Espn says we lost out in the realignment

"Wisconsin is one of the top 5-7 public research institutions in the United States. It is a research juggernaut. Illinois, Michigan, Northwestern, Ohio State, Penn State, Minnesota are also absolute powerhouses in academic research. The B1G is a an extraordinary academic conference --- no other conference (of major sports prominence) is even close."

The Pac 12 would argue, but that's not the point. Those schools may indeed be juggernauts (I agree), but they're not considered public ivy league schools.

Wisconsin...llinois, Michigan, Northwestern, Ohio State, Penn State, Minnesota are also absolute powerhouses in academic research.

The Pac 12 would argue, but that's not the point. Those schools may indeed be juggernauts (I agree), but they're not considered public ivy league schools.

Actually, each one of those schools is considered a Public Ivy (obviously excluding Northwestern) and in every meaningful metric the B1G is better than the PAC 12...especially in research. It isn't even close to arguable.

RwFM3LG.jpg

The BIG TEN still has cache. The problem is that the rest of the league took a step backwards and the current flagship Ohio State keeps losing the big game. If nebraska had come in and been dominant, they would have went right back up to the top of the college football world, but that hasn't happened either.

Nebraska still has a great brand. Certainly top ten and some would argue top five. Like Notre Dame, the old ghosts will wake back up when Nebraska starts winning and competing for national championships again.

I think it was a goo move by Nebraska, especially with Texas stacking the deck. Same for TAMU.

Wisconsin...llinois, Michigan, Northwestern, Ohio State, Penn State, Minnesota are also absolute powerhouses in academic research.

Actually, each one of those schools is considered a Public Ivy (obviously excluding Northwestern) and in every meaningful metric the B1G is better than the PAC 12...especially in research. It isn't even close to arguable.

RwFM3LG.jpg

Considered by whom? Ask anybody not in academia and they'll look at you like you're from the moon when you talk about "public" ivies. The Ivy League is the Ivy League. It's all about perception. Public Ivy is akin to the world's tallest midget.

BTW, you're citing wikifreakinpedia.

The Big 10 West division looks roughly as menacing as a worm in an aardvark turd.

And for the people pretending to care so much about academics, why are we not tracking the actual important things that stem from graduating from college, like average time it takes to get a full-time job after graduation, average starting salary, average life satisfaction after five years, etc? I'm all for everyone getting a solid education, but to pretend like we are really that concerned with whether Matt Manninger was able to use his degree to find a good paying job is silly. From the fans perspective, academics is something pointed to when the product on the field starts to suck.

RwFM3LG.jpg

Considered by whom? Ask anybody not in academia and they'll look at you like you're from the moon when you talk about "public" ivies. The Ivy League is the Ivy League. It's all about perception. Public Ivy is akin to the world's tallest midget.

Wikipedia has it's issues but the quality of its content increases greatly when cited and the table and wiki's public ivy page are all backed up with citations to the appropriate sources.

As far as the importance of the term you brought it up like it's some big thing saying "Those schools may indeed be juggernauts (I agree), but they're not considered public ivy league schools." Well, by at least one definition they are public ivies. If you don't care for the term why did you bother using it?

I agree that the term by itself means little. It's just an informal honor given by an unofficial source to say that "these are the best of the public schools" which most B1G schools are. Are they, pound for pound, as good as the true Ivies? No but that doesn't matter, those are tiny private schools in the northeast...pretty irrelevant to a football/realignment conversation and unattainable for most.

None of this really matters though, the real point is that the Big Ten has some of the best public schools in the nation and better schools, academically, than any other FBS conference and with the CIC that actually means something.

ESPN is a direct competitor to the Big Ten Network. The Big Ten Network currently poses one of the biggest threats to ESPN's billions of dollars per year college football industry.

ESPN rates our move to the Big Ten poorly?

Color me surprised.

Tell me how it is a direct competitor when the BTN gets the stupid leftovers that no one wants to watch? Indiana vs Purdue etc... ESPN can laugh at BTN. Espn has a direct competitor in Fox Sports but not a regional network like BTN.

RwFM3LG.jpg

I'd say schools like Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State are very close to some ivy league schools in terms of rankings and research. Example: Penn has a research budget of $914 million. Michigan and Wisconsin easily top that, with osu and u of m trailing by not very much. Also, Penn is pretty much the greatest business school on this planet, #1 on the USNews rankings, however UM is right at #2 with another B1G school, IU, at #10. The big ten is a close as you can get to the ivy league w/o being a private school