Espn says we lost out in the realignment

To the university the academics are more important. To a football fan the football is more important. Let's be honest, Nebraskans don't spend millions on the football team because we want the biochemistry department to improve.

That's not what you said in what I quoted.

I guess we could sit down and weigh the consequences of the move for each individual aspect of the university, but that's not generally how we approach discussion here in the Husker Football section of this Husker Football forum

We'll....reality is and always will be that there are certain things from time to time that the sports program does or is required to do because it is tied to an educational institution.

If someone doesn't like that then the option is to find an NFL team to root for and all you have to worry about is decisions made to benefit the football team.

We'll....reality is and always will be that there are certain things from time to time that the sports program does or is required to do because it is tied to an educational institution.

If someone doesn't like that then the option is to find an NFL team to root for and all you have to worry about is decisions made to benefit the football team.

The naïveté in this statement is astounding. Especially if you really think the University of Nebraska has a history of doing things that benefitted the greater good of academics over football.

For the 90=95% that felt Nebraska would dominate upon moving to the Big 10, you know who you are. How do you feel the move has worked out. Have you seen improvement in the product on the field, overall results that you expected? Of that group, most had Bo winning a MNC by now, again you know who you are. The thing I see is that group has continuously supported the staff, no matter the results. some break away for a few days, then they go back to saying the same things. Next year, the schedule will be easier, the stars align for us.

I have seen some improvement in some areas, but in the area that I thought Bo would be better in, he has not been that good nor has improved on a steady climb. Que the 9 win crap. Losses have been regular, with the same problems, the same blow outs, now going to lessor teams.

So my question, what do you see that truly gives you hope the corner will be turned. Where do you see the expected improvement, which coaches, which players?

I want to believe we are making headway, moving forward, but I just do not see it. I see a slow steady spiral down. How do the most dedicated see this turning around?

So my question, what do you see that truly gives you hope the corner will be turned. Where do you see the expected improvement, which coaches, which players?

I want to believe we are making headway, moving forward, but I just do not see it. I see a slow steady spiral down. How do the most dedicated see this turning around?

Hasn't this question been answered a few times?

No, never answered. I keep hearing recruiting, we are ranked 32 or there abouts. We are out recruited significantly by the top 15 programs every single year, how is this a strong point.

Where and how do the coaches improve, where have they improved? We do not see changes on the field with play calling, fumbles, interceptions and basic football. I saw a team basically kill itself against Michigan State. What did we gain from that game, where was the improvement in it from the prior games. We were beaten by a descent Minnesota team, is that team more talented, better coached. We need a hail marry to beat a winless Northwestern in the last second of the game. Were they better coached, that much deeper in talent than Nebraska. Why do these things happen in year 6 and what shows it will change in year 7?

I have grown tired of your one liners that state something in general, but never ever answers the question.

And I believe that my point was, when evaluating what the move meant for the football program, that any other details including academics are irrelevant. That was literally the entire point of my post.

We moved to the Big Ten for stability.

We moved to the B1G because we didn't want the one team that owned us controlling us.

No, never answered. I keep hearing recruiting, we are ranked 32 or there abouts.

Our class is not filled yet. You ask for areas of improvement, which have been mentioned many many times. I think most are aware of what happened this season. The current 8-4 record is disappointing......as Pelini has said. Our offensive issues this season were unexpected. But our offensive line showed good performance and depth....and reduced penalties. It allowed Abdullah to have a magnificent season. We've got to have better play from the quarterback position. I don't think that's any secret. Now, is any of that stuff that we didn't already know? And that we didn't already know Pelini and staff are addressing?

not quite foppa. Fans may think that but the people making the decisions don't. Texas was looking at the Pac-10 to move to while bringing along with them the whole south division. Just because Texas was toying with us doesn't mean we didn't take it seriously. better to be proactive than reactive in that kind of situation. As soon as Texas did that we started looking elsewhere to find a home that was more stable.

And nobody gives a flying f#*k what our academic rankings are in next year's US News and World Report. Great, so we have the 90th ranked business college. So what. More of the state's reputation and economy rides on the performance of this football team than anything else (sadly to say, I guess). And we're on a Husker Football message board to discuss FOOTBALL, not academic rankings or other crap that nobody cares about. So when I say this move was bad for the program, I mean this move was bad for the program. I am not speaking about the university as a whole or the volleyball program or anything else. You wanna talk football? Let's talk football. Tom Osborne wasn't sitting in the Big 12 conference meetings discussing media right to volleyball or academic standards. No, football drove this move.

Football doesn't drive the Big Ten like other conferences. Big Ten is first academic. then football would be secondary. I mean that's how maryland and rutgers got it in. based on academics and geography. it certainly hell wasn't their football teams. I think some Husker fans don't understand this concept about the Big Ten. I mean 11 of the 13 schools are considered public ivies. Only us and Purdue aren't while Univ of Chicago is the other school.

And nobody gives a flying f#*k what our academic rankings are in next year's US News and World Report. Great, so we have the 90th ranked business college. So what. More of the state's reputation and economy rides on the performance of this football team than anything else (sadly to say, I guess). And we're on a Husker Football message board to discuss FOOTBALL, not academic rankings or other crap that nobody cares about. So when I say this move was bad for the program, I mean this move was bad for the program. I am not speaking about the university as a whole or the volleyball program or anything else. You wanna talk football? Let's talk football. Tom Osborne wasn't sitting in the Big 12 conference meetings discussing media right to volleyball or academic standards. No, football drove this move.

Football doesn't drive the Big Ten like other conferences. Big Ten is first academic. then football would be secondary. I mean that's how maryland and rutgers got it in. based on academics and geography. it certainly hell wasn't their football teams. I think some Husker fans don't understand this concept about the Big Ten. I mean 11 of the 13 schools are considered public ivies. Only us and Purdue aren't while Univ of Chicago is the other school.

Considered by whom? Wisconsin is a public Ivy League school? PSU, Indiana, Illinois, Ohio State, Michigan State, Minnesota, Iowa? Utterly ridiculous. Northwestern has that reputation and that's it.

Wisconsin is one of the top 5-7 public research institutions in the United States. It is a research juggernaut. Illinois, Michigan, Northwestern, Ohio State, Penn State, Minnesota are also absolute powerhouses in academic research. The B1G is a an extraordinary academic conference --- no other conference (of major sports prominence) is even close.

The naïveté in this statement is astounding. Especially if you really think the University of Nebraska has a history of doing things that benefitted the greater good of academics over football.

Why is it naive. I didn't say every decision was based on what is best for academics. I said from time to time there are things from academics that affect the program. That is true at every institution.

Now, part of this decision was based on academics. Fine with me. There are other parts of it that were based on football and I'm fine with that decision too. I have absolutely no desire to still be in the Texas conference.

We are better off where we are. We just have to improve so we are back in the national discussion.

Wisconsin is one of the top 5-7 public research institutions in the United States. It is a research juggernaut. Illinois, Michigan, Northwestern, Ohio State, Penn State, Minnesota are also absolute powerhouses in academic research. The B1G is a an extraordinary academic conference --- no other conference (of major sports prominence) is even close.

This is all true except the part about no conference coming close. The ACC is actually equal if not better.

No, never answered. I keep hearing recruiting, we are ranked 32 or there abouts.

Our class is not filled yet. You ask for areas of improvement, which have been mentioned many many times. I think most are aware of what happened this season. The current 8-4 record is disappointing......as Pelini has said. Our offensive issues this season were unexpected. But our offensive line showed good performance and depth....and reduced penalties. It allowed Abdullah to have a magnificent season. We've got to have better play from the quarterback position. I don't think that's any secret. Now, is any of that stuff that we didn't already know? And that we didn't already know Pelini and staff are addressing?

Good show Pelini and Co. are addressing it then. Should be solved somewhere around Halley's Comet returning, seeing as how he was addressing the fumbling issue back in 2010.

Probably just needs more time and a contract extension.

Why is it naive. I didn't say every decision was based on what is best for academics. I said from time to time there are things from academics that affect the program. That is true at every institution.

Now, part of this decision was based on academics. Fine with me. There are other parts of it that were based on football and I'm fine with that decision too. I have absolutely no desire to still be in the Texas conference.

We are better off where we are. We just have to improve so we are back in the national discussion.

It's naive because your argument is touching on the "Bo needs to stay because his players graduate" argument, and that the move to the B1G was predominantly for academics.

Both counts are wrong--Nebraska went to the Big Ten for money. Anyone who says otherwise is incorrect. And our University has a long history of shirking academic requirements for athletics. That is not to say the University doesn't produce good men and women, its possible to have both.