It's good to be rich in Texas

The outrage I see some folks having disheartens me. It's like they don't want to know WHY the judge sentenced the kid to probation or IF the sentence is even out of the ordinary to begin with.

--

Curiosity is being replaced with convenience.

this is kind of funny, though. because you are just as guilty as relying on 'convenience' than curiosity.

you are reading more into what has been reported, yet you have not demonstrated any reason to doubt that reporting other than it is possible that the judge did not consider the bogus 'affluenza' or that the judge would have sentenced the way he did regardless.

My point is we don't know what the judge weighed in his decision. We only have the prosecutors/victims version of events and our own biases to fill in the blanks.

I'm curious to know if the sentence is typical of the situation or if it was extraordinary.

I'm curious to know if the judge explained his ruling.

I'm curious to know if the sentence is typical of the situation or if it was extraordinary.

but you are assuming that the 'affluenza' was not necessarily relevant to his sentencing and that this may be a standard sentence?

would that be your bias filling in the blank? carlfense did post an example of a sentence a juvenile received for manslaughter by the same judge.

but you are assuming that the 'affluenza' was not necessarily relevant to his sentencing and that this may be a standard sentence?

would that be your bias filling in the blank? carlfense did post an example of a sentence a juvenile received for manslaughter by the same judge.

It's hard to self-diagnose your own biases, so maybe.

I generally have respect for judges and very little respect for news reporters.

A judge weighs many things we'll never know about that are revealed in a case.

A news reporter grabs whatever tidbit makes the best headline and shapes a story around it.

---

This has been picked up nationally, so much more is coming out...

Maybe we'll see a transcript of the ruling..or the judge's explanation.

My point is we don't know what the judge weighed in his decision.

Which is different (and certainly more defensible) than what you were claiming previously.

She (I think) has not and I would be somewhat surprised if she does in the future.

My point is we don't know what the judge weighed in his decision.

Which is different (and certainly more defensible) than what you were claiming previously.

She (I think) has not and I would be somewhat surprised if she does in the future.

She could have a crush on Anderson Cooper - so who knows.

While the victims families will mourn the loss of their loved ones for the rest of their lives, all this kid has to do is obey the law for the next 10 years. Which is what he should be doing anyway. But clearly that is difficult to do when you come from a family of money.

Seems like an even trade.

You prefer lex talionis?

While the victims families will mourn the loss of their loved ones for the rest of their lives, all this kid has to do is obey the law for the next 10 years. Which is what he should be doing anyway. But clearly that is difficult to do when you come from a family of money.

Seems like an even trade.

You prefer lex talionis?

I prefer the punishment fit the crime. I don't think that is too much to ask.

• Fire 1

My roommate in college had a cousin that got 3 yrs in prison for vehicular manslaughter in Texas. The story on it was he was heading home from an outing with some friends and ran head on into a car coming the other way. The other driver died from injuries and was the one that swerved in front of my friends cousin. He got charged with the crime because he had alcohol in his system even though it was within tolerance to drive. The other guy was shown to be twice the legal limit. I really want to believe in the justice system but more and more stories are coming out like the one this thread is about that make me doubt it.

"Affluenza?" Thats the dumbest sh#t ive ever heard and any psycowhatever that uses it as an excuse for a kid should be flogged. Copout bullsh#t! Say what it really is! Poor parenting.

Can parents really stop their 16 yo from getting wasted and driving? Not really. But, can the parents instill in the kid work ethic and make sure they dont have a sense of entitlement? Yes. Parents are so easy on their kids these days its ridiculous. I refuse to be that parent. I show tough love. Teach a lesson when its due and show love when its due. My mom accuses me of being too hard ass and i have to remind her i am parenting just the way her and my dad did me and i feel i turned out okay. It seems when you become a grandparent you soften i guess.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

"You're not getting out of jail today," State District Judge Wayne Salvant told the Texas teen, sentencing him to 720 days — one 180-day sentence for each of the four victims he killed in a June 2013 drunk-driving accident.

Couch, who turned 19 on Monday, received 10 years' probation in juvenile court following the car crash. He was accused of violating the terms of his juvenile probation after a video surfaced online last December that appeared to show him at a party where alcohol was served. He and his mother fled to Mexico, evading authorities for several weeks.

Link