Media access and Nebraska Football

NUpolo8

Back to the original topic.

Bo shuts out the media from talking to the assistants.

Not a terrible idea. Coach steps up. Answers the hard questions and allows the assistants to focus all of their energy on getting the guys ready to play without having to worry about what Reporter "A" might say about strategy "X".

The problem with this is that the one voice is... Bo Pelini's voice. The man could take anything and make it sound worse than what it may be in reality. I have said this before but Bo could make a one-loss season, that coming in a bowl game against an unbeaten team by a FG and make it sound awful and terrible. He could scream at the sideline reporter at the half, blame the officials. Claim it was all on their players and lack of execution. And it would be a total drag.

There are coaches out there, believe it or not, that could make this 8-4 season sound like a great achievement and in doing so unify the fans behind the program and create an envirement where nay sayers look like jerk wads.

Bo CAN NOT do that. He can't do it today. He won't do it next year.

And because of those truths, it quite frankly doesn't matter which assistants, if any, that the reporters get to question.

"There were times when (media) took things maybe out of context, and people started making assumptions based on what somebody said," said Pelini.

This is the reason for potential changes to media access. By the way, media has been given full access to Gator Bowl practices and workouts. Watch and make your own observations.

Pelini, by the way, makes it clear he believes in his staff. He likes its chemistry. He plans no changes in coaching personnel.

"You're always looking for ways to get better," he said. "If you ever did tweak anything for any reason, it's just to look for ways to make you better."

I would like a quote or video of Pelini saying he has no plans to make changes to coaching personnel. Otherwise, this conclusion made by the writer (media) is quite fitting for the article and Pelini's reservations.

... or we could just compare him to Kiffen. :ahhhhhhhh

You want a quote or video of Bo saying this??? This is the same man who issued TWO written apologizes to the fan base in the SAME season. He did not have the courage to make his statements in front of a camera then, what makes you think he would say anything now?

Yep. Would anyone actually be surprised if Bo makes these changes with the media and refuses to make coaching changes? That seems to fit him perfectly. Sad to think that we will probably have to endure at least one more season of this.

Bo wasn't exactly 'hit' by coaching changes. He made those decisions himself. He has the staff he wants here.

:dunno

So which is it?

Well, we're different people, but in a way it's both. Bo has been loyal (some would say to a fault) to his guys unless they get into trouble outside of the office. The only exception that I can think of without looking further was not one of his guys.

We should know in less than a week, right? Hang tight. Again . . . this is one of those situations where we will find out who is right and who is wrong soon enough.

What will our excuse be next year, I wonder? Can Bo keep making assistant coaching changes to buy himself more time??

Young quarterback. (Just wait and see how good Stanton is going to be in 2015!) Young offensive line. (There is so much talent there but it won't be playing to its potential until next year!) Bad luck. (The ball always bounces the wrong way for us.) The media is out to get Bo. (poor, poor Bo.)

There will probably be some that I'm not expecting . . . but the only thing that would actually surprise me is an absence of excuses.

• Fire 2

What will our excuse be next year, I wonder? Can Bo keep making assistant coaching changes to buy himself more time??

Young quarterback. (Just wait and see how good Stanton is going to be in 2015!) Young offensive line. (There is so much talent there but it won't be playing to its potential until next year!) Bad luck. (The ball always bounces the wrong way for us.) The media is out to get Bo. (poor, poor Bo.)

There will probably be some that I'm not expecting . . . but the only thing that would actually surprise me is an absence of excuses.

All of the above. Especially the media. The media and fan expectations are so much worse at Nebraska than anywhere else.

As an aside, I'd be willing to lay down decent money on Stanton being the starter in 2014. I just don't see "it" from Armstrong.

All of the above. Especially the media. The media and fan expectations are so much worse at Nebraska than anywhere else.

As an aside, I'd be willing to lay down decent money on Stanton being the starter in 2014. I just don't see "it" from Armstrong.

The difference between Nebraska being a 9 win team versus an 11 win team is our quarterback play. I have no idea if Stanton will be the answer or not......but Martinez, Armstrong and Kellogg have all proven similar in turning the ball over, whether by fumble or INT.

The difference between Nebraska being a 9 win team versus an 11 win team is our quarterback play. I have no idea if Stanton will be the answer or not......but Martinez, Armstrong and Kellogg have all proven similar in turning the ball over, whether by fumble or INT.

I wouldn't go that far. A decent defense also give us wins against UCLA (up 21-3) and Minnesota (up 10-0).

I'm assuming that was sarcasm.

I wouldn't go that far. A decent defense also give us wins against UCLA (up 21-3) and Minnesota (up 10-0).

A decent defense will help any game.....I think that's obvious. After the UCLA loss, Pelini was critical of our offense for good reason. That's when it became noticeable Martinez lacked the mobility that makes or breaks him as a quarterback. Minnesota and Iowa beat us in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Our run defense has to get better, and Pelini has seemingly recruited well to make that happen. Our potential in our front 7 is as good as it's been in a decade. Our turnover margin is hurting us.....and the quarterback position has been the primary culprit.

Yep. Would anyone actually be surprised if Bo makes these changes with the media and refuses to make coaching changes? That seems to fit him perfectly. Sad to think that we will probably have to endure at least one more season of this.

Bo wasn't exactly 'hit' by coaching changes. He made those decisions himself. He has the staff he wants here.

:dunno

So which is it?

Really don't see anything contradictory there. Bo's had six years to make all the staff changes he wants, every year, and he's done it both infrequently and with mixed results. I mean, the 2010 purge is the only major one I can think of, and that was the call to chase Shawn Watson out of here. Bo's job is to put together an outstanding staff here at Nebraska and it's never been an elite one. So, going forward with total confidence and zero staff changes after this year really is par for course.

• Fire 3

2012 only had 17 commits which is a reason why it was lower. 14 out of the 17 played this season. Most with significant amount of time. One was kicked off the team (Thomas Brown). The other two are offensive lineman and you normally don't see them playing until Jr. year unless they are amazing. Id say we got a pretty good ROI from that class.

2013 you are just plain wrong. Our composite is 18. I don't know how you got that number when our worst ranking out of the four was 23 and our best was 11, with Rivals ranking us in the middle at 17.

Getting it from here

http://247sports.com/Season/2013-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

The conference change excuse doesn't wash. The style of play between the Big 10 & 12 isn't hugely different, and any differences would present advantages along with disadvantages. If you recruited and coached to this Big 10 style of play, that would still leave 4 non-conference game and hopefully a major bowl game in which you'd be what....unprepared?...for a different level of physicality? Play selection? It's still football, and you get to decide what type of team you want to be. Balanced offenses and physical defenses tend to succeed in any conference.

As the more stable and respected conference, the Big 10 move worked to our favor for recruiting and pretty much everything else, and I don't think there's much argument that we entered the BIG at one of its weakest moments.

Everything that concerns Husker fans about the performance of the team and its coach sounds like the same concerns expressed when we were losing four games a season in the Big 12.

• Fire 2

Not always, but a big part of that is the letdown of the o-line, injuries or no injuries. Having no time to pass, nowhere to run, and getting blindsided tends to create problems.

The conference change excuse doesn't wash. The style of play between the Big 10 & 12 isn't hugely different, and any differences would present advantages along with disadvantages. If you recruited and coached to this Big 10 style of play, that would still leave 4 non-conference game and hopefully a major bowl game in which you'd be what....unprepared?...for a different level of physicality? Play selection? It's still football, and you get to decide what type of team you want to be. Balanced offenses and physical defenses tend to succeed in any conference.

As the more stable and respected conference, the Big 10 move worked to our favor for recruiting and pretty much everything else, and I don't think there's much argument that we entered the BIG at one of its weakest moments.

Everything that concerns Husker fans about the performance of the team and its coach sounds like the same concerns expressed when we were losing four games a season in the Big 12.

I guess I'll keep quoting this until it gets through to people:

"Is the style of play a little bit different [in the Big Ten]? In some ways yes, in some ways no. Football is football. You're going to win by the basics, the fundamentals. If you're good at those things, you're going to win football games, no matter who you're playing, no matter what conference you're in." -- Bo Pelini

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/15367452/confident-nebraska-team-makes-unofficial-debut-in-big-ten

• Fire 1