowa is not Colorado, but it's hard for me to say that given the recent results. For Iowa's sake I hope that they show some passion that was lacking the past two years to show that they are even with Nebraska. Here's to a great game on Friday :thumbs

Maybe most Iowa fans have a more realistic expectation for where their program is at this point. Maybe Nebraska fans shouldn't be so upset at an 8-3 record? Seeing as that has been and will be the norm for Nebraska football for quite some time it might be a good idea to not set the bar too high. The college football landscape is vastly different than it was when Nebraska was a power. This makes it very difficult for a program like Nebraska or Iowa to compete for National titles on a consistent basis ("...but you're an Iowa fan what do you know about winning titles?" Please save it.) I do think it's fair for the both of our programs to expect 8-10 win seasons on a regular basis with the occasional 11 when things fall into place and 6-7 when it's time to rebuild. Both of our programs simply don't have the recruiting resources to do that. I mean lets face it both fan bases come from boring states to a 5 star athlete from Florida. My main point is that I don't believe that Nebraska is what it once was and most likely never will be. I'm not even trying to start a flame war by saying that, Nebraska has great history and it's hard to match that in the mid-west.

What is more likely to happen is Nebraska consistently being a tough team that is enjoyable for their fans to watch. As for me from an Iowa perspective, I truly believe that Iowa is getting better from being in the toilet last season and could be ready to make this series something special over the years. Friday's game should be great as both teams are very even and have strengths and weaknesses that will create interesting matchups. Iowa is not Colorado, but it's hard for me to say that given the recent results. For Iowa's sake I hope that they show some passion that was lacking the past two years to show that they are even with Nebraska. Here's to a great game on Friday :thumbs

Thanks for the input. Agreed recruiting is getting more difficult in this region but we are seeing a boost I feel. Fridays game will hopefully be exciting as I will sit out in the cold at Memorial for it. Good luck to you Friday and for your bowl game.

I read that bolded type as saying... we know this is the best we can do. That's called being resigned to defeat. Expectations must exsist or 8-3 turns into no bowl game at all. And Iowa didn't go to a bowl game last year.

Iowa fans who are not asking for the resignation of their head coach at this point are either 1) Not in touch with reality. or 2) Don't care.

Frank Solich, a man who hasn't coached at Neberaska in 10 years, has the same BCS Series bowl record as Coach Ferentz at 1-1.

Let that sink in.

As for Nebraska's expecations.. they are not misplaced. Given the resources that the University of Nebraska has, it is not unreasonable to expect the team to contend for conference titles, win nine games and avoid blow out losses.

At current, Bo is only checking one item off that list. And his recruiting appears to be suspect. And so he should be under fire.

Nebraska's wins this year have come against Wyoming, a team with a losing record; Southern Miss, a team with a no-win season; South Dakota State, a team from a different division; Illinois and Purdue, two teams from the lower tier of the opposite division; Northwestern...on a hail mary, a team that is winless in league play; Michigan, a team that's suffering through a disappointing year; and Penn State, a team racked by sanctions.

Joy. Rapture. ok, not really.

Bottom line is either Bo fixes it, or we go in a different direction. I am for giving him more time to fix it.

I am not for pretending a problem doesn't exsist in the first place.

IMO, that would be very IOWA of me to do so.