2014 Starting Roster vs. FL Atlantic based on the Gator Bowl two-deep

knapplc

I wouldn't be shocked if Ameer stays and Imani leaves to get more playing time at another College. I think Adam Taylor will jump into the number two spot ahead of Newby, but that is just my guess. Larenzo Stewart could also be in the mix for playing time during Cross's senior season. I personally love Imani and hope he stays, but if not wish him luck at the next program.

It has been discussed in other forums that Cross has stated he is not leaving. He loves it at NU.

That being said, Cross knew EXACTLY what the depth chart looked like when he came here and he still chose to be a part of this program. He could have gone somewhere else right from the beginning if he was that concerned about playing time.

Kids usually don't think about the depth in front of them when they look at colleges. They think that they can beat out any other player and that they won't be sitting much. That's why you see so many kids transfer after a year or two. These kids have been pampered and told how great they are for their whole life, and then when they have to face competition for playing time, they transfer as soon as they are beat out by someone better.

Are you saying Imani is one of those kids?

Because that's not what's going on at all.

Based SOLELY on the two-deep roster from the Gator Bowl, this is a projection of players/positions we could have next year. This doesn't take into account incoming Freshmen/JUCO, nor does it take into account players on the roster (like Johnny Stanton) who may contend for a starting spot, nor does it account for guys changing positions on the O Line. This is just a straight-up move from backup to starter after the seniors move on. If the starter wasn't a senior I left them in their position.

Years listed are what they WILL BE next season.

OFFENSE

QB

Tommy Armstrong, Jr. - SO

RB

Ameer Abdullah - SR

Imani Cross - JR

Terrell Newby - SO

FB

Andy Janovich - SO

Offensive Line

LT - Matt Finnin - SR

LG - Jake Cotton - SR / Ryne Reeves - JR

C - Mark Pelini - SR

RG - Mike Moudy - SR

RT - Zach Sterup - JR

Wide Receiver

X - Kenny Bell - SR / Brandon Reilly - SO

A - Jamal Turner - SR / Jordan Westerkamp - SO

Z - Alonzo Moore - SO / Taariq Allen - JR

Tight End

TE - Cethan Carter - SO

DEFENSE

Defensive Line

DE - Greg McMullen - SO

DT - Vincent Valentine - SO

DT - Aaron Curry - JR / Maliek Collins - SO

DE - Randy Gregory - SR JR / Avery Moss - SO

Linebackers

BUCK - David Santos - JR / Nathan Gerry - SO

MIKE - Michael Rose - SO / Josh Banderas - SO

WILL - Zaire Anderson - SR

Secondary

CB - Josh Mitchell - SR

S - Corey Cooper - SR / LeRoy Alexander - SO

S - Harvey Jackson - SR / Charles Jackson - JR

CB - Jonathon Rose - JR

The only guy missing from Special Teams is Pat Smith, otherwise it's an intact group:

PK - Mauro Bondi - JR

P - Sam Foltz - SO

LS - Gabriel Miller - FR / Joseph Rotherham - JR

H - Sam Foltz - SO

KO - Mauro Bondi - JR

KOR - Bell - SR; Abdullah - SR; Newby - SO; Moore - SO

PR - Westerkamp - SO; Terrell Newby - SO

Fourteen of the 36 guys listed here are Sophomores next year. That's a pretty young group. Still, quite a good-looking team.

I think you forgot Sam Cotton (TE) and Daniel Davie (CB) on this list. I know they were hurt, but I believe both played at least a little bit this season.

I rearranged your secondary a little bit and added a few extra names. I'm fairly sure DJ is a safety.

That is pretty exciting to think about. I love how much experience these young kids have and their potential for the future. Now, add in some guys who are redshirting this year and JUCO players committed and it gets even more exciting.

Secondary

CB - Josh Mitchell - SR / Daniel Davie / Boaz Joseph

S - Corey Cooper - SR / LeRoy Alexander - SO / Drake Martinez

S - Harvey Jackson - SR / Charles Jackson - JR / DJ Singleton

CB - Jonathon Rose - JR / Byerson Cockrell

I wouldn't be shocked if Ameer stays and Imani leaves to get more playing time at another College. I think Adam Taylor will jump into the number two spot ahead of Newby, but that is just my guess. Larenzo Stewart could also be in the mix for playing time during Cross's senior season. I personally love Imani and hope he stays, but if not wish him luck at the next program.

It has been discussed in other forums that Cross has stated he is not leaving. He loves it at NU.

That being said, Cross knew EXACTLY what the depth chart looked like when he came here and he still chose to be a part of this program. He could have gone somewhere else right from the beginning if he was that concerned about playing time.

Kids usually don't think about the depth in front of them when they look at colleges. They think that they can beat out any other player and that they won't be sitting much. That's why you see so many kids transfer after a year or two. These kids have been pampered and told how great they are for their whole life, and then when they have to face competition for playing time, they transfer as soon as they are beat out by someone better.

Are you saying Imani is one of those kids?

Because that's not what's going on at all.

I am not saying Imani is one of those kids, but I was giving response to someone saying "Cross knew exactly what he was walking into when he came to NU." It's a simple fact that most kids don't think they are going to be beat out by "someone better" when they go to college.

I don't know Imani, but he seems like a hard-working, level-headed kid. I just don't think he has the overall talent to be an effective, every down back. I could be wrong.

I rearranged your secondary a little bit and added a few extra names. I'm fairly sure DJ is a safety.

That is pretty exciting to think about. I love how much experience these young kids have and their potential for the future. Now, add in some guys who are redshirting this year and JUCO players committed and it gets even more exciting.

Secondary

S - Corey Cooper - SR / LeRoy Alexander - SO / Drake Martinez

S - Harvey Jackson - SR / Charles Jackson - JR / DJ Singleton

CB - Jonathon Rose - JR / Byerson Cockrell

100% no way Harvey Jackson starts at safety next year. He fell to at least 4th, maybe 5th, this year...and that was without Singleton and Martinez in the mix. LeRoy and Coop deserving should be the starters fairly easily.

I'd like to see someone else beside Kenny at the KOR position. He's fast only if he breaks it out in the open. Past few games he's looked hesitant on what he wants to do allowing the kicking team to get downfield.

It honestly might have to do more with his groin injury. He didn't look to be close to 100% in that game. I would like to see someone back there who isn't on our 1st team offense. Newby, if he can hold onto the ball and Alonzo Moore mabye?

How many fumbles did Newby have, out of curiosity? You seem to be harping on it quite a bit, yet I really don't remember all that many. I think I remember 2 lost, including the Michigan State one.

Also - in the games Newby had more than 1 carry, he had a 5.72 yard average. For some reason, possibly the fumbles?, after the first 6 games he went DNP, 1 carry, 1 carry, 1 carry, DNP, 1 carry. Anyway, there is no reason he shouldn't of gotten at least 4 carries a game. Ameer is good and all, but he gets tired. And yes Adam Taylor redshirted because he felt like he needed time to adjust his game and be mentally prepared for this level. He was a monster from what I hear.

If there is one thing about this staff I cannot stand, it is their reluctance to prepare for the future. We had no QB with in game experience and we have virtually no proven RB returning if Ameer doesn't come back. Even BAMA and Nicky Satan use true frosh RB's more than we do because he knows they will step in at some point to be a contributor.

Secondary

S - Corey Cooper - SR / Drake Martinez

S - Leroy Alexander / DJ Singleton

CB - Jonathon Rose - JR / Charles Jackson - JR

Nickel - Byerson

Trai Mosley is going to play next year as well. Mark it down.

100% no way Harvey Jackson starts at safety next year. He fell to at least 4th, maybe 5th, this year...and that was without Singleton and Martinez in the mix. LeRoy and Coop deserving should be the starters fairly easily.

CJax at CB.

Why did he ask to RS then? I'm guessing it might have something to do with the talent ahead of him. Just a thought. Not saying it's impossible for Taylor to improve in the off-season and challenge for the backup spot, but, given the amount of reps Cross has had in his two seasons here, he is significantly ahead of a RB who hasn't played a down for Nebraska.

He asked for a RS so he could work on himself and become the best RB he could be. Had nothing to do with the talent ahead of him. He wanted to work on his lower body strength and conditioning.

He has a total of 140 carries throughout his career. This year, he has 85. 54 of those coming in conference play, giving him an average of less than 5 carries per game. He has more on the field experience, but its not a lot IMO.

He's two years ahead of AT. I'm sorry, but I just don't believe he redshirted simply to get better. That it had nothing to do with the fact that he wouldn't play ahead of Imani or Terrell. I just don't buy it. I'm not saying he's a bad player or will never get better, I'm just saying that Imani has the leg up on the backup spot having been in the program for two seasons and having contributed in both of those seasons.

I think you're missing the point. At running back talent > experience any day of the week. Cross is just too slow to be an every down back. And Ron Brown said himself that if AT didn't ask to redshirt he would have had a significant role on the offense. And trust me unlike Newby, Taylor is physically ready to play in the B1G.

Why did he ask to RS then? I'm guessing it might have something to do with the talent ahead of him. Just a thought. Not saying it's impossible for Taylor to improve in the off-season and challenge for the backup spot, but, given the amount of reps Cross has had in his two seasons here, he is significantly ahead of a RB who hasn't played a down for Nebraska.

He asked for a RS so he could work on himself and become the best RB he could be. Had nothing to do with the talent ahead of him. He wanted to work on his lower body strength and conditioning.

He has a total of 140 carries throughout his career. This year, he has 85. 54 of those coming in conference play, giving him an average of less than 5 carries per game. He has more on the field experience, but its not a lot IMO.

He's two years ahead of AT. I'm sorry, but I just don't believe he redshirted simply to get better. That it had nothing to do with the fact that he wouldn't play ahead of Imani or Terrell. I just don't buy it. I'm not saying he's a bad player or will never get better, I'm just saying that Imani has the leg up on the backup spot having been in the program for two seasons and having contributed in both of those seasons.

I think you're missing the point. At running back talent > experience any day of the week. Cross is just too slow to be an every down back. And Ron Brown said himself that if AT didn't ask to redshirt he would have had a significant role on the offense. And trust me unlike Newby, Taylor is physically ready to play in the B1G.

Where Newby can really help himself is to get work done in the weight room. Newby looks really small/thin out there. Abdullah hit the weight room hard, and his work paid off the past 2 years.

Secondary

S - Corey Cooper - SR / Drake Martinez

S - Leroy Alexander / DJ Singleton

CB - Jonathon Rose - JR / Charles Jackson - JR

Nickel - Byerson

Trai Mosley is going to play next year as well. Mark it down.

CJax at CB.

Yup, in my version (post #23) I have CJax as an "or" with Rose and one CB spot and 1st for the nickleback spot.

I'd like to see someone else beside Kenny at the KOR position. He's fast only if he breaks it out in the open. Past few games he's looked hesitant on what he wants to do allowing the kicking team to get downfield.

It honestly might have to do more with his groin injury. He didn't look to be close to 100% in that game. I would like to see someone back there who isn't on our 1st team offense. Newby, if he can hold onto the ball and Alonzo Moore mabye?

How many fumbles did Newby have, out of curiosity? You seem to be harping on it quite a bit, yet I really don't remember all that many. I think I remember 2 lost, including the Michigan State one.

Also - in the games Newby had more than 1 carry, he had a 5.72 yard average. For some reason, possibly the fumbles?, after the first 6 games he went DNP, 1 carry, 1 carry, 1 carry, DNP, 1 carry. Anyway, there is no reason he shouldn't of gotten at least 4 carries a game. Ameer is good and all, but he gets tired. And yes Adam Taylor redshirted because he felt like he needed time to adjust his game and be mentally prepared for this level. He was a monster from what I hear.

If there is one thing about this staff I cannot stand, it is their reluctance to prepare for the future. We had no QB with in game experience and we have virtually no proven RB returning if Ameer doesn't come back. Even BAMA and Nicky Satan use true frosh RB's more than we do because he knows they will step in at some point to be a contributor.

I'd put that fumble on TA too, it was pretty far behind Newby on the option. Ameer woulda even had a hard time with that one.

I'd put that fumble on TA too, it was pretty far behind Newby on the option. Ameer woulda even had a hard time with that one.

If it hits your hands, its your job to bring it in, PERIOD. That is why these kids are on scholarship. I remember growing up and having coaches harp on us about this. "If it hits the palm of your hands (plural), its your job to bring it in". Its not like Newby was on a full sprint. He saw it coming, it hit his hands, he never pulled it in. You act like that ball was that far behind him and he had no chance in bringing it in. Just like the toss against Georgia. His to bring in and simply didn't get it done.

Newby, from what I can remember of, is at least 3. One in the Southern Miss game, Michigan State game and Georgia game. 54 carries, 3 fumbles. All I am stating is that he shows ball security issues and that could/can hurt him in position battle. Seems like every time we rely on him, he can't hold onto the ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWsC-KQY_xg?t=7m3s

@ 7:03 incase you really think that ball was that far behind him. He had both hands on it.