Why Iowa Should Not be a Rivalry

Sounds like someone's an arrogant prick. :lol:

.......and it is funny how he is standing under a sign that says something about the greatest fans in college football!

I know tons of Nebraska fans that are very, very into the Nebraska football team, but I cannot say that I have bumped into many that I would call "bad" fans. Actually, I would say that the average Nebraska fan probably knows more about the game of football than the average college fan out there.

BRPW- Picked on allot when little?

The B1G is a weak conference this year, we had a lot of injuries, it happens, but it isn't because the B1G is that "much tougher to play in." It comes down to bad luck and possibly some issues on the strength and conditioning side. Iowa should know something about that when several of their players ended up in the hospital due to issues from a tough workout they did that their strength and conditioning coach should have known about so it could have been prevented. The B1G just plays different ball than the Big XII did, it's more power football, with bigger players, we had to switch up our recruiting to help with that issue, takes a few years to fix that. Doesn't mean it's harder, it's just different, no way to spin it IMO.

Examples of Iowa fans and being classy: Flipped off twice in my red truck that has a Husker sticker on it and one of those times was while one of my sick children was in the truck with me. Walked into Jethro's in Waukee with my family, kids included, was wearing a Nebraska shirt, drunk Iowa fan stands up from bar and wants to start a fight with me in front of my children cause I'm wearing a Nebraska shirt. Just laughed at him and walked away, real classy. This is just a few of the things I have to deal with and the reasons why I'm not an Iowa fan. I hate your fans, I hate your school, I hate your team...............will it become a rivalry? Maybe, but it's not going to be forced down our throats either. You can't force rivalries, they just have to happen. Just because we share a border doesn't mean we'll end up being rivals.

Agreed. Bigger, more physical in the B1G does take a different type of team makeup.

As far as at Jethro's, if i was there I would have stood up with my Hawkeye jacket on and we both would have kicked his ass. At the very least I would have had words with him. As you can see in my posts, I am all for "trash talkin'", but there is no room for that. As with all schools, the bottom 20% of fan bases are made up of ignorant folks that are pretty much idiots.

As far as a conference, the analogy of "a rising tide will raise all boats" should be in all of our best interest. the revenue sharing that we do and the B1G Network go a long ways in doing that. A strong conference means better players, better fans, and better football. The challenge is that a really great conference made up of several strong teams may beat up on each other enough that we may never have a National Championship from within the conference. It is a tough accomplishment to win all of your games when you are in the B1G. This is not a 2 team league.

One last quote:

"If he can put his pride aside, if he can stop hiring his friends and trying to create the coaching legacy, if he can get the right assistants around him, Nebraska will accomplish what it wants to accomplish."

Wellll.......If I was 6'5", 325 pounds and could run a 4.4, I'd be a hell of a football player too! That is a whole lot of if's!

And that situation at Jethro's was just a few of the issues I've run into. I have people all the time wonder why I like Nebraska..................really................why does it matter? I shouldn't have to explain it, why do you like Iowa? And it's non-stop, "Oh, you're wearing a Nebraska shirt, that'll cost you extra!" Funny at first, annoying after the million time hearing it.

I agree that it's best for the conference to rise up together and really hit this bowl season hard. The conference is given no respect right now and rightfully so I guess. I hope you guys change my thoughts about you, I really do, but it's gonna be hard.

Hey Hawkeye, any word on who your bowl matchup will be?

It mostly depends on if we get 2 Big Ten teams into the BCS which is a little more iffy now with Wisky blowing it. If we get 2 then we will be in the Outback against one of the SEC teams. I have seen a few different teams thrown out there as possible opponents but I am hoping for LSU because I have some friends down there. If we end up with only 1 BCS team then we will fall below Nebraska because there is now way the BWW bowl passes up that Nebraska/Texas matchup. We could also fall below Michigan as well. Normally I would know all of the scenarios but been too busy this year to study up as much.

The B1G is a weak conference this year, we had a lot of injuries, it happens, but it isn't because the B1G is that "much tougher to play in." It comes down to bad luck and possibly some issues on the strength and conditioning side. Iowa should know something about that when several of their players ended up in the hospital due to issues from a tough workout they did that their strength and conditioning coach should have known about so it could have been prevented. The B1G just plays different ball than the Big XII did, it's more power football, with bigger players, we had to switch up our recruiting to help with that issue, takes a few years to fix that. Doesn't mean it's harder, it's just different, no way to spin it IMO.

Examples of Iowa fans and being classy: Flipped off twice in my red truck that has a Husker sticker on it and one of those times was while one of my sick children was in the truck with me. Walked into Jethro's in Waukee with my family, kids included, was wearing a Nebraska shirt, drunk Iowa fan stands up from bar and wants to start a fight with me in front of my children cause I'm wearing a Nebraska shirt. Just laughed at him and walked away, real classy. This is just a few of the things I have to deal with and the reasons why I'm not an Iowa fan. I hate your fans, I hate your school, I hate your team...............will it become a rivalry? Maybe, but it's not going to be forced down our throats either. You can't force rivalries, they just have to happen. Just because we share a border doesn't mean we'll end up being rivals.

Agreed. Bigger, more physical in the B1G does take a different type of team makeup.

As far as at Jethro's, if i was there I would have stood up with my Hawkeye jacket on and we both would have kicked his ass. At the very least I would have had words with him. As you can see in my posts, I am all for "trash talkin'", but there is no room for that. As with all schools, the bottom 20% of fan bases are made up of ignorant folks that are pretty much idiots.

As far as a conference, the analogy of "a rising tide will raise all boats" should be in all of our best interest. the revenue sharing that we do and the B1G Network go a long ways in doing that. A strong conference means better players, better fans, and better football. The challenge is that a really great conference made up of several strong teams may beat up on each other enough that we may never have a National Championship from within the conference. It is a tough accomplishment to win all of your games when you are in the B1G. This is not a 2 team league.

One last quote:

"If he can put his pride aside, if he can stop hiring his friends and trying to create the coaching legacy, if he can get the right assistants around him, Nebraska will accomplish what it wants to accomplish."

Wellll.......If I was 6'5", 325 pounds and could run a 4.4, I'd be a hell of a football player too! That is a whole lot of if's!

I hope you guys change my thoughts about you, I really do, but it's gonna be hard.

It will also be hard for many to change their opinions about Nebraska fans, and that is one of the reasons this will grow into a great rivalry!