Why Iowa Should Not be a Rivalry

I have to laugh at the "We are too good for Team X to be our rival" attitude. Since when? It's Nebraska that hasn't held up their end of the deal in the B1G. Other teams (Wisconsin) should laugh at us for wanting to be their rival.

Even before we joined the B1G, I thought we should play Iowa every year. Natural border rivalry. But we stick our noses in the air even though Iowa is better than we are this year.

Yes, Iowa IS better than our 3rd team QB and our 2nd team offensive line. Congratulations!

I have to laugh at the "We are too good for Team X to be our rival" attitude. Since when? It's Nebraska that hasn't held up their end of the deal in the B1G. Other teams (Wisconsin) should laugh at us for wanting to be their rival.

Even before we joined the B1G, I thought we should play Iowa every year. Natural border rivalry. But we stick our noses in the air even though Iowa is better than we are this year.

Yes, Iowa IS better than our 3rd team QB and our 2nd team offensive line. Congratulations!

It is quite an achievement isn't it? "Injuries aren't an excuse!!!!" Please, look what it's done to Georgia.

Now that is how rivalries are made! It hurts so bad to lose that excuses spread like wildfire. Bad coach, bad players, bad turnovers, bad fans, bad AD, bad, bad, bad...................

Losing, especially as bad as Nebraska did, should make for a good "fire in the belly" when you come to Iowa City next year. I can assure you that game will mean more to Nebraska fans than what they are willing to admit. If Iowa wins next year will it be a legit rivalry? If Iowa wind will it just be because of a bad coach, bad players, bad turnovers, bad fans, bad AD, bad, bad, bad...................

Lets call it what it is, a rivalry in the making! We are tired of you rubbing past successes in our faces, and now it is our time! Who knows, maybe next year our time will continue? Maybe Nebraska will come to Iowa City and reverse the tables and beat the crap out of the Hawkeyes. That said, maybe the Hawks will win. Either way, it will be a great buildup to a great game, even if the faithful do not want to admit it.

BTW, somebody commented on Iowa's lack of total offensive yards. The only reason that we did not have more was because of the endzone! If we would have taken the ball at our own 10 every possession, we would have had a ton of yards!

Oh yea, this is definitely a rivalry in the making! Hopefully both sets of fans can enjoy the ride!

Now that is how rivalries are made! It hurts so bad to lose that excuses spread like wildfire. Bad coach, bad players, bad turnovers, bad fans, bad AD, bad, bad, bad...................

Losing, especially as bad as Nebraska did, should make for a good "fire in the belly" when you come to Iowa City next year. I can assure you that game will mean more to Nebraska fans than what they are willing to admit. If Iowa wins next year will it be a legit rivalry? If Iowa wind will it just be because of a bad coach, bad players, bad turnovers, bad fans, bad AD, bad, bad, bad...................

Lets call it what it is, a rivalry in the making! We are tired of you rubbing past successes in our faces, and now it is our time! Who knows, maybe next year our time will continue? Maybe Nebraska will come to Iowa City and reverse the tables and beat the crap out of the Hawkeyes. That said, maybe the Hawks will win. Either way, it will be a great buildup to a great game, even if the faithful do not want to admit it.

BTW, somebody commented on Iowa's lack of total offensive yards. The only reason that we did not have more was because of the endzone! If we would have taken the ball at our own 10 every possession, we would have had a ton of yards!

Oh yea, this is definitely a rivalry in the making! Hopefully both sets of fans can enjoy the ride!

No question field position played a part in the overall outcome. Westerkamp fair catching at the 1yd line was one of the more befuddling things Ive witnessed. Better believe were coming to Kinnick with a vengeance.

While you are choosing to infer my comments are an excuse, they are only a statement of fact. It IS a fact that Iowa IS better than the team we fielded yesterday. Whether or not a fully healthy contingent of players from both teams would have yielded a different outcome............we will never know. Enjoy the win.

I just can't get excited for Iowa. If the teams meet with the conference and national title implications on the line a few times, then I can see a rivalry starting. But even CU was just the de facto "rival" because Oklahoma was down and then stopped playing yearly. And CU wasn't much of a rival even with national and conference championships hanging in the balance almost yearly. Iowa has not been relevant to the national title hunt in my lifetime that I can recall, and Nebraska hasn't been in over a decade. Past controversy with PSU makes them NU's de facto "rival" until something forms with another program.

These things have to develop naturally, not with some ridiculous trophy. (FYI, the B1G has WAY too many trophies. I find that I care about none of them because they are all cheapened by having so many.) My money says Wisconsin or NW are more likely to become NU's rival than Iowa.

No question field position played a part in the overall outcome. Westerkamp fair catching at the 1yd line was one of the more befuddling things Ive witnessed. Better believe were coming to Kinnick with a vengeance.

Be careful. You're making the game sound like a rivalry.

Heroes-Game-Trophy-0592-21.jpgI want this sumbitch back in Lincoln

Don't congratulate me, save that for the Hawkeye fans. We aren't so much better than them that we can't beat them with a 3rd sting QB and second team OL? You would think they are so far out of our league that it wouldn't be a problem.

I just can't get excited for Iowa. If the teams meet with the conference and national title implications on the line a few times, then I can see a rivalry starting. But even CU was just the de facto "rival" because Oklahoma was down and then stopped playing yearly. And CU wasn't much of a rival even with national and conference championships hanging in the balance almost yearly. Iowa has not been relevant to the national title hunt in my lifetime that I can recall, and Nebraska hasn't been in over a decade. Past controversy with PSU makes them NU's de facto "rival" until something forms with another program.

These things have to develop naturally, not with some ridiculous trophy. (FYI, the B1G has WAY too many trophies. I find that I care about none of them because they are all cheapened by having so many.) My money says Wisconsin or NW are more likely to become NU's rival than Iowa.

09 and 02 Iowa was ranked in the top 5 in November. Also, if national relevance is what you require for a rival than why are you suggesting that Wisconsin or Northwestern replace Iowa? Wisconsin would just kick Nebraska's a$$ mostly and have you seen Northwestern's record? Just because they consistently play tough with Nebraska doesn't mean they're nationally relevant. You Husker fans just provide so much entertainment.