Why Iowa Should Not be a Rivalry

Because Iowa will lose to Nebraska for the next several years before we hiccup a loss again. Hope you enjoy your win while it lasts.

With Pelini as our coach I have no confidence in this at all.

Its ok. Ill be confident for both of us.

Based on what? I'm serious. What convinces you that things are suddenly going to click for us? Also, we play at their house next year.

When Iowa beats another mediocre Nebraska team next year, will that make it a better rivalry? How about 3 years in a row? 4? Needless to say, with all of the infighting west of the river, recruiting for Nebraska will continue to be in the toilet and wins in the Big 10 will continue to be tough. That said, maybe get a rivalry earlier in the year before the other members of the Big 10 pounds your players into the dirt as they did this year. It is a bit ironic that the Iowa game is at the end of the season, as it does say allot about toughness, both mentally and physically, of both teams.

My bet is that the decision to keep Bo is going to be looked back at as a bad one, but it will certainly play a role in getting this rivalry hotter and faster than I think any of us could imagine.

id like to see both Iowa and Nebraska get good enough that this game means something year in year out.b10 championship appearance, bcs bowl bids , etc....we are from the same region, share a border, known for big lines, know each other ...I would totally welcome it. kinda like auburn/alabama, etc.

id like to see both Iowa and Nebraska get good enough that this game means something year in year out.b10 championship appearance, bcs bowl bids , etc....we are from the same region, share a border, known for big lines, know each other ...I would totally welcome it. kinda like auburn/alabama, etc.

You are exactly right!!! It can become a great rivalry between two schools that have some passion (that will grow with time).It would be good for both states, schools, sets of fans, the conference, recruiting, etc. I am not sure exactly what the fight is against it. Hopefully we keep the Friday after Thanksgiving date well into the future.

I just can't get excited for Iowa. If the teams meet with the conference and national title implications on the line a few times, then I can see a rivalry starting. But even CU was just the de facto "rival" because Oklahoma was down and then stopped playing yearly. And CU wasn't much of a rival even with national and conference championships hanging in the balance almost yearly. Iowa has not been relevant to the national title hunt in my lifetime that I can recall, and Nebraska hasn't been in over a decade. Past controversy with PSU makes them NU's de facto "rival" until something forms with another program.

These things have to develop naturally, not with some ridiculous trophy. (FYI, the B1G has WAY too many trophies. I find that I care about none of them because they are all cheapened by having so many.) My money says Wisconsin or NW are more likely to become NU's rival than Iowa.

09 and 02 Iowa was ranked in the top 5 in November. Also, if national relevance is what you require for a rival than why are you suggesting that Wisconsin or Northwestern replace Iowa? Wisconsin would just kick Nebraska's a$$ mostly and have you seen Northwestern's record? Just because they consistently play tough with Nebraska doesn't mean they're nationally relevant. You Husker fans just provide so much entertainment.

Ok, well Iowa and NU need to get to that top 5 in the same season. The reason I mention Wisconsin and NW is that I think they'll be national relevant before Iowa. NW has played us close 3 years in a row. Wisconsin stomped us a couple times. This was the first time I thought Iowa could beat NU, and that's only because we were so injured. If Iowa continues to beat NU, and the game has some meaning other than a silly trophy, then a rivalry could develop, but these things take time.

This would be fantastic.

I just can't get excited for Iowa. If the teams meet with the conference and national title implications on the line a few times, then I can see a rivalry starting. But even CU was just the de facto "rival" because Oklahoma was down and then stopped playing yearly. And CU wasn't much of a rival even with national and conference championships hanging in the balance almost yearly. Iowa has not been relevant to the national title hunt in my lifetime that I can recall, and Nebraska hasn't been in over a decade. Past controversy with PSU makes them NU's de facto "rival" until something forms with another program.

These things have to develop naturally, not with some ridiculous trophy. (FYI, the B1G has WAY too many trophies. I find that I care about none of them because they are all cheapened by having so many.) My money says Wisconsin or NW are more likely to become NU's rival than Iowa.

09 and 02 Iowa was ranked in the top 5 in November. Also, if national relevance is what you require for a rival than why are you suggesting that Wisconsin or Northwestern replace Iowa? Wisconsin would just kick Nebraska's a$$ mostly and have you seen Northwestern's record? Just because they consistently play tough with Nebraska doesn't mean they're nationally relevant. You Husker fans just provide so much entertainment.

09 and 02 Iowa was ranked in the top 5 in November.

Do you hang banners for that........??