"What If..."

Chimalli

I think Pelini still would have gotten the job, unless LSU made a better offer and promoted him to HC in Miles' place. The Miles to Michigan rumors happened at the same time that LSU was getting ready for the championship game, while NU was also firing Callahan.

As soon as Pederson was fired, it was a foregone conclusion in many fans' minds that Callahan would follow at the end of the season, and Pelini and Gill were immediately the popular choices are far as fan speculation went, even before anyone knew LSU would be in the title game.

When Pelini was hired, Osborne mentioned that one of the main factors in hiring Pelini over Gill was that it was the defense that needed the greatest overhaul. Whether or not LSU made the title game did not change that. Pelini still would have been here.

Gill is still all NEBRASKA and still reps the Husker brand with 100% class, one thing IMO that is for sure is that there would be no on field tirade/meltdowns all of us have come accustomed with now. Looking back at the roster from the '08 - '09 seasons, all most anyone could have went 8 - 4 with the roster at that time (except the guy we fired).

With the cupboard empty of Callahan's recruits Bo's defense has been moderately successful to downright embarrassing these last two seasons. It seems like a 50-50 shot Turner Gill could have done the same thing. Plus, Nebraska would have had it's first Black coach which would have been awesome. Kansas did Gill dirty.

I honestly think that Gill would have taken us all the way. He took over a Kansas program that was sinking fast. Sorry, don't care much about Mangini's Orange Bowl year when they had the schedule strength of Alcorn St. Sorry. The cupboard at Kansas was bone dry when he arrived. Gill showed at Buffalo that he could build. Would love to have seen his calm, Osborne-like demeanor running the program. I'm not anti-Bo, I just think that Gill could have done well.

I don't know. If we come up with all these crazy reasons to defend Bo after winning 7 FCS games against teams with a total of 13 conference wins just because he "gets the Nebraska way", what would we do for a former legend on the field? It would be terrible, he could go 4-8 and our fans would defend him.

I honestly think that Gill would have taken us all the way. He took over a Kansas program that was sinking fast. Sorry, don't care much about Mangini's Orange Bowl year when they had theschedule strength of Alcorn St Nebraska in 2013. Sorry. The cupboard at Kansas was bone dry when he arrived. Gill showed at Buffalo that he could build. Would love to have seen his calm, Osborne-like demeanor running the program. I'm not anti-Bo, I just think that Gill could have done well.

FIFY

I was leaning towards Paul Johnson back then. I was torn between Gill and Bo. But I think Gill would have done as well if not better than Bo - if he had hired a good DC and OC. Bo is trying to be both HC and DC and he has a rookie OC. I see Gill has more of a steady hand over the program - no big emotional ups and downs and tirades. Maybe the players would be less up and down and ready for the big games wt Gill's personality - a calm confidence. All speculation now.

Please refresh potential candidates just after Solich was fired.

I know.......

- Nutt

- Callahan. Never heard of him before :dunno

- KC Chiefs defensive coach

- Dallas Cowboys defensive coach

- I think Urban Meyer who turned down right away (not interesting)

- Dan Hawkins, I admit he was a top candidate :bad

- Nebraska defensive coach named Mark "Bo" Pelini

What if Coach Frothingham had not owned a football in 1890 and had only owned badminton shuttlecocks? We wouldn't have soundly thrashed the Omaha YMCA team (10 - 0) on November 27th of that year. (I wonder if that was a day after Thanksgiving game). We could very well have ended up a mid major school known for badminton rather than one of the Top 10 football schools in the BCS. Those boys from the Omaha YMCA might now be the Alabama of the Big 10?

I like "what if"s......and wikipedia