Evaluation so far

Ok. We are done with out of conference games.

Edit: forgot we have one more game with Cincinnati.

How does everyone feel? I think we have one less loss than we had last year. I haven't studied it but I think our schedule was slightly tougher.

I personally still feel we have much more athleticism on the team but I thought we would be playing better as a team by this time in the season.

Still going to be gun seeing them play conference. Hopefully they continue to improve as the reason goes on and we can be competitive in some big games.

Offensive has struggled more than I thought they would. I believed that Shields and Gallegos would play more of a hand in the scoring then they have. Defensively, they need size. We knew that coming in but it'll be glaring in conference play. Overall, the team has a lot of room to grow which is frustrating and exciting at the same time. Their most complete performance as of now is against FGCU and if they played like that consistently, they'd be in much better shape. I've said a lot that we won't see much improvement in record from last year, but we should see better basketball, especially at the end of the year if the team comes together like I think they will.

We were 9-4 OOC last year. 8-3 this year with probably a tough game at 9-2 Cincy. Pretty much the same as last year. Looked really good a couple times and looked really bad a couple times.

Last year we played eight B1G teams that were ranked at the time we played then in the regular season. We only have five on the schedule right now so possibly a slightly easier conference schedule but we're so up and down and our rebounding is poor and assists are terrible so I'm not holding my breath just yet.

Record is about where I'd guessed.

The athleticism and potential is markedly improved (but we knew that going in)

My biggest concern right now is the inconsistency and not being ready to play at the beginning. (we can only blame youth for that for so long)

Still don't seem to have a settled rotation that trusts each other enough.

The assists issue is frustrating. I remember our high school coach ( who is in the Nebraska hall of fame) during a year where we has the same problem making the team pass the ball 4 times before someone takes a shot.

It made the players think about passing and getting someone tend best shot.

Was your coach Norman Dale?

• 3 weeks later...

I see a team of a lot of young talented guys playing their first season with each other and it shows. College basketball has really become about team. Even teams like Kentucky with all the godlike talent they have have their struggles. College ball has moved towards the realm that as a coach, you need to be able to find your grouping that give you the best chemistry. We're still discovering that. Pretty sure it's gonna continue to improve. That was neck and neck with a team that returned 3 of 5 starters just 8 months removed from playing for the National Championship.

I said before the season that we could be a better team but not have a better record than last year.

Now, I think we have probably have better players but I'm not sure we have a better team. And we might have to hurry to get back to the same record.

Exactly what I said before the season. You are spot on. Better players, better athletes; better pieces. But still to prove they are a better TEAM.

(btw, if Ubel had taken a redshirt, I believe his senior leadership and having another Big down low, would make a huge difference in this year as a TEAM and with a better record.)

I get frustrated with being a year away. I see a young team that is going to get better.

Pettaway has been great. Webster has been awafull, but seems to be improving. Biggs has been good and deserves more minnutes. Smith has been good. Pitchford has not impressed me. Gallegos is what he is. Shields could be more consistent, and to a lesser extent is what he is.

A young, inexperienced team with greater talent than NU has had it quite a while. Struggling to find a way to finish games.