Doubting Husker fan status

tmfr15

Don't let the door hit you ...

And, proving the point . . .

You're not a Husker fan. You root for them to lose. You were happy they lost Friday and you were happy about Bo's meltdown, because you thought it would mean he would be fired.

You're a disgusting and dishonest POS.

Warning level increased. Next violation will result in a suspension.

I realize that tempers are high, but the fact remains that we are all Husker fans. So while we can debate what is best for the program, let's bear in mind that each person has their own opinion. If you disagree with it, feel free to state why. But attack the post, not the poster.

Hujan. You make some very valid points. But I also respect Louisiared's rebuttals. There are some valid points on both sides of the fence. Now that SE has decided to retain Bo I will accept it and hope we make big progress next year. In the end I think we end up about the same as this year, but I would love to be wrong.

As I sit in a room surrounded by Husker merchandise it is hard to imagine not being a fan....but its starting to look more and more likely as the hours pass by.

Life is too short to do something you don't want to do and don't have to do. There's a hundred plus other football teams you can follow, or don't watch football at all. Take up a sport yourself, find a hobby, take a class, get a second job, go pick up litter along the roads and in the parks, be a Big Brother.

It's a silly game invented in Teddy Roosevelt's time so the bookworms would get some fresh air and sunshine, for Pete's sake. Put it into perspective.

As I sit in a room surrounded by Husker merchandise it is hard to imagine not being a fan....but its starting to look more and more likely as the hours pass by.

Life is too short to do something you don't want to do and don't have to do. There's a hundred plus other football teams you can follow, or don't watch football at all. Take up a sport yourself, find a hobby, take a class, get a second job, go pick up litter along the roads and in the parks, be a Big Brother.

It's a silly game invented in Teddy Roosevelt's time so the bookworms would get some fresh air and sunshine, for Pete's sake. Put it into perspective.

If you post this on a Bama messageboard I'll give you 5 dollars. You have a good point, but we are on a football forum.

I understand the arguments of people who want Pelini to stay. I understand why they're optimistic, what they're afraid might happen if he leaves--pretty much all of it. I don't consider them less of a fan than myself. I simply don't agree with their rosy picture.

Based on the on-field evidence, Pelini is more likely to lose 4-6 games than he is to win a championship. He has obviously and painfully not progressed in the media-relations part of his job. Not that I care about the media, but Bo is himself more often a story than the successes of his program. His teams lose because of self-inflicted wounds and lack of discipline. His track record of hires has been mediocre. His teams over his tenure often show no more composure than he does.

Don't know where I'm going with this, except to say that I don't get personally insulted when someone disagrees with me that NU would likely be better off with a fresh start. I just don't think they're very thorough in their reasoning.

• Fire 1

If youre a true husker fan then you will never doubt your status as a TRUE husker fan no matter who is in charge. You are NOT a true husker fan if you doubt your husker fan status just because you don't like the coach. Both sides need to grow up and quit attacking each other's opinions and come together as HUSKER fans and hope for the best for the HUSKERS. We, as husker fans, are better than this. We support the team through the thick and the thin that is what a true husker fan does. Now lets come together, quit complaining and attacking each other's viewpoints and hope the huskers kick some ass in the bowl game and kick some ass next year, regardless of who the coach is. GO HUSKERS!

My Husker fandom goes back to those years when Husker fans were doubting TO, late 1980s and 90s. I backed Osborne. I was a fan of Solich and felt like his firing was wrong. I endured but hated BC and was glad when TO came back and hired BP. The BP experience has been frustrating because he has not progressed in the last few years and his Bobby Knight complex has continued. I went to Lincoln hoping to see a competitive game and did not even care if we won because of the BWW bowl possibilities vs Big 12. Then Bo acted like an idiot again and proved he can not handle himself with class in the face of adversity. In the hours that have followed fellow fans who have called for Bo to be held accountable for his continued bad behavior have been repeatedly demeaned an fans seem to be lining up behind Bo and totally excusing his actions. That has had a very chilling affect on my status as a fan. As I sit in a room surrounded by Husker merchandise it is hard to imagine not being a fan....but its starting to look more and more likely as the hours pass by.

pelinismash.gif

I think the number of alleged fans turning on Bo and the other coaches will hurt recruiting even more.

Media does not help either local or nationally

The blame being pushed on "the media" is unwarranted. Though some may think, believe or have proof that various media entities/journalists are out to get Bo, it's certainly not true for all the people that cover the program locally and nationally. In many cases the media didn't embellish anything - take one look at this board or spend five minutes listening to local talk show radio and TONS of Husker fans are/were calling for Bo's job.

I'm certainly not voiding "the media" of any blame, but they get paid to either cover the program or talk Husker sports. And the biggest talk the entire season - amongst the fans - has been whether or not Bo is doing a good enough job.

We need to stop making Bo the victim and the media some predator. I'm not saying you're specifically doing this, just speaking in generalities. There's certainly fault on both sides of the line in this situation - Bo often acts unprofessionally towards media and they write/say things that bother Bo. Truth be told, until Bo starts winning, that relationship is never going to be comfortable. Even if Bo starts winning things won't change much, but it will certainly squash the should Bo stay or go conversations we've had the last three seasons.

• Fire 2

I think the number of alleged fans turning on Bo and the other coaches will hurt recruiting even more.

Media does not help either local or nationally

The blame being pushed on "the media" is unwarranted. Though some may think, believe or have proof that various media entities/journalists are out to get Bo, it's certainly not true for all the people that cover the program locally and nationally. In many cases the media didn't embellish anything - take one look at this board or spend five minutes listening to local talk show radio and TONS of Husker fans are/were calling for Bo's job.

I'm certainly not voiding "the media" of any blame, but they get paid to either cover the program or talk Husker sports. And the biggest talk the entire season - amongst the fans - has been whether or not Bo is doing a good enough job.

We need to stop making Bo the victim and the media some predator. I'm not saying you're specifically doing this, just speaking in generalities. There's certainly fault on both sides of the line in this situation - Bo often acts unprofessionally towards media and they write/say things that bother Bo. Truth be told, until Bo starts winning, that relationship is never going to be comfortable. Even if Bo starts winning things won't change much, but it will certainly squash the should Bo stay or go conversations we've had the last three seasons.

Bo's handling of the media is a problem on multiple levels. He claims to not care what is said but then obviously cares more deeply about what is said than seemingly any fan does. His performance as coach demands scrutiny in several areas, so it should be no surprise to anyone on the team or the staff that he is criticized and questioned. When your team yearly is in contention to lead the nation in fumbles and you cannot return a punt without mayhem, this is the conversation you get.

Add to that a couple of on-camera meltdowns and you make yourself a story.

I don't get personally insulted when someone disagrees with me that NU would likely be better off with a fresh start. I just don't think they're very thorough in their reasoning.

With that in mind, here are some of my favorite examples of false reasoning...

1. Ad Hominem – attacking the person who questions your argument. (A Huskerboard favorite, though the moderators do a nice job of policing...thanks!)
  2. Ad Populum – why waste time with evidence when “everyone” says it is right? (I have no opinion, so I am going to repeat what everyone else says with vigor!)
  3. Ad Ignoratiam – appeal to ignorance, no one here can prove it is false, must be true. (I have a friend/cousin/friend of a friend/made up nobody, that knows X member of the team/organization, and he tells me that Bo ritualistically murders four goats before every game.)
  4. Ad Vericundium – an appeal to inappropriate authority. Usually leads to non sequitur fallacy. (Since I was SUCH a great high school football player, who likely sat on the bench, I know what I am talking about!)
  5. Post Hoc – causation simply because one followed the other. (I know, I mean I KNOW, that false start early in the second quarter, led to another Iowa score late in the fourth. Dog-gonnit Cotton!)
  6. Hasty Generalizations – a conclusion is reached with too few or isolated examples. (After K-State: T-Magic WILL lead us to a big win over Texas, and a national title baby!!!! What's that do you smell Heisman!)
  7. Slippery Slope – that taking a step will lead to serious and undesirable consequences. (Popular as of late: If we fire/retain Bo, we become Kansas. Mediocrity!!!!)
  8. Red Herring – intentionally or unintentionally misleading or distracting from the real issue. (The reason I am so mad is not because my wife left me and my father never loved me, it is because the Huskers lost to Iowa!!!!)
  9. No True Scotsman - arguing that a true "native" would never allow such an action to occur. (Read any of the posts in the last 4 days).

Now I will be the first to say that I have engaged in my fair share of these on the board, but I really think it is time for Husker fans to try and come together. I mean come on...we all still hate Missery right? Let's wallow together, swallow our pride (along with a healthy portion of whiskey), and cheer on Auburn this weekend. When that is done, we will likely find out that we will play Texass and we can all get behind that one too. If you don't like Bo, get behind the team. If you are a Bo-liever, smile when a Bo-leaver says something cranky about Bo...they want the same thing as you. They just believe in a different method!