ESPN Bias to B1G

Creed

Always in the back of my mind and discussed a lot on various boards but it has been in my mind a lot the last few days. Now ESPN is a $2.5 B partner with the SEC and competes with the BTN on some level and I am sure they see the B1G as the biggest competition (in terms of revenue) to their beloved SEC.

The last few weeks on the BCS countdown have been focused on who should jump Ohio State, the B1G is at an all-time low, OSU is like ND last year, etc. Then we get the B1G-ACC challenge the last couple days. After day 1, the main ESPN page had links to ACC wins and continuously made mention of the ACC's success in the early years of the Challenge. After the B1G tied up the challenge yesterday, the main ESPN page had a pic of the NC team and 3 links to NC's win over MSU, how Roy always tops Izzo, etc and one link titled "Roundup". No mention on the front page of any of the B1G's wins or how the B1G had a successful day 2 to even up the score.

Also noticed over the years, any negative story of OSU would be covered ad nauseam for days and a negative story on an SEC teams would appear briefly then be off their CFB page within a day.

Thoughts?

They talked about Tattoo-gate for months; I dare ESPN to touch the DJ Fluker story.

What exactly is the Fluker story??

It came out a few months ago including documentation that Fluker, a couple Tenn players (one was kicked off team for it) and maybe a Miss State player took improper benefits from an agent. It would have made Fluker ineligible for the 2012 NCG and Bama would have to vacate the win.

They talked about Tattoo-gate for months; I dare ESPN to touch the DJ Fluker story.

What exactly is the Fluker story??

It came out a few months ago including documentation that Fluker, a couple Tenn players (one was kicked off team for it) and maybe a Miss State player took improper benefits from an agent. It would have made Fluker ineligible for the 2012 NCG and Bama would have to vacate the win.

Ok I do remember that now. Interesting that there was nothing done about it.

They hit Johnny Manziel pretty hard with no solid evidence he took any money.

FWIW the circumstantial evidence was pretty strong and the story quickly went away after the NCAA ruling came out, except for the "money gestures" JM during a couple games.

Has there been any interviews of JM since then? Is he permitted to talk to the press? Not just the local press inquiring about his wins over Sam Houston State and SMU. I just wonder what public statements he has made about not directly or indirectly being compensated for his autograph.

In their defense, unranked UNC beating #1 MSU is kinda a big deal.

On the basketball front, this is true.

I do find it funny how they cover OSU during the whole tattoo fiasco but they don't care to touch some of the other fishy stuff going on at other schools.

They sent an investigative reporter to Cbus. Can't remember her name but this female reporter would NOT leave former Buckeyes(from the Cooper era too) alone. Calling them, hounding them because ESPiN would not let her come back without a story.

I just wonder if they have invested that kind of time looking into tattoos and memorabilia for the rape cases and the improper benefits cases in the south.

Bama coach gives Clinton-Dix money and that is pushed under the rug.

Cam Newton? His Dad Admitted to asking for cash. no biggy

Ole Miss getting top players and no one finds it funny as to how they are doing this(and its not like they have some amazing coach with a big name ).

Les Miles passing the decision to the players to see if they want to let a player with a serious sexual charge play. No story.

I'm just sick of the inconsistency. I know for a fact that these cfb rules dont exist down there but for the national media to turn the other cheek and to ignore these things is embarrassing.

The Big Ten has been getting some decent pub on ESPiN the past few years. Obviously because they have to sell the Tuesday night matchups

It isn't all just a big conspiracy, The Big Ten is obviously pretty good at Bball and not the best in football. The on the field/court product shows that.

ESPiN was gushing over the Big Ten last year to a point that it made even me sick. And it was pretty good bball. almost had a national champ and 4 Sweet 16 teams.

But Football got A TON worse perception-wise around the same time BTN started in 2007. perfect storm with the famous loss to Appy State? maybe. The OSU national title losses weren't all that dissimilar to OU's national title losses and the USC one was worse.

I'm not a Dan Patrick fan but it is no secret that they tried to destroy him when he left. The Big Ten hasn't helped itself but its not a big secret whats going on.

The Big Ten has been getting some decent pub on ESPiN the past few years. Obviously because they have to sell the Tuesday night matchups

It isn't all just a big conspiracy, The Big Ten is obviously pretty good at Bball and not the best in football. The on the field/court product shows that.

ESPiN was gushing over the Big Ten last year to a point that it made even me sick. And it was pretty good bball. almost had a national champ and 4 Sweet 16 teams.

But Football got A TON worse perception-wise around the same time BTN started in 2007. perfect storm with the famous loss to Appy State? maybe. The OSU national title losses weren't all that dissimilar to OU's national title losses and the USC one was worse.

I'm not a Dan Patrick fan but it is no secret that they tried to destroy him when he left. The Big Ten hasn't helped itself but its not a big secret whats going on.

This is a fair statement, while ESPN rags on Big Ten football to an absurd degree, it does pimp basketball pretty well. I remember them saying that the Big Ten was the elite conference in basketball about five times every hour last year.