Why SEC Isn't As Great In Football As You Think

ladyhawke

Recruiting and coaching changes have a big part to do with uour success.

And why 1998? That's such an arbitrary number. I could say the Big 12 was dominant from 95-97. It was only recently, probably after the SEC won their 2nd or 3rd BCS Title that the "dominance" talk started.

It's not arbitrary. Its when the BCS started. And people were talking about SEC dominance that I know of, since 2006, when the only good win was Florida.

Go back the last 5-10 years and see how the bowl parings are stacked in SEC favor. SEC top 10 playing teams ranked 15+, SEC teams in Top 20 playing UR teams. Much of this has to do with the SEC being 3-4 teams deep and other conf being 2-3 teams deep combined with bowl alignments and BCS bowl selection system. SEC has gotten some BCS games paired with the likes of Cincy, Hawaii, Syracuse, Utah. It has been rare we have a top 10 SEC vs another top 10 bowl match up or top 20 vs top 20 so it's natural the SEC is going to dominate the bowls. SEC also has their gimmie bowl games vs C-USA, AAC and terrible ACC teams which inflates their record.

I will give them credit for 7 straight but there's been some luck along the way - not having to play USC back in their heyday, Ohio State in a rebuilding year backing into the NCG vs LSU, Okie state losing in 2011 setting up the LSU-Bama rematch, Texas' McCoy getting hurt on the opening series vs Bama, Oregon's speed being limited due to field issues, way overrated ND getting into the NCG, etc.

Go back the last 5-10 years and see how the bowl parings are stacked in SEC favor. SEC top 10 playing teams ranked 15+, SEC teams in Top 20 playing UR teams. Much of this has to do with the SEC being 3-4 teams deep and other conf being 2-3 teams deep combined with bowl alignments and BCS bowl selection system. SEC has gotten some BCS games paired with the likes of Cincy, Hawaii, Syracuse, Utah. It has been rare we have a top 10 SEC vs another top 10 bowl match up or top 20 vs top 20 so it's natural the SEC is going to dominate the bowls. SEC also has their gimmie bowl games vs C-USA, AAC and terrible ACC teams which inflates their record.

I will give them credit for 7 straight but there's been some luck along the way - not having to play USC back in their heyday, Ohio State in a rebuilding year backing into the NCG vs LSU, Okie state losing in 2011 setting up the LSU-Bama rematch, Texas' McCoy getting hurt on the opening series vs Bama, Oregon's speed being limited due to field issues, way overrated ND getting into the NCG, etc.

LSU drew Iowa, and it's not at all an uncommon pairing for the conference. Of course the SEC carries the better record. Last year Georgia was a few seconds from the NC, and they got paired with us, not exactly world beaters.

LSU drew Iowa, and it's not at all an uncommon pairing for the conference. Of course the SEC carries the better record. Last year Georgia was a few seconds from the NC, and they got paired with us, not exactly world beaters.

The SEC vs Big 10 matchups are either equal or the Big 10 is one higher in terms of rank/choice of games. If the matchups are unfair, that either shows the Big 10 is weak or the SEC is strong, or both. I mean, you said yourself that Georgia was a few seconds from the NC game, but they didn't even get a BCS bowl so they were the 3rd SEC team last year. Even if Ohio State is bowl eligible last year we're still in the same game since they'd have been the 2nd BCS bowl team in the Big 10.

Are you guys trying to argue that the SEC is not that strong, or that they are? It's getting hard to tell.

That team that was very close to playing for the NC (Georgia) almost got beat by that "not exactly world beater" team (Nebraska).

they weren't exactly that far apart last year.

Although, Georgia's problem wasn't injuries, it was the fact that their hands were all made of stone on big plays.

Umm....we had a guy drop a pretty easy TD pass. If you think Georgia lost that game b/c of a drop or two then i dont know what to say other than you either didnt watch the game or you just dont know what you are talking about.

Btw, since you seem to be a big SEC lover, how long have you been in the conference???

Although, Georgia's problem wasn't injuries, it was the fact that their hands were all made of stone on big plays.

Umm....we had a guy drop a pretty easy TD pass. If you think Georgia lost that game b/c of a drop or two then i dont know what to say other than you either didnt watch the game or you just dont know what you are talking about.

Btw, since you seem to be a big SEC lover, how long have you been in the conference???

His team has won 7 National Championships in a row.

Just the fact that Mizzou and A&M were more or less also-rans in the Big XII, but are forces in the SEC should speak volumes. 3 title game appearances between the two in memory serves. But the revisionist history is just crazy.

This is the most striking argument to me. If one or the other had come in and done well, you could call it a coincidence. But as both of them have beaten the top teams in the conference in their first two years, I think that's a pretty clear indication that the SEC isn't as head-and-shoulders above everyone else as is often portrayed.

It would be more striking if it were correct. It's 1, not 3. This stuff really is easy to look up, guys, no need to rely on a faulty memory. But I agree that Missouri stepping in and winning their division does make for a good argument, and A&M has fared well too.

Guessing he meant Big 12 title game appearances not SEC

Yeah, meant Big 12 title games. 2 from Mizzou when NU was at an all time low, KSU and CU were at 20 year lows. And A&M made theirs before Bob Stoops was at OU and before Mack Brown revived Texas.

Recruiting and coaching changes have a big part to do with uour success.

And why 1998? That's such an arbitrary number. I could say the Big 12 was dominant from 95-97. It was only recently, probably after the SEC won their 2nd or 3rd BCS Title that the "dominance" talk started.

What recruiting? You and Mizzou are winning with the guys who got recruited to play in the Big 12. Just stop with the revisionist history.

And the SEC has had 4 dominant teams. Not the whole conference. Alabama, LSU, Auburn and Florida account for all the titles. And two of the four have had losing seasons after a title too.

• Fire 1

Just the fact that Mizzou and A&M were more or less also-rans in the Big XII, but are forces in the SEC should speak volumes. 3 title game appearances between the two in memory serves. But the revisionist history is just crazy.

This is the most striking argument to me. If one or the other had come in and done well, you could call it a coincidence. But as both of them have beaten the top teams in the conference in their first two years, I think that's a pretty clear indication that the SEC isn't as head-and-shoulders above everyone else as is often portrayed.

It would be more striking if it were correct. It's 1, not 3. This stuff really is easy to look up, guys, no need to rely on a faulty memory. But I agree that Missouri stepping in and winning their division does make for a good argument, and A&M has fared well too.

Guessing he meant Big 12 title game appearances not SEC

Yeah, meant Big 12 title games. 2 from Mizzou when NU was at an all time low, KSU and CU were at 20 year lows. And A&M made theirs before Bob Stoops was at OU and before Mack Brown revived Texas.

That makes absolutely no sense to call A&M also-rans in the Big 12 and then talk about their 2 Big 12 championships (one very recent), and conclude this as some kind of proof against the SEC. None whatsoever. Sorry I let myself get dragged into this.